Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Replacing Sony 505 and want info about lighting options

My Sony PRS-505 seems to be flaking out so it's time to look for my next reader. I don't need anything fancy since I just want to read fiction. I do create books from multiple HTML pages but I'm assuming these files will work on any reader that supports epub or mobi- the two formats I use most.

One of my most important criteria is a reader I can use in the dark since I love to read in bed with the light off . I ALMOST bought an Ectaco Jetbook last night and at the last second realized the screen is not backlit. I still own (retired) 2 GEB1150s and one REB1200 and seriously miss the backlighting those old dinosaurs offered.

I am back to square one with e-ink choices since LCD offers no backlighting anyway. I love my 505 but figure if I have to buy something new, I may as well look at newer devices. That's just how I am .

I haven't found a light wedge for anything except the 505 - are they made for any other readers out there? It's not the greatest lighting option but I really hate a light shining down on the reader if I can help it. Any ideas, suggestions are appreciated. Deciding on a new reader is hard enough and if lighting options are out there, that may help me choose something this decade!

Thanks for any input,
Katelyn
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I don't know of any other lightwedge options for ebook devices (other than a standalone lightwedge book light!). But if you want a new device primarily for reading (and not dictionary/notes/etc.), I'd recommend the SOny 300. A bit more portable than the 505, similar simplicity and ease of use, great battery life, etc.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
miao
miao doesn't littermiao doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Katelyn, in my opinion there is nothing more suitable for your needs than the 505 with the light wedge. Ebook formats can be very easily converted with the great and free Calibre.

My choice is the PRS-600 and Verilux Natural Spectrum Reading Light. Whereas I am going to buy the 600 next week, I have been using the Verilux Natural Spectrum Reading Light for about a year and I love it. I use it quite often despite the fact that I also own the PRS-505 light wedge.
BTW, how long has it taken for your 505 to get to the stage of flaking out?
miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I use the MightyBright book light. With just one light turned on, it's more than enough to see everything I'm reading and is very good for power outages too.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by miao View Post
Katelyn, in my opinion there is nothing more suitable for your needs than the 505 with the light wedge. Ebook formats can be very easily converted with the great and free Calibre.

My choice is the PRS-600 and Verilux Natural Spectrum Reading Light. Whereas I am going to buy the 600 next week, I have been using the Verilux Natural Spectrum Reading Light for about a year and I love it. I use it quite often despite the fact that I also own the PRS-505 light wedge.
BTW, how long has it taken for your 505 to get to the stage of flaking out?
My god man, what IS that thing?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post
I use the MightyBright book light. With just one light turned on, it's more than enough to see everything I'm reading and is very good for power outages too.
Does this clip onto the cover or the ebook reader itself? Would it work with a bare 505 (or Kindle) without the cover?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
One of my most important criteria is a reader I can use in the dark since I love to read in bed with the light off .
Katelyn, that's me all the way. I'd like to read more in the daytime with natural lighting, but I'm usually too busy and reading at night relaxes me and helps me wind down. I don't like too much lighting around me even if I'm sitting on the sofa and because that's my main way of reading, my "go to" reader is almost always the 700 read in landscape mode. The built in light is warmer than the others and somehow it makes the page look really white. In portrait mode, the light hits the page kind of weird, but in landscape mode it's close to perfect, which is fine because all of your controls on the touchscreen orient to how you're holding it. My 505 is the only one that I read in portrait mode probably because of the button and screen placement.

If you do most of your reading in bed, in the dark, you'll love the 700.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I really love my 505 but since I want to replace it, I'd like to try something else besides a Sony. With the new models coming out, the Sony's square corners just look a bit, well, "dated".

I used to read my 1150s upside down because I'm left handed and loved the ability to rotate the screen. I'm enamored with the Cybook Opus and it's sexy rounded corners but won't buy it unless there is a fix released for the freezing up issue. I don't plan to trade one headache for another. I'm also very drawn to the Pocketbook 360 and patiently await it's American release and reviews I can understand (read: English language posts and videos ). Only problem with that device is that there is nothing to attach a light to . Adding a leather case would defeat the purpose of the built in cover.

That newfangled Verilux Natural Spectrum Reading Light looks interesting indeed.

As for the Sony 700 - I've seen it and don't like the poor resolution. Looking through all that glass really distorts the font quality and sharpness.

So, I'm down to the Opus VS 360 and will wait a few months to see if the 360 is released in the US and look forward to the reviews. Maybe the Opus will get a firmware update by then.

Until backlighting comes back in style, there will never be the perfect solution for night reading on ereaders. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
As for the Sony 700 - I've seen it and don't like the poor resolution. Looking through all that glass really distorts the font quality and sharpness.
This is true. It seems each of my readers have a designated reading spot in my house. I read my 505 when I'm reading outside or using natural light. I read from my 700 when I'm reading at night and I use my 600 almost exclusively on the StairMaster, which is where I keep my MightyBright Flex 2 booklight clipped. It works great on that. In truth, if it wasn't for the built in dictionary, I wouldn't have a need for the 600. I suppose I really don't need it at all, but the 505 & the 700 definitely have a solid home on my bookshelf.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote