Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
tommik
Connoisseur
tommik began at the beginning.

Device: Poke Pro, Onyx Boox 60
Question Touch HD 3 - Fragile?

Hi, I am coming back after a long absence. I still use my first gen. Onyx Boox A60 from 2009! I would like to upgrade though.

Currently, I am torn between PB Touch HD 3 and Paperwhite 4. I would prefer PB but I read some comments of the users who dropped their device accidentally from a table etc and broke its screen even though it was sitting in the case. Is the screen really that fragile? As I said, I use my old ereader for a decade now, travelled with it around the world, dropped it many times without its case being on and it still works just OK. I would not like to switch to a device with a very fragile screen.
tommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommik View Post
Currently, I am torn between PB Touch HD 3 and Paperwhite 4. I would prefer PB but I read some comments of the users who dropped their device accidentally from a table etc and broke its screen even though it was sitting in the case. Is the screen really that fragile?
Somebody who drops his PB's for test would surely have an answer. I used to have a Touch HD 2. It was very solid. I never dropped it though, never twisted it, never sat on it...
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
tommik
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Somebody who drops his PB's for test would surely have an answer.
Thanks for the answer. Not necessarily, someone might have dropped it accidentally a few times and now share the result
Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
For the first time in my ereader-owning life I broke a display in a bag. The Inkpad 3 Pro is my 8th ereader in nearly a decade and none before even had as much as a scratch. I used the same brand of cover in just a different colour as with my KA1 and a handbag I've used a zillion times with it. Had the reader only for a week, too, so all around major bummer.

I ordered another Inkpad 3 Pro but bought an insurance for it (another first).

If you want a reader with a not so fragile screen get a Kobo Forma, it has a mobius screen, which is flexible.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
tommik
Connoisseur

Too bad, this is what I was afraid of. I guess I will pass on PB.
Advert
Old 11-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I dropped my Touch HD3 in its cover at least 3 times from 1 - 1.5 m on a concrete floor. Accidentally. Apart from a little scratch it is still in perfect condition.

I guess I was lucky.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Too bad, this is what I was afraid of. I guess I will pass on PB.
Even though I am not a fan of buying a lot with Amazon*, I did order the PB from them, because they offered a one year insurance for just 12.50€. Maybe you could do the same?

*Oh, well, if I am honest, I've been ordering quite a bit there lately.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
tommik
Connoisseur

There are 2 reasons why I would not like to do it:
1) I do not want to have it broken when I am on the go. And still it will be somewhat of a hassle to have it sent for repairs. I would rather buy something more reliable.
2) I do not envision to change my ereader within at least next 5 years. The insurance covering that much time would be quite costly. I would rather take that money and buy an ereader that is one shelf above it.
Thanks for your inputs.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are 2 reasons why I would not like to do it:
1) I do not want to have it broken when I am on the go. And still it will be somewhat of a hassle to have it sent for repairs. I would rather buy something more reliable.
2) I do not envision to change my ereader within at least next 5 years. The insurance covering that much time would be quite costly. I would rather take that money and buy an ereader that is one shelf above it.
Thanks for your inputs.
All ereaders are about equally reliable in cover. A Mobius screen (Kobo Forma) is of course tons more reliable than any glass screen - and all other ereaders have glass screens. Similar to smartphones - if you drop it outside the cover, do not expect the glass to survive.

A good device for on-the-go reading is a 5" ereader, sturdier due to smaller size and more pocketable. Unfortunately those are scarce these days. I got lucky when one was on offer in the market section of this forum.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
tommik
Connoisseur

As far as I know there are many other ereaders with mobius screens. For example Onyx ereaders. I think I will go with Onyx Poke Pro.

Last edited by tommik; 11-16-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
As far as I know there are many other ereaders with mobius screens. For example Onyx ereaders. I think I will go with Onyx Poke Pro.
Only Onyx 13.3" e-readers and Kobo Forma have Mobius screens. Maybe Onyx Note 2 also, if I am reading right. Poke does not have it. Mobius screens are rare.

Last edited by mobama; 11-16-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #12
tommik
Connoisseur

I know that Onyx claims otherwise: https://medium.com/@OnyxBoox/how-muc...g-9a7a76b30e2c
I do not know, I did not see those in real life but I would trust that they know what they are saying.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
I know that Onyx claims otherwise: https://medium.com/@OnyxBoox/how-muc...g-9a7a76b30e2c
I do not know, I did not see those in real life but I would trust that they know what they are saying.
Yes, I'd think so too! Ottischwenk has a Poke Pro. You could ask him how he likes it.The Likebook Ares has a mobius screen, too.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
If so, then Onyx must be the first to have put a Mobius screen on a 6" e-reader. Mobius screens on Onyxes are indeed many, but other than that, Mobius screens are rare.

Besides, there are other things than screen that can break. In a similar situation as yourself, I would have taken the opportunity to try out a different kind of e-reader. Just in terms of build quality, Kobos have generally seemed the best for me and Onyxes the worst. But of course familiarity of the platform has its value.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
kakonema
kakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipediakakonema knows more than wikipedia

Device: PB632 THD3
Own the touch hd 3 for a couple of months now and never had any problems. I use my pocketbook without a cover and carry it with me in a jacket pockets while riding a bicycle so they are not as fragile as someone may think.

As for the replacement screen, i've read on german forum where one member is working for pocketbook, who wrote that if you send them a mail with statement that you did use a cover and you didn't do anything that normaly would cause a screen to break, but it break anyway, they will replace the screen for you for free.
kakonema is offline   Reply With Quote