Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Can someone smarter then me explain what this means?

An official from amazon made an announcement on the amazon forums. Part of it stated this:

PLEASE NOTE: You cannot transfer your Kindle purchases from your computer to your Kindles via USB unless you schedule delivery using one of the methods above.

Does that mean that we can no longer transfer books we downloaded onto computer from feedbooks and here onto the kindle?

Heres the full post:

Kindle 2 Content Transfer:
We store all your purchases from the Kindle Store on Amazon.com so you can access your books and other content from multiple Kindles, including Kindle 2, as long as the Kindles are registered to the same account. For your convenience, we store your annotations as well as the last page read in each book so you can pick up reading where you left off. We make it easy to transfer books and subscriptions from one Kindle to another.

Here are your options:

SCHEDULE DELIVERY OF EXISTING CONTENT
If you visit the Manage Your Kindle page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle) after placing your Kindle 2 order, you'll see your new Kindle 2 listed in the "Download/Send to" choices in the "Your orders and individual charges" section. You can schedule delivery of your existing books before your Kindle 2 even arrives. Your books will be automatically downloaded to your Kindle when you turn on the device, provided that you are in wireless range.

DOWNLOAD ARCHIVED ITEMS AFTER KINDLE 2 ARRIVES
When Kindle 2 arrives, you'll see the options "Archived Items" on the Home screen and "View Archived Items" on the Home Menu. Either of these options will allow you to automatically wirelessly download your Kindle content stored on Amazon.com.

UPDATE SUBSCRIPTION DELIVERY SETTINGS
Subscription content can only be delivered to one Kindle registered your Amazon.com account. You can transfer a periodical subscription from one Kindle for delivery to another in the "Your Active Kindle subscriptions." section of the Manage Your Kindle page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).

EMAIL PERSONAL DOCUMENTS
If you visit the Manage Your Kindle page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle) after placing your Kindle 2 order, you can give your Kindle 2 an e-mail address and verify your list of approved senders. You can e-mail personal documents to be downloaded and waiting for you when Kindle 2 arrives.

TRANSFER PERSONAL DOCUMENTS VIA USB
You can use the USB connection on your Kindles to copy personal documents to your computer from one Kindle and then drag it to a new Kindle 2.

PLEASE NOTE: You cannot transfer your Kindle purchases from your computer to your Kindles via USB unless you schedule delivery using one of the methods above.

Kindle 2 Shipping:
Kindle 2 began shipping today, February 23rd, to customers who were in line for the original Kindle and customers who pre-ordered beginning February 9th. New orders placed today will be released for immediate shipping.

Payment Methods for Kindle Content:

The currently accepted payment methods used to purchase Kindle content are credit cards and gift certificates. If paying with a gift certificate, the purchase will be deducted from your gift certificate balance until it is gone, then your credit card will be charged. You'll need to redeem your gift certificate to the account prior to making a content purchase. Please redeem your gift certificate by visiting Your Account.

Your account must still have a credit or debit card issued by a U.S. bank with a U.S. billing address even when you intend to pay for a purchase using a gift certificate.

Kindle 2 Text-to-Speech is an Experimental Feature:

The experimental category represents features we are still working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. Try them out and let us know what you think. We have no plans to remove the experimental features-in fact, we are working hard to make them even better for you.

Kindle 2 and Wish Lists:
Digital content cannot be transferred to a different Amazon.com account after purchase, so Kindle content cannot directly be added to Wish Lists at this time. There are alternatives, however.
You can add books to your "Save for Later" list while shopping the Kindle Store from your Kindle. Simply select that option on the book's detail page. To view all the books you've added to your list, select the "Save for Later" option on the Kindle Store menu on your Kindle.

Last edited by Dragoro; 02-23-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I am obviously no smarter. I can make no sense of it. What are the "methods above"?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Does that mean that we can no longer transfer books we downloaded onto computer from feedbooks and here onto the kindle?
No...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also note, that it states that even if your just using gift cards to purchase books, you must have a credit card associated to the account.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think the important parts are in bold here: You cannot transfer your Kindle purchases from your computer to your Kindles via USB unless you schedule delivery using one of the methods above.

My reading of this is that Kindle ebooks with DRM will only have the right PID in them if you first schedule delivery and then download them. Similarly, DRMed ebooks (i.e. almost all Kindle ebooks from Amazon) on an existing K1 (say), or archived on a PC, can't be transferred directly to a K2. They have to be re-downloaded from Amazon first.

This does not apply to any DRM-free content. Since these are not tied to particular devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I think the important parts are in bold here: You cannot transfer your Kindle purchases from your computer to your Kindles via USB unless you schedule delivery using one of the methods above.
I think that's badly worded. Unless they are drastically changing the way it has been working for the last year and 1/2.

BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Ah okies, that makes sense! Thank you Wallcraft!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Re: Note about transferring previous Kindle purchases

From the Kindle 2 user's guide there are no obvious restrictions regarding content purchased for one Kindle being transferred back to that Kindle via USB.

The note is likely about transferring content from one Kindle to another. If the content is DRM locked it will locked to the original device based on the device's unique identification number, i.e. it's PID.

The content can be transferred by dragging the file around through a Desktop computer via USB, but the content won't be readable. An error dialog will appear when you try to open it from Home.

To get content targeted for one Kindle onto another Kindle will require a trip, one way or another through an Amazon DRM server. Of course, if there was no DRM, then you could move the content to any Kindle.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
I'm hoping the above interpretations are correct, as I travel a lot, and was looking forward to being able to purchase through my laptop while I'm away and out of WN coverage, download to PC, then transfer via USB. As long as I have it "scheduled" to d/l to my Kindle, but can go ahead and d/l to my 'puter, that'll be fine. But if I have to actually have it sent by WN before I can d/l to my computer, that's a very bad thing.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Obviously you couldn't just drop Amazon content from one Kindle to another via the desktop. Different PIDs would make the content unreadable.

So you arrange delivery via Amazon's methods. Then go to your Digital Library and there should be a copy with the proper PID for your Kindle.

That's what happened when my original Kindle was replaced last February. My old Amazon content could not be dropped from my Desktop to my new Kindle. I had to request delivery via Whispernet and then the correct versions showed up in the Digital Library.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Kindle 2 Content Transfer:
For your convenience, we store your annotations as well as the last page read in each book so you can pick up reading where you left off. We make it easy to transfer books and subscriptions from one Kindle to another.

Doesn't it bother anyone else that they're actually monitoring what your read - keeping track of the last page you were on as well as any notes you make?

This just sets off all my "anti-privacy" alarms!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

Doesn't it bother anyone else that they're actually monitoring what your read - keeping track of the last page you were on as well as any notes you make?
Do you use email?

BOb
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Not really, no -- and I'm sensitive to privacy issues. And if it did, I'd just keep the Whispernet turned off at all times.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

They are not "monitoring" it any more than google mail "reads" your mail to serve ads or TiVo keeps track of what you record and watch to sell to market research companies or digg knowing what articles you like or delicious knowing what you link to.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
For your convenience, we store your annotations as well as the last page read in each book so you can pick up reading where you left off. We make it easy to transfer books and subscriptions from one Kindle to another.
Quote:

If it bothers you, don't turn on the WhisperNet.

Or, you can delete the .mbp and .tan files from your Kindle before you turn on the WhisperNet. (Your current location and notes are stored in these "side files".) You probably also want to delete the "My Clipings.txt" file too. If the information isn't on your Kindle, it can't send it to Amazon.

After you've downloaded new content from Amazon (or surfed the net or whatever you were doing with the WhisperNet on), copy these files back to your Kindle if you wanted to keep your bookmarks, notes, highlights, and current position.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote