Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ereaders do you own?
1 26 15.95%
2 33 20.25%
3 or more 104 63.80%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #61
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra2 - Kindle Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I gifted ereaders and then got them back after they upgraded (I kid you not!). My sister gifted me the ebook "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning", probably as a reminder that I still have too much stuff.
The shade
I would try to find a book for her like : "The gentle Art of minding its own business"
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:43 AM   #62
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Forma, LibraH20, ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I've got an Onyx and a Kobo. I want to upgrade to one that uses USB-C, though, so I'll have to figure out what to do with these two.
I don't have anyone to gift readers to so i tend to sell them on a certain auction site.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #63
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Maybe we need a new thread: Readers we hated enough to get rid of ASAP!
Not exactly hated, but ...
I purchased the first Kindle Paperwhite when it came out. I spent LOTS of time trying to do something to it to improve the user interface. Installed every possible hack and tweak, alternative readers, even entire alternative firmware from China.
I loved the lit e-ink screen, couldn't make peace with the software. When another brand came out with lit screen I immediately sold Paperwhite and got PocketBook Touch Lux.

Disclaimer: before getting kindle paperwhite I had several e-ink readers so I had some expectations about what options a good UI for e-ink reader should provide.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #64
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I use these three now:

Onyx Boox Color, Kindle Oasis 1 and Kobo Forma.
Different books on each of them. I am trying to keep the same library but unsuccessfully)))

I have also: Kobo aura, hd, one
Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite,
Sony prs-t1. They are all still alive, not sure what to do with them

Had more before: REB-1100, Sony-500, 505,700,900, iRex iliad, … probably forgot some. Sold, given away, broken.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #65
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I have way too many e-readers but that is not stopping me from lusting after the new Paperwhite 5. I have ordered it for my daughter for Christmas but I would like one of my own.

I currently have a Kindle 4 non-touch, a Paperwhite 2, 2xPaperwhite 3 (one has 30 g of storage), a Paperwhite 4, a Paperwhite Basic 8th gen (don't know why I bought that one), Oasis 2 and Oasis 3. As well I have a Kobo Clara and a Libra. Unlike other people here, I am not happy with Kobo. They might be nice devices but they both chew through the batteries. I won't be getting any more.

I keep them all charged. I usually read on either one of my Oasis readers but sometimes I will choose one of the others.

I have given two readers away in the past - My original Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle 4 Touch. I would give away others if I knew anyone who wanted them but the last one I gave away came right back to me. Most of my friends prefer real books.

Last edited by Figlilly; 11-02-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figlilly View Post
...I have a Kobo Clara and a Libra. Unlike other people here, I am not happy with Kobo. They might be nice devices but they both chew through the batteries. I won't be getting any more.
That is not typical of Kobo. Sounds like you're happy with your Kindles anyway.

But have you tried posting to the Kobo forum about battery drain?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #67
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is not typical of Kobo. Sounds like you're happy with your Kindles anyway.

But have you tried posting to the Kobo forum about battery drain?
No. I probably should but I have mostly given up on them now. I did a bit of research at one time and followed the advice - turning off wifi etc. I even shelled out for official covers for them thinking that the cheap ones could be the problem but it didn't change anything.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:00 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No. I probably should but I have mostly given up on them now. I did a bit of research at one time and followed the advice - turning off wifi etc. I even shelled out for official covers for them thinking that the cheap ones could be the problem but it didn't change anything.
Just to be clear, what to you mean by "chew through the batteries"? Are the batteries dying? Or are you getting less runtime than you expect? And if the latter, what are you getting?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:49 AM   #69
Figlilly
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just to be clear, what to you mean by "chew through the batteries"? Are the batteries dying? Or are you getting less runtime than you expect? And if the latter, what are you getting?
Oh gosh, this is not going to be very scientific as I have never kept any sort of record.

Basically, most of my readers sit quietly in a drawer and don't even get opened from one charge to the next. Every few weeks I decide I should charge all my readers. Always, the kindle clan have some charge left. Some can have up to 60%, but the kobos are always flat as a tack. The Clara has sometimes completely seized and needs to be turned off and on again to kick it to the point I can charge it. I can't comment on how they function when I am reading from them as I haven't used them in ages. I think they went ok though.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Oh gosh, this is not going to be very scientific as I have never kept any sort of record.

Basically, most of my readers sit quietly in a drawer and don't even get opened from one charge to the next. Every few weeks I decide I should charge all my readers. Always, the kindle clan have some charge left. Some can have up to 60%, but the kobos are always flat as a tack. The Clara has sometimes completely seized and needs to be turned off and on again to kick it to the point I can charge it. I can't comment on how they function when I am reading from them as I haven't used them in ages. I think they went ok though.
If that is your measure of "chew through the batteries", it's a pretty strange measure and no one would have thought you meant that. The general complaints are about how quickly the battery runs down when in use. But, the probably solution is to turn of the sync on the device. Kobo has daily sync. If that is left enabled, then it will run down the battery. Turning off WiFi will also do it. But, as you know you aren't going to use them, why don't you just turn turn them off?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If that is your measure of "chew through the batteries", it's a pretty strange measure and no one would have thought you meant that. The general complaints are about how quickly the battery runs down when in use. But, the probably solution is to turn of the sync on the device. Kobo has daily sync. If that is left enabled, then it will run down the battery. Turning off WiFi will also do it. But, as you know you aren't going to use them, why don't you just turn turn them off?
Yeah. My Libra is sitting on the shelf too when I'm using one of my other readers, and I haven't even turned it off. The sync is disabled, however. And it has never been flat, even after a couple or more weeks.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, iPad Pro, Tolino
Just for the heck of it, I turned on my Aura One which has been sitting powered off for 7 weeks. The battery was at 75-80% when I turned it off since I charge my ereaders to that point before storing them for any length of time. When I turned it on, it showed 73% charge. I do set my Kobo ereaders that are not going to be used for a while to sleep after 5 minutes and turn off after 15 minutes with autosync disabled just in case I forget to turn them off before storing them. I then checked a few other members of my older ereader collection (Kobo Mini, Aura HD, Glo, Aura H2O, Tolino epos). They were all between 70-74% except for the Tolino epos which was at 69%.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #73
fduniho
Zealot
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; Rooted Nook ST
These are the ones I read on the most:

Likebook Mars - My main ereader for nighttime reading, exercise reading, and manga. It is my only ereader with warm lighting, and its larger size makes it more suitable for reading on the exercise bike or treadmill and also for reading manga. I read books mainly with the Kindle app or the Moon+ Reader app. The latter is much more customizable and user-friendly, and I sometimes strip books of DRM to read them with this app. I also use it with manga apps, web browsers, and music apps.

Kindle DX Graphite - I use this for some books with illustrations or special formatting that works better with a larger screen. I'm using it for a book of Chess problems, some Dummies books, some DK books, and some books in the Introducing series, among others. Since my first DX broke, I treat this one more delicately. So, despite its larger size, I do not use it on the treadmill, whose vibrations might break something.

Kindle Touch - My best ereader for books with lots of footnotes. Clicking on a footnote goes directly to the footnote section, which I prefer over a pop-up window that shows only the first paragraph of a footnote. I also like to scan future footnotes to see which one will require actual reading, then skip footnotes that are just references. I also use various Active Content apps. I mainly use Utility Kit for keeping an exercise log.

Kindle Paperwhite 4 - A good ereader for daytime reading. I avoid it at night, because it lacks warm lighting. I like how well it handles fonts. While I can use custom fonts on my Kindle Touch, this has much better support for custom fonts. I can install any number of fonts with any number of weights, and besides adjusting font size, I can adjust font weight.

These are the ones I read on the least:

Kindle Fire 8 HD - When the occasional book uses color, I'll sometimes turn to this device. This is useful when a book on programming uses syntax highlighting, or a book contains color photographs. However, I normally avoid reading on this device, as it is not as comfortable.

Kobo 2 - My first ereader. I hardly use this device, but I do have some unfinished Kobo books, and I don't like the Kobo Android app.

iPad 2 - I sometimes read comics on this, but I usually don't. I use it more for web browsing than for book reading.

Nook Simple Touch - This is rooted, and I mainly use it as an Android tablet. Although the Android version is old, it is useful for a checklist app I use for shopping lists and sets of exercises. It's better than the Checklist app on the Kindle Touch, and it lets me have more lists. I also have some logic games I sometimes play on it. Although I did try it out as an ereader, it lost my place too many times and didn't look as nice as my Kindle Touch.

Last edited by fduniho; 11-11-2021 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Rearranged devices and edited some text
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #74
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Re: chewing through batteries...

I don't get some folks' expectations? My Kobo Clara HD and Kindle Paperwhite each get low - moderate usage, largely in sleep mode. Every couple of weeks, when I notice the unit going below 80% I'll top it up. Is that "normal" in terms of holding a charge?

I like being able to customize the font on the Kobo, as well as displaying the current reader cover with progress. It's better for one continuous book than switching between titles.

For the Paperwhite, honestly I like the overall display better, as well as downloading Kindle books directly (sans Alf). Not willing to pay $20 to ditch ads, which I don't mind, to display current book cover.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #75
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you disable the WiFi?
IMHO a Big power hog when NOT connected (Keeps trying at highest Xmit power until connected, then power is negotiated. This is Normal WiFi)

Weeks to 80%. I would call that more than decent (compared to my Tablets).
I need to charge my Aura2 weekly, but then I do tend to read ~6 hours a day with 15% back light. My K4 was not much better and it has no light
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote