Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #106
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can't tell you how nice it is to get a free book from them. I think I paid too much at Smashwords a couple years ago.
This is a self-pubbed edition - Signet (also Signet Classics) is a Penguin imprint and would be publisher set price if still via that publisher.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
This is a self-pubbed edition - Signet (also Signet Classics) is a Penguin imprint and would be publisher set price if still via that publisher.
They have come down in price. They use to be $8-$10 a novel. I bought one of their series during RAEW for $5-$6 at Smashwords with coupons. I have not read them but I expect them to really good for that price!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #108
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I really wish authors self-publishing their backlists would stop doing this. I mean if they want to put who it was originally published by in the description fine, I'd encourage it, but this particular edition is not put out by Signet/Penguin/NAL.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I really wish authors self-publishing their backlists would stop doing this. I mean if they want to put who it was originally published by in the description fine, I'd encourage it, but this particular edition is not put out by Signet/Penguin/NAL.
I just noticed what you meant. Yeah that is wrong. I knew it was self published because I've seen them on Smashwords.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #110
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
I just noticed what you meant. Yeah that is wrong. I knew it was self published because I've seen them on Smashwords.
She's taken it off Smashwords (and become more reasonable in her pricing, I agree), so those who don't realize that Signet is a agency publisher might think this is one of their editions.

Now, it may be just as good as one they'd put out - but it probably has different artwork (that seldom belongs to the author) and may or may not be very well formatted or edited - many authors have nothing after their rough drafts, esp. on older works, as the final drafts ended up in proprietary formats and even publishers didn't have an editable edition - only the printer would have it -- I've even run into this on books I've published (although we started from a finished Framemaker file, it still had to be converted to the printer's format, then reproofed; and no, it isn't anything that would be of interest to the general public).

In point of fact, though, some of the self-pubbed stuff is better proofed than the commercial stuff I've read in recent years (paper or digital). I am re-reading a Laura Anne Gilman novel and one of the made-up composite words used throughout is mis-spelled (badly) now and then -- sure, you put the word in the ignore list of word when working on it, but why didn't they find the mangled version (which is unpronounceable and not a word in any language).

But, when an author is putting their work back out themselves, I expect some honesty about it, not to claim that the original publisher is responsible for the work (hmmm... maybe Penguin would like to know that she claims the rights belong to them, after all, so they can get their profits back from her)? Not only does it affect what I might be willing to pay (knowing the author is making a better percentage of the sale), it might affect whether I'd buy it, at all (I don't, necessarily, but many are avoiding Penguin and imprints)

Were this a print edition claiming to be from another publisher, it would be considered fraud (and bring a lawsuit for trademark violations, I suspect).

Putting the print history in the description, would be the perfect solution (just as you find it, or used to, in many print books).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
She's taken it off Smashwords (and become more reasonable in her pricing, I agree), so those who don't realize that Signet is a agency publisher might think this is one of their editions.

In point of fact, though, some of the self-pubbed stuff is better proofed than the commercial stuff I've read in recent years (paper or digital). I am re-reading a Laura Anne Gilman novel and one of the made-up composite words used throughout is mis-spelled (badly) now and then -- sure, you put the word in the ignore list of word when working on it, but why didn't they find the mangled version (which is unpronounceable and not a word in any language).

But, when an author is putting their work back out themselves, I expect some honesty about it, not to claim that the original publisher is responsible for the work (hmmm... maybe Penguin would like to know that she claims the rights belong to them, after all, so they can get their profits back from her)? Not only does it affect what I might be willing to pay (knowing the author is making a better percentage of the sale), it might affect whether I'd buy it, at all (I don't, necessarily, but many are avoiding Penguin and imprints)

Were this a print edition claiming to be from another publisher, it would be considered fraud (and bring a lawsuit for trademark violations, I suspect).

Putting the print history in the description, would be the perfect solution (just as you find it, or used to, in many print books).
Good Points. May McGoldrick is a husband and wife team, Nikoo and Jim McGoldrick . They should know better than put the wrong publisher in the box. These books were outrageously prices when they were just at Smashwords. I still think some are. $4.99 for a Avon True Romance book which is no bigger than a Harlequin is crazy.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #112
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Kindle Freebie

Forgotten Vows by Maggie Shayne (Silhoutte 1994)

Quote:
It was no secret that reporter Ashville Coye was hot on the trail of the Syracuse Slasher. But only Josephine Bradshaw knew that he was destined to become the killer's next victim. And when Ash landed in the hospital with amnesia, she was struck by a brilliant idea..

Ash thought he'd seen everything, until a complete stranger waltzed up to his bedside, claiming to be his wife.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #113
nkd431
Enthusiast
nkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Nokia N810, Nook 3G, Nook Color, Nook HD+
Woman's Day and Crimson Romance freebie
Catch a Falling Star, the newest eBook release by Jessica Starre
http://www.crimsonromance.com/freedownload/
Quote:
Brianna Daniels would do anything to help her younger sister make her dreams come true. If only those dreams didn’t include the one man Brianna’s been in love with forever.
nkd431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #114
Christyv
Enthusiast
Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Christyv can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: IPad 2, kindle keyboard
Free 2/10-2/16/13

The 4 seasons of marriage by John chapman. He wrote the five love languages. I really enjoyed listening to.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Seasons-Ma...0079222&sr=1-1

For other sale and free books for this month
http://www.tyndale.com/ebookextra/ebook-promos/
Christyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkd431 View Post
Woman's Day and Crimson Romance freebie
Catch a Falling Star, the newest eBook release by Jessica Starre
http://www.crimsonromance.com/freedownload/
I have to wonder who is behind Crimson Romance to get such big promos as Amazon featuring them and now Women's Day.

I have bought like 3 of them when they were 99 cents but I wonder how they are in quality. I think they have one author who is previously published by mainstream romance and a bunch of writer's I've never heard of. For $13 or with this promo $9.99 a month you get access to everything to read on their site.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #116
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
I have to wonder who is behind Crimson Romance to get such big promos as Amazon featuring them and now Women's Day.
They are a new imprint of F+W media (Adams, Tyrus, Prologue, etc.). I noticed all the Kindle Daily Deals and checked out their website. I also checked the reviews on Goodreads all of which were consistently good. Then I noticed it was all Crimson authors reviewing Crimson authors, totally turned me off and I haven't bought anything.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #117
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Crimson Romance is an imprint of Adams Media who in turn is owned by F+W Media
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
They are a new imprint of F+W media (Adams, Tyrus, Prologue, etc.). I noticed all the Kindle Daily Deals and checked out their website. I also checked the reviews on Goodreads all of which were consistently good. Then I noticed it was all Crimson authors reviewing Crimson authors, totally turned me off and I haven't bought anything.
I noticed that too. Amazon is suppose to be cutting down on that sort of thing. I only bought a few though I suppose I could pay one month and have them all but quality is a big issue for me. I've come to trust say Carina Press or Samhain because they seem to pick good writers.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #119
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Free @ Amazon

Straight From The Heart by Janelle Taylor
Publisher: Bell Bridge Books (July 31, 2012)

Hotter than Hot by Tina Leonard
Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
This is a Pre-order for February 19, 2013

Ambushed (Decorah Security) by Rebecca York
(Harlequin Intrigue Author)

Secret Valentine by Katy Madison
(Novella)

Repeat Freebie:
Defiant Impostor by Miriam Minger

Last edited by Blossom; 02-11-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #120
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Kindle Freebie

Forgotten Vows by Maggie Shayne (Silhoutte 1994)
also free at kobo Forgotten Vows by Maggie Shayne
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote