Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Large gaps before Chapters

Hi,

When creating an LRF from a DOC using BookCreator, there is a huge gap before each chapter. This is despite me removing paragraphs etc.

It has been suggested that I post here as it is likely a calibre issue?

Is there anything I can do to remove these gaps?

Here is where my request starts in the BookCreator thread -

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=28313&page=12 (post 179)

Many thanks,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Attach the intermediate HTML file created by BookCreator
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Where does this get saved as I tend to run it and then do other things. Not seen the html file...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ask =X= as I dont use BookCreator
Old 01-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict

Hi, I have attached a small sample from the book I am creating. Hopefully this is sufficient to be able to tell why there are large gaps before each chapter.

Many thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: txt Before Converted.txt (26.2 KB, 282 views)
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's the way the page break is specified that causes this.

Instead of using
Code:
<b><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;text-transform:uppercase'><br
clear=all style='page-break-before:always'>
</span></b>
which is illegal HTML in any case since you shouldn't have <b> tags as children of <body> tags, if you use

Code:
<div style="page-break-after:always"/>
instead, it would be fine.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's the way the page break is specified that causes this.

Instead of using
Code:
<b><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;text-transform:uppercase'><br
clear=all style='page-break-before:always'>
</span></b>
which is illegal HTML in any case since you shouldn't have <b> tags as children of <body> tags, if you use

Code:
<div style="page-break-after:always"/>
instead, it would be fine.
Thanks, guess there isn't much I can do about this as it is automatically generated by Word...

Thanks for letting me know though

Not sure if I could easily edit this as replace all...
Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Have you tried saving the Word document as "web page, filtered"? This will remove some of the junk that Word puts in and often solves problems. (If will at least remove "page before")
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Have you tried saving the Word document as "web page, filtered"?
Which versions of Word have "web page filtered" as a save type? I don't see it in Word 2000.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I use Word 2003, which has it. I think it is also in later versions.
Its purpose is to strip out all the Word-specific junk.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Have you tried saving the Word document as "web page, filtered"? This will remove some of the junk that Word puts in and often solves problems. (If will at least remove "page before")
That is how the document was created...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
That is how the document was created...
Pie,
If you follow Kovid's suggestion, using the "DIV" tag, does this work for you?

What I'm asking if you manually modify the output html to use the div tag and run the html2lrf from the command line will this create the LRF you are after?

If you enable the debug version this will produce the HTML and the debug.txt with all the parameters used to build the LRF.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 01-27-2009 at 11:37 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
PieOPah
Addict

Hi =X= to be honest I haven't had much time to play around. Plus, would I be able to do a find/replace to change the tags?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Hi =X= to be honest I haven't had much time to play around. Plus, would I be able to do a find/replace to change the tags?
No but I might be able to change the filtered HTML before building the LRF with it. I've already had to do this with ePUB/LIT to get over another issue calibre had with Word styles. As long as the pattern is detectable I should be able to do a search and replace.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote