Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #16
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
with your registration comes a few unpleasant gifts like privacy invasion and data tracking. your data gets sold. not sure how bad Kobo is, and I don't intend to find out, but Amazon scrapes every bit of data they can. you have no privacy.
What data? What no privacy?

No, really, what data and what no privacy?

I've bought a few dozen books from Kobo's store and... nothing that indicates the behavior you describe. Certainly there are the analytics on my purchase history which does show up as suggestions on Kobo's storefront when I log in but everyone gets that treatment whether or not they have a registered device.

If you have specific evidence of this behavior then I'm open to reading about it but otherwise? Leave the tinfoil hattery outside.
ratinox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #17
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
What data? What no privacy?

No, really, what data and what no privacy?

I've bought a few dozen books from Kobo's store and... nothing that indicates the behavior you describe. Certainly there are the analytics on my purchase history which does show up as suggestions on Kobo's storefront when I log in but everyone gets that treatment whether or not they have a registered device.

If you have specific evidence of this behavior then I'm open to reading about it but otherwise? Leave the tinfoil hattery outside.
overreaction.

we were talking in general and why I, and others, prefer not to register on their desktop app.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-10-2019 at 03:00 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
for me, it's not giving in. yes, you're right, but should I just lay down and give up, completely give in? no. it's not me and never will be. I know how bad it is, and it shouldn't be, but we live in big brother world now. so I do what little I can. it's enough for me, to give me some kind of peace.
Well, to each his/her own. I'm not a fighter type and don't think in those terms. Giving in to what? Resisting what? Such a worldview is alien to me. I don't see myself as a lonely hero fighting the system (whatever that may be). I'm part of the world and the society I live in, as faulty and imperfect as it is, and I don't think the world is any more "bad" today than it was in the past. It was bad before too, only in a different way. It's always been bad. Because humans have always been egotistical bastards.

But naturally others have different views on the matter and that's good, because otherwise nothing would ever change.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #19
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
overreaction. we were talking in general and why I, and others, prefer not to register on their desktop app.
You make this assertion. Please back it up.
ratinox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Giving in to what? Resisting what?
to having every bit of my privacy taken.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #21
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
You make this assertion. Please back it up.
tin hattery... please

we were discussing privacy in this day and time
Old 12-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
to having every bit of my privacy taken.
No one can take your privacy unless you give it. And you have to give it, to live in the modern world and use the modern amenities. Can't have the one without the other. The easier and more comfortable the life, the less privacy there is. And that's always been the same way, no matter the time period. If one wants privacy, one will have to live outside society, and not use the benefits of said society.

Moreover, privacy is a pretty modern invention. Medieval nobles and peasants, for example, had no idea what it even was. Life outside society usually meant extreme poverty and death in those days. So no one yearned for privacy then. Everyone knew who you were and what you did. That was life. Compared to that, we have quite copious amounts of privacy now, as one can survive in the modern world even without any family and not knowing one's neighbors.

I've always found it fascinating, comparing the ways people used to think in the past to the ways they think today. Ordinary people, not the giants and geniuses.

But that's enough blathering from me.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #23
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
You guys are getting off topic.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
You guys are getting off topic.
Yeah. I apologize.