Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Frankenreader - the best features of all the readers you've owned

If you could combine the things you liked best from all the readers you've owned, what would you include?

I'd like to have the small size and buttons of my Sony PRS-T3, the comfort light and highly adjustable font styles and sizes from my Kobo Clara, and the Overdrive library access of my Tolino Shine 2! (Sony used to have the library access but it wasn't updated to keep up with Overdrive changes).

I would also want to have both the Clara's and Sony's word search systems. Most often what I search for is a character's name. Kobo's search where it shows a list of every instance in the book is good if I want to find the first time John Doe appeared. The Sony system where it takes you back or forward one instance at a time is good if you want to just skip back to to John Doe's most recent appearance.

I also liked that the Sony had both English and American versions of the Oxford dictionaries. I would switch depending on the book I was reading. This was especially helpful for slang.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:04 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
The only thing I'm missing on my Boox Pokes (2/3) is a Nav (GPS/Beidu/Glonass) module.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 05:13 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If I was building a "Frankenreader" I think I would start with a Kindle Voyage and keep its sharp, crisp screen and haptic page turn buttons but add warm light. I would want to base it on ePub instead of AZW3 and change its page display to match the Pocketbook HD3s (I like that I can get rid of the header and footer and that the books fills the screen top and bottom — and the left and right margins can be whatever you want them to be, unlike the Voyage). And I think the Pocketbook hyphenates better than the Kobo. I would add the font and margin customization features of the Kobo (finer graduations) — though I would try to alleviate its pickiness about ePub standards and acceptable fonts and the fact that not all ePubs can have their margins or line heights changed. I would only use ePub page numbering (no page numbering that changes with the size of the font). I would keep Kobo's ability to directly borrow books from Overdrive (hopefully that will be fixed soon, BTW) but add the Tolino and PocketBook's built-in ADE so I could buy books from anywhere directly from the device and borrow Overdrive books not in the Kobo store. I would also keep the Tolino and Pocketbook ability to store and sync any book on their Clouds. And the PocketBook's ability to directly sync with Dropbox (though I don't yet use it). There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting, like the a Tolino "home button" or Nook home button and the Pocketbook's ability to adjust the warm light settings by swiping the right edge of the screen and the its brightness level by swiping on the left edge. I would also like to keep the PocketBook's ability to turn off the touch screen. Also I would want the Sony's, Kindles (and now Kobo's) Oxford English dictionary.

I'm not asking for too much.

Maybe a little a more... add the PocketBook's or Sony's battery life, an exchangeable battery from the Astak EZReader and (maybe) a Sony microSD slot.

(More to come?)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-26-2021 at 05:17 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:29 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The body of the Kobo Libra 1 with the buttons of the Oasis 3 / Kobo software combined with the speed and global search of the Oasis 3 / the screen quality of the Voyage with warm light and the screen size of 7-8''.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:02 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Start with the Clara as a base and modify/add.

Battery life like earlier readers (like the Kobo Glo HD). Minimum of 8GB of storage. Minimum of 1GB of memory. Add water proofing (like many of the newer readers, no door). A Plastic substrate (like the Forma). Bluetooth for external device page turns (I believe that there are readers that can do this). Easily replaceable battery (I believe early readers had replaceable batteries.) Faster performance without sacrificing battery life (or very little battery life). Configurable tap areas (I believe koreader has this). Lighter weight <= 180g.

Ability to patch (and someone who will do the patches). I include this because I like that Kobo has more formatting (gradations in font size, line spacing, margins), but I would like more gradations then the current firmware. Or, Kobo's configuration file, but merge in Kindle's FONT_RAMP (and if we can add functionality, more/add ramp choices, and make ramps for line spacing and margins).

And if I count apps as ereaders, more configuration options like Stanza.

And if we can modify existing hardware/firmware... haptic touch all around the front bezzle ( like the Voyage's buttons), but with user configurable areas.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
My white Kobo Libra, but with the shape of the kindle non touch 4, i.e. the tiny thin clicky buttons on each side. They were bliss to use.
Great idea for a thread!

Oh, and I’ll add the lighting of the Oasis 3! Although I hear the Libra 2’s lighting is perfect.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
My paragon reader would be the size of Oasis 3 or Forma and with pageturn buttons.
Voyage screen quality and Kobo software.
Maybe the new Kobo's come close?
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Kobo Libra does everything for reading DRM free ebooks except accept a BT and/or USB keyboard.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I just posted this in another thread: my perfect reader would be the body of the Nook ST, with the 300 DPI screen and lighting of the Glowlight 3, running Kobo's software. And waterproof.

In the name of waterproofing, I could stand losing the expandable storage of the Nook ST if the internal storage were increased to 8GB or more.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If I was building a "Frankenreader" I think I would start with a Kindle Voyage and keep its sharp, crisp screen and haptic page turn buttons but add warm light. I would want to base it on ePub instead of AZW3 and change its page display to match the Pocketbook HD3s (I like that I can get rid of the header and footer and that the books fills the screen top and bottom — and the left and right margins can be whatever you want them to be, unlike the Voyage). And I think the Pocketbook hyphenates better than the Kobo. I would add the font and margin customization features of the Kobo (finer graduations) — though I would try to alleviate its pickiness about ePub standards and acceptable fonts and the fact that not all ePubs can have their margins or line heights changed. I would only use ePub page numbering (no page numbering that changes with the size of the font). I would keep Kobo's ability to directly borrow books from Overdrive (hopefully that will be fixed soon, BTW) but add the Tolino and PocketBook's built-in ADE so I could buy books from anywhere directly from the device and borrow Overdrive books not in the Kobo store. I would also keep the Tolino and Pocketbook ability to store and sync any book on their Clouds. And the PocketBook's ability to directly sync with Dropbox (though I don't yet use it). There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting, like the a Tolino "home button" or Nook home button and the Pocketbook's ability to adjust the warm light settings by swiping the right edge of the screen and the its brightness level by swiping on the left edge. I would also like to keep the PocketBook's ability to turn off the touch screen. Also I would want the Sony's, Kindles (and now Kobo's) Oxford English dictionary.

I'm not asking for too much.

Maybe a little a more... add the PocketBook's or Sony's battery life, an exchangeable battery from the Astak EZReader and (maybe) a Sony microSD slot.

(More to come?)
I can pledge $875,000 but that would only leave me with slightly over $3,100,000.* And this has to last at least 3 weeks.

* Of course, all of this is Monopoly money.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I just posted this in another thread: my perfect reader would be the body of the Nook ST, with the 300 DPI screen and lighting of the Glowlight 3, running Kobo's software. And waterproof.

In the name of waterproofing, I could stand losing the expandable storage of the Nook ST if the internal storage were increased to 8GB or more.
I actually saw that thread in the Kobo forum and started to reply there, but then thought this would be a fun topic for the general forum!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #12
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I continue to miss the aluminum housing of the Sony PRS-505. I accidentally kicked mine 4 feet in the air and 10 feet away, and nothing happened to it.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
  • As fast as PW3.
  • With color like Inkpad Color but without the little points of the Kaleido strate (so it could have a clear screen like Kobo Aura One).
  • Light as PB633 Color but with 7.8" screen like Kobo Aura One and Inkpad Color.
  • With the elegant user interface of Pocketbook but with the incredible possibility of customization and excellent integration with calibre of Kobo.
  • With file manager like Pocketbook (also if it is not so important for me).
  • With ADE for library like Kobo and Pocketbook

Last edited by ps67; 10-27-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: With ADE for library like Kobo and Pocketbook
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
In fact, the reading device i'd favour the most is already in the making:

www.pine64.org/pinenote

wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineNote

It combines the 10.3" sized e-ink screen of recent LikeBook/Onyx Boox devices with that same form factor with a much more potent computing platform.

It will eventually evolve into something much more useful than just a passive reading device, thanks to the flexibility provided by a truly open platform.

Nonetheless, i doubt this will ever be suitable for users merely defined by a consumer mindset. But for people who prefer open devices whose capabilities are only limited by one's own competence and imagination, this is a worthy investment target.

I am already a happy user of the same company's 'PineBook Pro' running a feature complete Debian environment, serving as my daily driver.

Last edited by orebmur; 10-31-2021 at 11:32 AM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
It will eventually evolve into something much more useful than just a passive reading device, thanks to the flexibility provided by a truly open platform.
Thing is, I like single-use, "passive" reading devices (with 6" screens). But I understand that others like the multi-use devices and that they require a bigger screen. I hope this works out for you. Out of curiosity, do you know what these are going to sell for?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote