Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Hi all
My quest for the right reader for me is continuing now that I've sold my Oasis 3.

For those that have experience with a Clara HD and a Kindle Voyage (and/or other Kindles)...

What am I going to think of the screen clarity, sharpness & contrast of text and general quality of the visual experience when comparing a Clara HD against the Voyage in particular?

Thank you for any and all thoughts.
It would be Clara HD vs Voyage and Libra H2O vs Oasis 3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The collection list and the authors list are only text lists. If you don't want an image displayed, then I don't know what the point would be.
not that I don't want an image on the collections, and there isn't one at present on the main page, but that isn't my quest. I would simply like them going across screen rather than list form, the main collection screen.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

waiting on a sale to pick up a clara
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #19
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
see them going across the screen like book covers instead of a list going down screen. like Kindles do it, for instance
ok. if you mean being able to have multiple collections showing on the homescreen as book covers then i'm afraid you're out of luck. as i've already mentioned you are limited to seeing only the last collection you accessed which i believe shows on the bottom right of the homescreen.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #20
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
ok. if you mean being able to have multiple collections showing on the homescreen as book covers then i'm afraid you're out of luck. as i've already mentioned you are limited to seeing only the last collection you accessed which i believe shows on the bottom right of the homescreen.

best wishes koboy
thanks. I see a list, so more than one, but instead of a down list, I would prefer an across list like the page of books we see. currently, you're right, it's not doable and I know that. it's just what I, and at least one other poster, would prefer.
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #21
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks. I see a list, so more than one, but instead of a down list, I would prefer an across list like the page of books we see. currently, you're right, it's not doable and I know that. it's just what I, and at least one other poster, would prefer.
i agree it would be nice to have the choice/option. overall you're happy with the Clara HD, and i'd say that's the most important thing.

best wishes koboy
Old 12-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i agree it would be nice to have the choice/option. overall you're happy with the Clara HD, and i'd say that's the most important thing.

best wishes koboy
exactly. my wishes are just that. I am happy.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #23
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
exactly. my wishes are just that. I am happy.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #24
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be Clara HD vs Voyage and Libra H2O vs Oasis 3.
Not for me personally..

I'm interested specifically in screen sharpness and clarity and am ambivalent about the form factor and 1" screen size differences for the purposes of this discussion and comparison.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #25
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
waiting on a sale to pick up a clara
It's on sale right now, no?
Or do you mean you're waiting for an even better sale/price?
Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Not for me personally..

I'm interested specifically in screen sharpness and clarity and am ambivalent about the form factor and 1" screen size differences for the purposes of this discussion and comparison.
This is why I PM'd one person asking a related question suggesting they consider trying to find an H2O2. I went from a 300 ppi Clara to a 265 H2O2 and did not notice the "missing 35 ppi but really did notice the extra 0.8 inches of screen size, to an extent that very much surprised me, given that it is still small enough to fit in most of my pockets. And it had none of the screen issues that have been noted by many Clara and Libra owners.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is why I PM'd one person asking a related question suggesting they consider trying to find an H2O2. I went from a 300 ppi Clara to a 265 H2O2 and did not notice the "missing 35 ppi but really did notice the extra 0.8 inches of screen size, to an extent that very much surprised me, given that it is still small enough to fit in most of my pockets. And it had none of the screen issues that have been noted by many Clara and Libra owners.
I’ve thought about an H202 also...
Any other things you noticed, positive or negative, vs the Clara HD?

(Other than size/PPi)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #28
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I’ve thought about an H202 also...
Any other things you noticed, positive or negative, vs the Clara HD?

(Other than size/PPi)
Not really. I went from a PW3 to a Clara, and loved its amazing lightness, but when I had a chance to get us both an H2O2 at a significant discount I grabbed them for the bigger screen. It's heavier, of course, but not by much, and is still a comfortable literally "laptop" device.

I'm pretty sure that everything other than the PPI/screen size is identical to the Clara, since they run on the same firmware. I'm keeping an eye on the Libra, and may get one if the price is right, but since I tend to use my H2O2 hands-free, the buttons are not enough of an appeal to risk the screen issues I've read about here.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...I'm keeping an eye on the Libra, and may get one if the price is right, but since I tend to use my H2O2 hands-free, the buttons are not enough of an appeal to risk the screen issues I've read about here.
...and the Libra screen issues are real issues

(if you're sensitive to it, as I and many others are)

I'd honestly love Kobo to make a model with hardware buttons, but in a symmetrical design.
i.e. a Nook GL/GLP type of device, but by Kobo

I find the "handle" design of the Oasis/Libra/Forma to be a bit polarizing. You really either love it or don't. I sort of lean towards "don't". I really like switching hands a lot and it's so much easier to be able to do that without having to rotate the device.

Last edited by bookyboy; 12-12-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
...and the Libra screen issues are real issues

(if you're sensitive to it, as I and many others are)
Yep. Maybe I'd get lucky and get one without the problem, or maybe I wouldn't notice, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and our H2O2s most emphatically "ain't broke".