Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
SFWA removes Amazon.com links from website

http://www.sfwa.org/2010/02/sfwa-rem...-from-website/

Quote:
Due to Amazon.com’s removal of many of our authors’ books from its ordering system, we are removing Amazon.com links from our website. Our authors depend on people buying their books and since a significant percentage of them publish through Macmillan or its subsidiaries, we would prefer to send traffic to stores where the books can actually be purchased.

To that end, our volunteers are in the process of redirecting book links to indiebound.org, Powell’s, Barnes and Noble, and Borders.

Many authors are being hit hard by this, so we encourage you to seek out new places to find their books.

Edited to add: It is worth noting, that if a book is only available on Amazon, we are leaving the link in place. Our goal is to make sure that it is possible to order our members’ fiction. Hurting authors to make a point about a publishing model is bad business, for anyone.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And it grows!

I think I need to send an email to SFWA.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
Sorry, but as much as I love scifi, I'm still not going to go buy Macmillan authors elsewhere. And some of their more prominent membership throwing public temper tantrums and acting as though we the consumers owe them a living just cements my position.

I refuse to reward Macmillan's behavior with my hard-earned money. If that means some authors have to take day jobs, so be it.

("What? How can you be so cruel? Why don't you care about the poor, starving, innocent authors? They deserve your money! GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!")
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
Sorry, but as much as I love scifi, I'm still not going to go buy Macmillan authors elsewhere. And some of their more prominent membership throwing public temper tantrums and acting as though we the consumers owe them a living just cements my position.

I refuse to reward Macmillan's behavior with my hard-earned money. If that means some authors have to take day jobs, so be it.

("What? How can you be so cruel? Why don't you care about the poor, starving, innocent authors? They deserve your money! GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!")
Exactly. I just sent an email to them as well as posting a response to that story on the front page.

It's certainly not like the authors are going to get any more $$ from it.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post

But it doesn't have to be that way.

J.A. Konrath has shown that--he puts up ebook versions of his older, "the publisher didn't even want to be bothered" books at $1.99 (since he has his own ebook rights) and sells enough so that it is a substantial supplement to his income from new books.

At $2.99 and the new 70% royalty rate kicking in this coming June, he makes more from the $2.99 ebook sale than he does from the $24.95 hardcover from his publisher and if sales trends continue, he will make >$40K a year on ebook sales.

The authors make more money, the readers get better pricing...the publishers are irrelevant.

I've gotta say the <$3.00 purchase price is such an "impulse buy" sweet spot for me...I would buy tons of ebooks at that price.

At $9.99 for an ebook, considering that I don't actually have a physical book and the ebook is locked down with DRM, I'm really not all that interested. (Take away the DRM and $9.99, while not great, is tolerable, at least IMO.)
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Hmm...so the SFWA is keen on directing people who visit their Web page to places where people can obtain copies of books written by their membership? Wonderful! I look forward to having a convenient list of links to download scanned copies of all those Tor-imprint books Macmillan refuses to allow to be released in e-book format.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The funny thing is, by sticking up for Macmillan, the SFWA is telling us they think $15 ebooks are ok and Macmillan twisting Amazon's arm is ok. Amazon is not the bad guy here, but they were stupid to remove Macmillan books which upset author groups.

I suppose we should only expect SFWA to align themselves with the publishers rather than science fiction readers who want cheaper books.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
ATTENTION BOOK AUTHORS

This is soooo old that it is new again,

Baen Free Library
http://www.baen.com/library/

What's your poison" Hardback, paperback, DRM FREE ebook?

Lets check out Harry Turtledove;
http://www.baen.com/author_catalog.a...or=hturtledove

Bridge of the Separator
ISBN:1-4165-0918-6, $24.00
Hardcover (December 2005)

ISBN:1-4165-2139-9, $7.99
Paperback (July 2007)

DOI:1416509186, $6.00
eBook (December 2005)

Too much you say!

Well try David Drake;
http://www.webscription.net/s-32-dav...rerFilterID=0&

An Oblique Approach by David Drake and Eric Flint (Baen Books) FREE.

Want a male oriented romance/thriller ? Try "The Great Right Hope" for $5.99
http://www.ll-publications.com/greatrighthope.html

There ARE other options, but $15 for a drm book that YOU DO NOT EVEN OWN is not one of them.

No thank you Macmillan and SFWA. I am spending less on a lot more books now.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 02-04-2010 at 09:07 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
This is soooo old that it is new again,

Baen Free Library
http://www.baen.com/library/

What's your poison" Hardback, paperback, DRM FREE ebook?

Lets check out Harry Turtledove;
http://www.baen.com/author_catalog.a...or=hturtledove

Bridge of the Separator
ISBN:1-4165-0918-6, $24.00
Hardcover (December 2005)

ISBN:1-4165-2139-9, $7.99
Paperback (July 2007)

DOI:1416509186, $6.00
eBook (December 2005)

Too much you say!

Well try David Drake;
http://www.webscription.net/s-32-dav...rerFilterID=0&

An Oblique Approach by David Drake and Eric Flint (Baen Books) FREE.

Want a male oriented romance/thriller ? Try "The Great Right Hope" for $5.99
http://www.ll-publications.com/greatrighthope.html

There ARE other options, but $15 for a drm book that YOU DO NOT EVEN OWN is not one of them.

No thank you Macmillan and SFWA. I am spending less on a lot more books now.

And Poul Anderson, Robert A Heinlein, Murray Leinster, Cordwainer Smith....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Baen's move on some of scifi's best back catalogue was bluntly inspired.

And *blinks* Mission of Honour. Crap, was going to bed...now er...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Baen's move on some of scifi's best back catalogue was bluntly inspired.
Quoted For Truth!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
But it doesn't have to be that way.

J.A. Konrath has shown that--he puts up ebook versions of his older, "the publisher didn't even want to be bothered" books at $1.99 (since he has his own ebook rights) and sells enough so that it is a substantial supplement to his income from new books.
Do you happen to know the website he uses to do that? I would be interested in taking a look. Thanks!
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
Do you happen to know the website he uses to do that? I would be interested in taking a look. Thanks!
Tsk tsk.

http://www.jakonrath.com
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #14
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
CJ Cherryh has done a similar thing http://www.closed-circle.net/WhereItsAt/?page_id=11

Fairly new so not that many books available yet, but she's working on getting more there. A case in point that it isn't completely easy to release old books as ebook versions. A lot of work needs to be done before they're ready.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
kennyc

I got a response to my SFWA email from Mary Kowal, Secretary SFWA:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Chaffin,

On the issue of pricing, people have differing opinions on whether Amazon or Macmillan is pursuing the correct strategy. What we’re responding to is Amazon removing links to our members’ works. Amazon is in its rights to remove those links, but we prefer to send our links to stores where readers can find our members’ work.

To use an oversimplified analogy, if someone needed to buy a widget, would you send them to a store which doesn't carry that widget?

Yours,
Mary