Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-11-2021, 06:13 AM   #16
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I read on an iPad pro a lot. I also from time to time will read on my iPhone XR. I did yesterday waiting on my wife's late flight to come in. I also read on my phone when waiting in Dr's offices, etc, when I'm stuck without my reader.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:49 AM   #17
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, MegaReader is the one with ‘Heads Up Display’ option. It doesn’t seem to be listed in App Store, but as I purchased it years ago, I was able to download it and it seems to work okay. They also make QuickReader, a speed reading app, and Audiobooks HQ, which accesses Libravox catalog.
I still use QuickReader, but their MegaReader isn't available on the US store. 🤷🏻*♂️

Quote:
Speaking of speed reading apps: there’s ReadMe!, which uses either Spritz (RSVP) or BeeLine (uses colored text to improve ‘focus’). Gonna give that another try.

There are also some other speed reading apps, several require subscription (one for $3.99/week!).

Wish the Kindle app for iOS had Word Runner feature. It has only been on Android/FireOS, and for some reason, it only works in Portrait orientation.
I'll have to look into ReadMe! I've used Spritz before.

$3.99/week? Somebody's dreaming of whales.

What does Word Runner do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

What does Word Runner do?
Word Runner is Amazon’s implementation of Rapid Sequential Visual Presentation.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:20 AM   #19
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
I use MapleRead - and have used it for a long time. It's design feels already a bit dated, but I have good memories with it and still enjoy the fact that it can display PDFs reasonably well too. (A rarity for ePUB reader apps.)
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloleo View Post
I use MapleRead - and have used it for a long time. It's design feels already a bit dated, but I have good memories with it and still enjoy the fact that it can display PDFs reasonably well too. (A rarity for ePUB reader apps.)
Apps that use Adobe RMSDK (Bluefire, Bookari, Aldiko) generally support PDF as well. Bookari, IIRC, lets you set crop margins, which is a feature I like to have in any PDF viewer.
Advert
Old 07-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #21
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Word Runner is Amazon’s implementation of Rapid Sequential Visual Presentation.

Similar to Spritz, I take it?

Old 07-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Similar to Spritz, I take it?

Yes, though without some of the nuances that Spritz claims are their intellectual property and which make it ‘better’ somehow.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:26 AM   #23
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
How long has MapleRead been around? I've downloaded it, but never took to it.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #24
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
How long has MapleRead been around? I've downloaded it, but never took to it.
Not sure, how long they are around but I downloaded it probably 4 years ago.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not sure, how long they are around but I downloaded it probably 4 years ago.
If they would add iPadOS support for multiple documents, I would get it. It is surprising to me that we still don’t have a reading app that supports this feature. This was added in iPadOS 13.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #26
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
If they would add iPadOS support for multiple documents, I would get it. It is surprising to me that we still don’t have a reading app that supports this feature. This was added in iPadOS 13.
What is Multiple document support? Split view?
Old 07-17-2021, 12:54 AM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is Multiple document support? Split view?
So Safari, Notes, Maps, Numbers etc can have a different document in different split views, or side by side, or full screen. It’s one of the things they are improving in iOS 15, so it is easier to manage these multiple documents and split views.

For books it would be a more seamless way to switch from one to another; you would not have to close and go back to Library. You might have a note app in split view with one book, Maps with another one, Wikipedia with another one etc. and be able to switch between these views easily, or even view 2 different locations in the same book in split view.

This is not new: on Windows, MacOS you can have multiple ‘desktops’ set up with different sets of windows in each.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-17-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:35 AM   #28
halloleo
Groupie

Ah, yes, thanks. Makes sense.