Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #1
fourcrosses
fourcrosses began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Post Foot- Endnotes are too small. [Editing epub/script request]

Does a script exist that replaces/enlarges the number/letter indicating the footnote to cover the whole word, meaning you can simply tap the entire thing and be taken to the appropriate page. I've done some research on scripts, similar threads and tried to do it manually but it seems too complicated, I haven't found clear instructions. Also doesn't seem like there's a feature in Calibre.

I wonder if anyone else has trouble actually tapping those little numbers. It's annoying to be taken to a different page instead of the footnote, I've got no issue tapping a word instead of in-between two lines. It feels like most people would prefer tapping an entire word. It also is something that could be done in script.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
fourcrosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You would need to edit the ePub and adjust the tag <a> location.

Example:
Change:
<p>This paragraph has a footnote <a href=“notes.html#ref1”>1</a>.</p>

To:
<p>This paragraph has a <a href=“notes.html#ref1”>footnote 1</a>.</p>

You can use a regex to do this fairly quickly.

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-08-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcrosses View Post
Does a script exist that replaces/enlarges the number/letter indicating the footnote to cover the whole word, meaning you can simply tap the entire thing and be taken to the appropriate page. I've done some research on scripts, similar threads and tried to do it manually but it seems too complicated, I haven't found clear instructions. Also doesn't seem like there's a feature in Calibre.

I wonder if anyone else has trouble actually tapping those little numbers. It's annoying to be taken to a different page instead of the footnote, I've got no issue tapping a word instead of in-between two lines. It feels like most people would prefer tapping an entire word. It also is something that could be done in script.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
Yes, I find it annoying trying to tap those infinitesimally small superscripts. I have been recommending not less than full-sized[*] to my customers for some years now, if not the bracket-number-bracket AND the word as the footnote trigger.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Beside the Turtle91's very good answer, you could supress <sup> tags if they were there.

For example, if you have something like:

Code:
<p>This paragraph has a footnote <a href="notes.html#ref1"><sup>1</sup></a>.</p>
you could re-write it as:

Code:
<p>This paragraph has a footnote <a href="notes.html#ref1">1</a>.</p>
You can use regex for doing that task in a second.

Also you could adjust the font-size for the "a" element in your .css stylesheet. I.e.:

Code:
a.note {
   font-size: 1em; /* or the size you want */
}
In this case, you should add the class name in your notes:

Code:
<p>This paragraph has a footnote <a class="note" href="notes.html#ref1">1</a>.</p>
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like doing it the way Hitch suggested. It works well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert