Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
LIT (DRM free) to Mobi

Hi all.

Was given a DRM free Microsoft Reader collection (Edgar Rice Burroughs), a compilation of his Tarzan books.

I like the formatting that has been done and would like to read it as such but do not like MS Reader, prefering Mobi.

The Free Amber LIT converter requires me to convert to PDF and then I can use MobiCreator, but Amber screws up the formatting in a big way.

Is there another conversion package that is available to do this?

Cheers and thanks

SD
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've had very good results converting lit files using calibre (check the calibre forum), and i believe calibre can export in mobi format as well if you request "save to disk". alternately, the lit2imp tool which can be found in the ebookwise forum will "explode" a lit file into its base components, these can then be reassembled using mobipocket creator.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Perhaps the Edgar Rice Burroughs collections in Mobipocket format here will save you a lot of time in converting the lit files?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...mid=128&page=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Hi all.

Was given a DRM free Microsoft Reader collection (Edgar Rice Burroughs), a compilation of his Tarzan books.

I like the formatting that has been done and would like to read it as such but do not like MS Reader, prefering Mobi.

The Free Amber LIT converter requires me to convert to PDF and then I can use MobiCreator, but Amber screws up the formatting in a big way.

Cheers and thanks

SD
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Perhaps the Edgar Rice Burroughs collections in Mobipocket format here will save you a lot of time in converting the lit files?

pff, but that's cheating !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPerl has a lit2mobi command, but I find that MobiPocket's tools are still the best (which may change when Calibre gets an any2mobi capability).

Explode the LIT to an OEB (HTML, images and a .opf metafile), using either Calibre's mobi2oeb or (my favourite) "ConvertLIT GUI". Then give the .opf file to mobigen.exe, or Windows MobiPocket Reader or MobiPocket Creator. If you use MobiPocket Creator, you have the option to update the metadata.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As wallcraft says: ConvertLIT to "explode" the LIT file to its OEB source, then double click the ".opf" file to open in Mobi Creator, quickly check the metadata to see if there's anything you want to change (eg I always change the author's name from "first last" to "last, first"), then click the "Build" button to produce the MobiPocket book. Total time: under a minute.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Hi all.

Cheers and thanks

SD
My two recommended choices
1) Use a tool called MobiPerl this converts several formats to MOBI. In this tool kit there is a LIT2MOBI executable that can convert your LIT to MOBI.
2) Also Clit with Mobi creator. With CLIT explode the LIT file. It will create a OPF file. Then import that to MobiCreator and create the MOBI file.

My experience is option 1 is faster than option 2, by a few minutes. But option two seems more reliable. (Note LIT2MOBI seems to handle professionally developed LIT its when I use WordRMR that LIT2MOBI does not work)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks to everyone. I will check out the information you have provided.

SD
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPerl has a lit2mobi command, but I find that MobiPocket's tools are still the best (which may change when Calibre gets an any2mobi capability).
Does mobigen do anything more than lit2mobi?

One reason to use lit2mobi is that it has some flags which can be used to fix the html in a lit file. For certain lit files it is common that the html code is pretty dreadful and will not work properly (one symptom is that all text is centered).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

These are very nice, thanks for the link!

Still, as an exercise, it is still useful to know how to convert with formating intact.

Cheers and thanks

SD
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
One reason to use lit2mobi is that it has some flags which can be used to fix the html in a lit file. For certain lit files it is common that the html code is pretty dreadful and will not work properly (one symptom is that all text is centered).
I see there are now -fixhtml and -keepbr options, but they are not listed on the man page. I don't know if mobigen does a better job when -fixhtml is needed for MobiPerl or not.

It would be useful to make a list of known "bad" LIT files, to use in testing "lit2" and "2mobi" commands.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I see there are now -fixhtml and -keepbr options, but they are not listed on the man page. I don't know if mobigen does a better job when -fixhtml is needed for MobiPerl or not.

It would be useful to make a list of known "bad" LIT files, to use in testing "lit2" and "2mobi" commands.
I probably did not list them since they were added to solve specific problems and I was unsure how general they were. I think the problem is in files were somebody have taken a text file and saved as html in for example word and then made a lit file of it. And I have mostly seen it in files of "questionable origin" so it is hard to make a test suite...
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Does mobigen do anything more than lit2mobi?
It doesn't always do a great job, but 'mobigen' tries to convert HTML 4.0 / XHTML 1.x and some CSS 1/2 to Mobipocket's HTML 3.2 variant. Most commercial LIT books have markup which degrades fairly well when just tossed at the Mobipocket renderer, but 'mobigen's output is higher-fidelity formatting-wise.

This is the main thing I'm hoping to achieve with oeb2mobi -- leverage full CSS parsing to preserve as much formatting as Mobipocket's markup language allows. I've already something roughly equivalent to Mobiperl's html2mobi, so now for the hard part .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
It doesn't always do a great job, but 'mobigen' tries to convert HTML 4.0 / XHTML 1.x and some CSS 1/2 to Mobipocket's HTML 3.2 variant. Most commercial LIT books have markup which degrades fairly well when just tossed at the Mobipocket renderer, but 'mobigen's output is higher-fidelity formatting-wise.
And CSS and HTML4.0 is allowed in the lit format?

Quote:
This is the main thing I'm hoping to achieve with oeb2mobi -- leverage full CSS parsing to preserve as much formatting as Mobipocket's markup language allows. I've already something roughly equivalent to Mobiperl's html2mobi, so now for the hard part .
My main interest with MobiPerl was to get the Mobi header correct so I really did not put in so much effort into the html2mobi program. Using oeb as the format to convert from seems to me the correct thing to do.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
And CSS and HTML4.0 is allowed in the lit format?
Yah. For markup MSReader uses something like, but not quite, OEBPS 1.0 (1.0.1?), which is something like, but not quite, an XML-valid form of HTML 4.0 (which is something like, but not quite XHTML 1.0...). For CSS it supports a subset of CSS 1 & 2, with a simplified selector syntax (no contextual selectors, at all).

Quote:
My main interest with MobiPerl was to get the Mobi header correct so I really did not put in so much effort into the html2mobi program. Using oeb as the format to convert from seems to me the correct thing to do.
That's what the IDPF said .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote