Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 03:42 AM   #1
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
Missing cover thumbnails of Amazon-purchased books

I have a KPW3 (fm version 5.9.6 and jailbreak) and I found out that several of my Amazon-purchased books (4 in 500) didn’t show covers in grid view. I have searched on internet for some resolutions. I redownloaded the books and rebooted the device for several times, or connected to wifi and waited several days. All these didn’t work.

Then I launch the kindle explorer and looked into /mnt/us/system/thumbnails/. All cover thumbnails are saved in the directory. And I found out that those missing thumbnails had already been downloaded. But the difference between these 4 books and others is the scale. These books have a landscape cover scale (such as 303*200 or 303*180) while others have portrait cover scale (such as 303*404 or 303*500).

So I change the scale of the thumbnail file and renamed it as the original file (such as thumbnail_BXXXXXXXXX_EBOK_portrait.jpg). Then the books can show the covers correctly in grid view. But after I deleted and redownloaded the books, my revised thumbnail files were covered by original ones.

My question is how can I keep the revised thumbnail files after deleted and redownloaded the books.
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that it seems to be a problem with the original book, I suspect that you can't, other than by manually saving the modified file yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivilyn View Post
I have a KPW3 (fm version 5.9.6 and jailbreak) and I found out that several of my Amazon-purchased books (4 in 500) didn’t show covers in grid view. I have searched on internet for some resolutions. I redownloaded the books and rebooted the device for several times, or connected to wifi and waited several days. All these didn’t work.
Report the problem books to Amazon. The publishers should sort them out and issue an update.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivilyn View Post

Then I launch the kindle explorer and looked into /mnt/us/system/thumbnails/. All cover thumbnails are saved in the directory. And I found out that those missing thumbnails had already been downloaded. But the difference between these 4 books and others is the scale. These books have a landscape cover scale (such as 303*200 or 303*180) while others have portrait cover scale (such as 303*404 or 303*500).

So I change the scale of the thumbnail file and renamed it as the original file (such as thumbnail_BXXXXXXXXX_EBOK_portrait.jpg). Then the books can show the covers correctly in grid view. But after I deleted and redownloaded the books, my revised thumbnail files were covered by original ones.

My question is how can I keep the revised thumbnail files after deleted and redownloaded the books.

I have the same issue and if I leave the device on and disable the sleep mode ( ~ds typed in search bar) and just let it sit connected to the internet they eventually show up in grid view. I do not know why this works or why it happens to begin with but whenever I reset my device over half my books don’t show the cover in grid view but it eventually corrects itself
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Report the problem books to Amazon. The publishers should sort them out and issue an update.
I have reported the problem to Amazon customer service. After testing, they told me that these books would be temporarily removed, and they will ask the publisher to revise the thumbnails.
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert