Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #1321
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
People have reported that it works if they login with a newer version and then install the older version over that (without logging out or uninstalling the new one).
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #1322
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Had to Reinstall -- Can't work around Auth problem

My PC is dying and I had to rebuild windows. Went to reinstall my trusty 1.17 and I cannot get it to authorize at all. Tried installing a new version / uninstall (without reboot) and then installing 1.17. Still pops up the auth and rejects the latest credentials.

Have the latest calibre and all plugins but I assume we still can't work with the latest amazon format(?)

Any suggestions? I buy 6-7 Amazon books a week but if I can't store them in my library then I may have to just use Itunes(?)
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #1323
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
My PC is dying and I had to rebuild windows. Went to reinstall my trusty 1.17 and I cannot get it to authorize at all. Tried installing a new version / uninstall (without reboot) and then installing 1.17. Still pops up the auth and rejects the latest credentials.
If you can't get version 1.17 registered then see method 2 (described in the first post in this thread) for alternatives.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #1324
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
People have reported that it works if they login with a newer version and then install the older version over that (without logging out or uninstalling the new one).
Quote:
@lkmiller said in the post above yours (quoted, emphasis mine) that you shouldn't uninstall the new version, instead installing the old version over the top of the new one. Does that not work for you?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #1325
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope 1.17 Still Broken -- the end of an era(?)

I tried installing over the top as suggested and it behaves exactly the same way--old style auth dialog box which fails using the current credentials. Checking "About" it says it is 1.17

I am using 2) kinda. I am using the batch file that hacks the registry in real time. It kinda works but it behaves strategy on my machine. The "My Kindle Content" target directory ends up in a random location and it won't let me change it. Also you have to process each book individually--in the good old days I would process all my weekly purchases in one add.
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #1326
johnelle
Zealot

Windows 11 - Kindle 1.17 installs and authenticates

Welcome to the weird world of Windooz. Just got a new HP to replace my blue screen hunk of junk. Came with Windows 11. Calibre seems to work well so I went for broke and tried installing kindle 1.17. It worked! Even went through the drm cycle and converted it to .mobi format. Back in business!
Old 10-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #1327
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Welcome to the weird world of Windooz. Just got a new HP to replace my blue screen hunk of junk. Came with Windows 11. Calibre seems to work well so I went for broke and tried installing kindle 1.17. It worked! Even went through the drm cycle and converted it to .mobi format. Back in business!
Glad to hear it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #1328
Tortuosit
Enthusiast
Tortuosit began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 X
Finally, I can now convert my stuff for reading in my favourite epub readers (Moon+ and AlreaderX).

Can you point me to some best practise, as for the epub conversion settings inside Calibre? Source is Kindle, target is my 1080x2244 OLED display Smartphone, which I love to use for reading. Heuristics and page setup... I am not a perfectionist, just ask for some "probably good to go" settings :-)
As for Page setup I picked "E-Ink Display (Hi res)" as an output profile. I guess it only affects resolution of pictures...?

Last edited by Tortuosit; 10-19-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Tortuosit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #1329
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuosit View Post
Finally, I can now convert my stuff for reading in my favourite epub readers (Moon+ and AlreaderX).

Can you point me to some best practise, as for the epub conversion settings inside Calibre? Source is Kindle, target is my 1080x2244 OLED display Smartphone, which I love to use for reading. Heuristics and page setup... I am not a perfectionist, just ask for some "probably good to go" settings :-)
As for Page setup I picked "E-Ink Display (Hi res)" as an output profile. I guess it only affects resolution of pictures...?
If you are downloading in KF8/azw3 format, I'd suggest using the KindleUnpack plugin rather than a calibre conversion to produce epubs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #1330
melltuga
melltuga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Hi (:

So I recently "had to" switch into the walled garden called MacOS (it's a work computer and I can't really afford my own notebook right now).

I'm on an Air M1. Calibre is the newest update, so are the deDRM and the KFX Input plugin.
Kindle on Mac is 1.30., not updating.

Some books are convertable (but I'm guessing they're already DRM free?), others are not.
The only difference I can make out is, that Calibre shows ne not convertible books as "*.azw", while the convertible ones are "*.azw3".

If there's any log I can post here I'm happy to do so, and I'd be very happy for other suggestions.

Kindle is the new Paperwhite 2021, if it matters (:

Thanks!
melltuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #1331
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by melltuga View Post
Some books are convertable (but I'm guessing they're already DRM free?), others are not.
The only difference I can make out is, that Calibre shows ne not convertible books as "*.azw", while the convertible ones are "*.azw3".

If there's any log I can post here I'm happy to do so, and I'd be very happy for other suggestions.
As you imply the problem is likely a failure to remove DRM. Assistance with that is not allowed here on MobileRead. I suggest you ask for help at either Apprentice Alf's Blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:27 AM   #1332
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Any one still has version 1.17 around and willing to share?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:58 AM   #1333
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
@melltuga

See method 2 in the first post of this thread and also the link there to odamizu's post.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #1334
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have kindle-for-pc-1-17-44183.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:17 PM   #1335
EricS
EricS began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Kindle for PC seems to be going away

This topic may become moot in the near future.

Last week I bought 2 books from Amazon. I haven't used Kindle for PC for a number of months. When I started it, it automatically updated to v1.33 (I was 1.17). Every time I clicked on the shortcut it would update again. I can download to my Android tablet but I cannot download to my PC (Win 10). My existing books are still available, just no new books.

I called Amazon Kindle help line and was told they are no longer supporting Kindle for PC. If I want something for my PC I have to buy it from the Microsoft store. None of the programs there claim to support KFX (mobi, pdf and epub only).

It looks like you will no longer be able to download any Kindle books to your PC.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Eric
EricS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc