Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #706
Deobulakenyo
Zealot
Deobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As @Skydog, you are supposed to be able to use the stylus to annotate sideloaded PDFs and ePubs. And people reported they could with the Elipsa. But, there appears to be a bug in the firmware on the Sage that means you cannot use the stylus to annotate ePubs. That has been reported to Kobo and it should be being fixed. But, I always recommend that people who see problems report them so that Kobo (or for that matter, any developer of software with bugs) know that it isn't an isolated problem and that people think it is important.
Video review on YT shows epub annotations are possible on the Sage.

9:00 minute mark. sideloaded epub

he sideloaded an epub via dropbox and annotated the book but the annotation stayed on the device only, but with pdf the annotation gets transferred to the dropbox pdf as well

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 10-25-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #707
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
he sideloaded an epub via dropbox and annotated the book but the annotation stayed on the device only, but with pdf the annotation gets transferred to the dropbox pdf as well
That is to be expected. The PDFs are actually being changed to store the annotations inside them. Which is a feature of the PDF format. But, it isn't for epub.

But, there was definite report of not being able to annotation ePubs with the stylus on the Sage. Now I wonder what was happening. It is possible the reviewer is using a different firmware version than what was used for the report. Whether it is a newer or older, I do not know.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #708
Deobulakenyo
Zealot
Deobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-booksDeobulakenyo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is to be expected. The PDFs are actually being changed to store the annotations inside them. Which is a feature of the PDF format. But, it isn't for epub.

But, there was definite report of not being able to annotation ePubs with the stylus on the Sage. Now I wonder what was happening. It is possible the reviewer is using a different firmware version than what was used for the report. Whether it is a newer or older, I do not know.
Probably an older fw. He said it was a review unit that he used.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:27 AM   #709
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I can use the stylus on epubs on my Sage. Firmware 4.29.18730.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:24 AM   #710
Joh4n
Joh4n began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I can use the stylus on epubs on my Sage. Firmware 4.29.18730.
Me too, but not on sideloaded kepubs.
Joh4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:18 AM   #711
Deobulakenyo
Zealot

I have a question re Elipsa (and Sage) handwriting to text conversion.

Is the conversion accuracy affected by the language?

I mean for non-English languages that use English letters, is the accuracy affected?

example:

If i write "dito" in Filipino which is "here" in English, will it be converted to "ditto", sort of like auto-correct thingy?

Or if i write "sino" will it be converted to "sine"?
Old 10-26-2021, 02:20 AM   #712
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Libra H20, Elipsa, Sage
The stylus doesn't work to write on kepubs, but it works as a "slender finger", on the Elipsa or the sage, but not on my Libra H2O. As such, it is easier to move the disks to adjust a selection to look for a word in dictionaries, or to select a sequence of words to underscore - which has the at first surprising effect that underscoring with the stylus point (apparently) on a kepub looks better than with the stylus button on a PDF.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:03 AM   #713
Joh4n
Joh4n began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
The stylus doesn't work to write on kepubs
I hope it will, though:

Supported file types
You can use your Kobo Stylus to write notes on these files:

Kobo ePub (.kepub)
ePub (.epub)
PDF (.pdf)
Note :Your Kobo Stylus cannot write notes on DRM-Protected PDF files and PDF files that disables annotations and markups.
Joh4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #714
zenji
LivresInOz
zenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Galaxy TAB A7
Re the note-taking function: does it have a loop/lassoo tool that allows you to select some inking and do stuff like move or delete?
I find that v useful but havent seen anyone doing it in videos.

I'm also now starting to compare:
- Supernote A5X
- Boox Note Air

My key criteria:
* 10 inch+ screen, which can show book covers
* 32 GB+ storage
* Good note-taking, ideally including lassoo
zenji is offline   Reply With Quote