Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
simurq
simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Question Where does the reader store highlights?

Hi there,

Calibre Viewer is my primary reading tool on desktop. I've tried to find a definitive answer to this question in this and other fora plus the web, but most of the posts are either too old (before highlighting was available) or not specific about storing (not exporting!) the highlights. So, I wonder where the highlights actually go in my desktop. It'd be nice to discover the Viewer store them inside the e-book - less hassle with exporting and then losing the highlights. Is it anyhow possible?

Btw, I'm using Pop OS (Ubuntu) with Linux.

Thank you!

Last edited by simurq; 09-25-2021 at 06:22 AM.
simurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It stores them in multiple places, including inside the book, if the book is in epub format and you havent turned off storing of annotations inside the book in the viewer preferences under miscellaneous.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
simurq
simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Thank you, Kovid! It indeed did the trick with an EPUB file, as the Viewer saves a base64-encoded version of my highlights as a text file inside the file. Very good!

But can you please be also more specific about those 'multiple places' and tip me on the capacity of other file types (I mostly read books written in flowing PDF, FB2, and MOBI) to store bookmarks a.k.a highlights without exporting them?

I guess one of such locations is $HOME/.cache/calibre, where I can see calibre-book-annotations.json with highlights of the book I'm currently reading. But judging from the content of the folder, it's EPUB-specific, hence my question about other file types.

Again, thank you!

Last edited by simurq; 09-25-2021 at 06:53 AM.
simurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
only epub stores annotations inside. As for the other locations they are the calibre config folder and the library database.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote