Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
kontinos
kontinos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Completely new, no idea what to buy.

I think title says it all . I have never owned an ebook reader and am planning to get one.

I have read several posts in the forums and i have a slight idea of what my needs may be, still i would like your help.

Having tried to read on my 6" smartphone, i believe i need a bigger screen for reading, it was annoying having to scroll every few seconds because of the small reading surface.

I read almost every night before sleeping, so a screen with light is a plus.
I mostly download content, so sideloading easily is a must.

I have read that android ebook readers have reduced battery time, i would prefer something that lasts longer since i forget to charge my devices quite often.

Easy to use software since i have never had such a device before.

Greek language support would be nice.

Good handling of pdfs, though not mandatory.

The devices i have considered, due to lack of offer in our market, are the Tolino Epos, Inkpad3 and Kobo Forma, and to a lesser extent due to the smaller screen the Aura H2O.
However i can consider every option as long as it can be bought within the EU from a trusted seller, most importantly for the warranty.

Any help is welcome .
kontinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
First, the E Ink devices do not scroll they page turn. They need to create the full page and don't move pixel by pixel.

Second, a eBook Reader has a 4:3 screen so it holds more data than you might expect when compared to a typical smart phone. See screen sizes in our wiki to figure out what size screen you might need. You can use the dimensions given on the page to cut out a piece of paper the correct size. Cutting a news paper can give you an idea of how much text you can see.

Generally an android device eats batteries due to wifi and background processes. If you manage this it can do ok on battery life. E Ink screens create the image and no power is used to maintain the image unless the front light is on. See our wiki for how this works. For background you might want to look a the Category:EBook_fundamentals for a selection of basic eBook data.

Good luck on your quest.
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Ereader screen size comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3wUsuxP7Y

Edited to add that the above video is not of this year's models. Still, it could be useful for you to see ereaders of various sizes lined up together for comparison.

Last edited by 4691mls; 06-25-2019 at 03:41 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Easy mental comparison: 6" screen == mass market paperback page, 8" screen == trade paperback or small hardcover book. If you want to read full page-sized PDFs (like academic journals or papers), you'll need something bigger than that.

I'm very happy with my Inkpad 3 (7.8" screen). I had a 6" Kindle for years before that and I sometimes still read on my older device, but the Inkpad screen is far superior. I do use the frontlight and a battery charge lasts for weeks on it.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Yes, 6 inches versus 8 inches is a big deal. Especially as you get older and your eyes get more fussy and cranky with small text.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #6
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
Easy mental comparison: 6" screen == mass market paperback page, 8" screen == trade paperback or small hardcover book. If you want to read full page-sized PDFs (like academic journals or papers), you'll need something bigger than that.

I'm very happy with my Inkpad 3 (7.8" screen). I had a 6" Kindle for years before that and I sometimes still read on my older device, but the Inkpad screen is far superior. I do use the frontlight and a battery charge lasts for weeks on it.
In my case 8" 300 dpi eink screen of Kobo Aura One (using Koreader app) is usually good enough even for reading full page-sized PDF (A4 or US-letter sized academic journals), because I don't mind reading two or three screens per pdf page (in landscape mode with margins completely cropped for A4 documents with 15-16 cm text width), or four screens per page (for two-column A4 pdf in portraite, using two-column mode, or zoom & panning for three or more column pdfs), or using pdf reflow mode (e.g. for single-column A4 documents with 17-18 cm text width) when the original text width is larger than approx. 16 cm (6.2 inch) screen width of 8" reader in landscape.

If our reader and its apps are good & fast enough we could also use zoom & panning instead of its multi-column modes, fit-to-content-width landscape mode, reflow modes etc.

Also, if there are a lot of colored tables, graphs, diagrams etc. then we should use our tablet as auxiliary device, if we still wanted to read the rest of pdf document on eink screen.

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-26-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This thread is so general and timeless that I have decided to stick it at the top for new visitors of MobileRead looking for information. If you want to add more comments keep them as timeless and instructional as possible for a brand new potential user with no experience.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
One very important thing to consider is where you be get your ebooks. If you are going to buy them from a Store (e.g. Kobo, Amazon, Apple, ...) then you need to pair your store choice/options with the reader choice, taking into consideration the format of the ebook (ePub, AZW3, Mobi, PDF, ...) and a particular reader's ability to read various formats.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Here's a picture of the newest Paperwhite with a 6" screen on the left, the 2018 Oasis with the 7" screen on the right.

Font size at 5, thinnest line spacing and margin, screen light all the way up.

I love my Oasis, but it has a dismal battery life. I get 15-17 hours of useful life. I usually use the font size shown here, light all the way up, except when reading in a dark room. I read fast, so lots of page turns. I don't mind the poor battery enough to get rid of the Oasis, most of my reading is done at home, so charging it every 3 days isn't a problem.

I bought the Paperwhite for traveling, since it is smaller, and has a much better battery life. I haven't used it enough to know exactly yet though. It will be easier to toss in my purse for reading in the car on our upcoming trip.

Having picture uploading trouble...not sure what is wrong. I can't upload a picture from my ipad or from my computer. After I select Upload, I get a blank browser window on both.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-27-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This thread is so general and timeless that I have decided to stick it at the top for new visitors of MobileRead looking for information. If you want to add more comments keep them as timeless and instructional as possible for a brand new potential user with no experience.

Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
One very important thing to consider is where you be get your ebooks. If you are going to buy them from a Store (e.g. Kobo, Amazon, Apple, ...) then you need to pair your store choice/options with the reader choice, taking into consideration the format of the ebook (ePub, AZW3, Mobi, PDF, ...) and a particular reader's ability to read various formats.
Due to the sticky...

Apprentice Alf and Calibre should also be Googled.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
kontinos
kontinos began at the beginning.

Ok, i think i have some tips, after a lot of reading and going through several threads of forums, and having decided to get the inkpad 3, i can tell you this, for a newcomer in the ereader community:

1. Start out with the screen size. Cut out some newspaper or cardboard in the sizes of the screens available and decide, if you cant see a device in a shop live.
2. Be clear about where you will get your ebooks from and how/if your new device can handle them in the format you attain them.
3. If you think you can convert those files for the device you opt for, research first if it is doable, and also try out the respective software to see if you are comfortable with it, not everyone can use everything with ease (most use calibre).
4. Don't neglect to get a case/cover for your ereader's protection, you will regret it. Think about if you want it to have sleep option on covering of the device and if you need it.
5. Prioritize your needs. The ereader you chose can be waterproof, have text-to-speech, bluetooth connection, have an integrated light, be able to take notes with a pen on it, be able to sync with whatever device you want, have a "pure" ereader ui or be android so you can use apps, where will you get those apps from? It is up to you, just try to know what you need.
6. Consider the screen size again. Is it suitable for what you will use it? You cant read comics on a 6" device, also there are no colours. Is it right for you?
7. Think about the cost. You have never owned an ereader before, might never have seen one, however you have chosen your dream device, but it costs 210euros, and the cheapest models cost like 70euros. Will you risk dishing out that cash for a device you IMAGINE is perfect for you but might disappoint you? Or are you willing to compromise with the cheapest model to get a glance at what those ereaders are, and after that decide if you want to make the big step? Do i need it now or can i wait for a discount?
8. Last, but not least, think about everything you would think about every device. How the guarantee is, the return policy of your retailer, after sales etc.

There are like "tons" of other questions i needed to answer for my decision, but with this baseline i think i made the right choice.
kontinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If you want to be able to read library ebooks on your device, check with your library to find out what system they use and what devices will work with it.

If you post in this forum to ask for help choosing an ereader, INCLUDE YOUR LOCATION since not all devices are available in all countries.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
hcdoro
hcdoro began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
I am also consider on the eink tablet reader, may be 10", as I use the samsung galaxy note for read but there were not good for my eye now. I am review on likebook mimas, likebook alita, oxyn note pro, epad whereas the competitive capacity. My question is:
- as the Samsung galaxy note, there were an app is write on pdf, I really enjoy with that. I wonder the eink can install that for for read and write or not
- how often those update the firmware
- which is the best for eye sight flush for long reading period
hcdoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:36 AM   #14
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Sorry to return to the original post but it is a major question and one I didn't find an easy answer to when buying my first e-reader maybe 4-5 years ago. The important thing is to continue enjoying reading.

For a first e-reader I’d suggest keeping things simple and going for a Kobo or Kindle Paperwhite. Kobo is probably best with support for epub books which are readily available. If you are going to buy your books on Amazon Kindle ebooks have their own format. Not such a problem if you are technically minded and can convert epub books formats on a computer to how you want but it may be difficult to start with.

Next is the size of screen. There are some who complain about their ageing eyes but I just enlarge the font on the Paperwhite. Relevant here is that I bought a Boyue Alita attracted by the note taking option and the larger screen. Apart from costing silly money and having little support this was a mistake on two counts. Firstly portability. My Kindle slips easily into a pocket and accompanied me a lot of the time. The 10” screen Alita is too bulky to fit in a pocket and so stays at home. The use of e-readers for note taking sounds great but it has a long way to go before replacing pen and paper or a PC.

Something that may not be considered is the possibility that e-readers just may not suit you. My wife was an avid reader and I bought her a Kobo. Why clutter the house with physical books when you can store a library in digital form? She doesn’t enjoy reading with the new technology. It’s got nothing to do with size of font or physical control of the device. That’s just how it is. In my case I’ve found e-readers an improvement and am reading more than before.

Battery life on e-readers is very good but be aware that if you have them internet connected during use the battery drains fairly quickly. They are also pretty rubbish for surfing. Reading comics for me is inconceivable without a colour screen. In the case of audio books most e-readers do not support them.

Avoid splashing out large sums for a first e-reader and remember that it is useful to be able to slip it in your pocket as a constant companion. If it doesn’t suit out of the box spend time with the instructions and explore the settings. It’s time well spent if you can then enjoy reading without fixating on the hardware.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
Easy mental comparison: 6" screen == mass market paperback page, 8" screen == trade paperback or small hardcover book.
I've seen this misinformation too often. I judge based on width because that has the most direct impact on readability, pocketability etc. and not height. Let us examine these sizes.

MMPB (US) = 4.25'' x 6.87''
TP/H (standard) = 6'' x 9''
TP/H (large) = 8.5'' x 11''

Basing the aspect ratio of ereaders at 3:4 we have

6'' (standard) = 3.6'' x 4.8''
7'' (premium) = 4.2'' x 5.6''
8'' (large) = 4.8'' x 6.4''
10'' (professional) = 6.0'' x 8.0''
13.3'' (pdf reader) = 8.0'' x 10.6''

Matching these we see that the 7'' ereader (and NOT the 6'') most closely matches the dimensions of a mass-market paperback. And the 10'' ereader (and NOT the 7'') most closely matches a traditional trade paperback or hardcover. Finally the 13.3'' ereader most closely matches the large trade paperback/hardcover and is also the best fit for reading pdfs without scaling.

I really think that 6'' wasn't chosen because it matches a size of any type of book. The first generations of ereaders had large keyboards on them and I think that if they went any higher on screen size it would lose all portability. And whether you have a keyboard or not once you go beyond 6'' it becomes less and less portable.

If you still don't believe me (I don't know why, it is direct factual information) try this... find the font size on your favorite 6'' ereader that will put as much text on the screen as a mass market paperback. Is the font size the same as you would find in an mmpb or smaller?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote