Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
PB 360 freeze question

I've reported before that my PB360 started freezing or spontaneously rebooting. It was suggested a faulty battery in connection with a battery indicator bug (the battery indicator never seems to show the battery less than half or three quarters full) might be the cause.

But I'm wondering. This morning it's started locking up again. Basically, I can't read a couple of pages without it freezing again.
But I've noticed it seems to freeze particulary when I'm trying to read a lengthy book -- in this case, a Dutch translation of Stendhal's Chartreuse de Parme. Just now it also froze when I tried to leaf through the French version of the same.

But just before that, I'd leaved through a couple of chapters of Shelley's Frankenstein without problems, and also through a 40 pages short story.

Does the PB generally have more trouble with lengthy books and/or huge files? (Not that the files are all that big: 511 Kb for the French original, 1.4 Mb for the Dutch translation.)

Or does FBreader (the 1.81 version) have problems with that?

In any case, I'm getting pretty annoyed with the whole thing.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
U seem to have a similar problem like mdmorrissey. He also has random freezes mostly when reading and turning a page.

If u Hardreset the PB and have 14.2 Firmware Installed the pocketbook should be rockstable.

I read about 4000 Pages now, without any !! freeze. I had one freeze with 15.2 but its still beta. Under 14.2 flawless.

What is FBReader 1.81 ? I use 0.90 from here
BTW do you use your with PB a sd card ? Mine is still without, maybe thats a issue.
If anything is tested and still it freezes than ur PB is maybe broke and need really service.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apologies about the FB version number. I was mistaken by the 180 in the zip file name. I have the same you have, only a slightly older version (0.8). I'll update that just to be sure.

I never installed the 15.x firmware, always stayed with 14.2. Don't plan to start using 15 until I hear the freeze problems there are over. This is annoying enough as it is.

It's true there's an sd card in it, and I don't even use it. I'd already taken it out this morning, since I got a sort of double boot again (although generally this sd card doesn't give me the double boot problem some sd cards give; I had that earlier with another sd card).

I'll leave that out for a while and see if that helps. And recharge it more regularly, maybe every night, just to be sure.

(I've also deleted all logo files, in case they might cause a hang on boot up. But I don't think that really was a problem.)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
I have 50 logos on.
4 different themes, switching every ones in a while
several Font sets, also switching around.
modified config files
about 200MB of dictionarys
50 Books mostly EPUB out of PDF, but also FB2 and CSS as well as the whole selfhtml in offline.
The third version now of FBReader (0.90 actual)
Use it with about weekly charging, drain mostly down to 1 Indicator.

What I dont have:
SD Card
Profile set enabled

I mostly switch it not off, only keylock. Use the Wristturn in FBReader on and off.
I think nothing of the normal use or files should bring the PB into an unstable state.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have had 360 about month now. It has never frozen. I even disabled auto power-off so I rarely boot it and still no freezes. I have read about 15 shorter books (200-250 kB) and now reading very long one (1.1MB). I use the original firmware that was installed.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
franklekens
Addict

It didn't use to freeze. Only the past month or so.

Maybe it's the sd card gone potty. I'll see how I fare without it. (Although I *should* be able to use it, of course.) And/or the battery.

Anyone know where replacement batteries are available?

And what's 'profile set'?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Firmware 15.x has an option to store different sets of setting for different users. Like different user accounts on a PC. A very powerful idea for an ebook reader that might be used by different members of the family.
Or for a single user who wants to switch lots of things all at once...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote