Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 09-29-2021, 01:45 AM   #1
sirajahmad
sirajahmad began at the beginning.

Device: none
calibre newbie trying to start server

Hi!

I am a completely newbie trying to start calibre on my server.
I had a working installation on my server setup by another developer last week.
Yesterday my SSL certificate expired, the developer was not available and I tried to renew the SSL. I had no SSH access to the server (Digital Ocean), so I ended up resetting the root password by using the recovery console.

When I gained access to the server, all the previous command history were gone. Although I have renewed the SSL certificate, now I am unable to start the calibre.

I have been digging through the forum for past 4 hours now. Here's some of the useful item I have found on the server which might be helpful in debugging.

1. " calibre-debug --paths" returns:

CALIBRE_RESOURCES_PATH=/opt/calibre/resources
CALIBRE_EXTENSIONS_PATH=/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages/calibre/plugins
CALIBRE_PYTHON_PATH=/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7:/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2:/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload:/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages

2. I have following files in /root directory:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 9 2017 03-10-17
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 72983 Mar 10 2017 bkp.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 19 2016 data
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 108980806 Mar 10 2017 data.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 22 2017 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 26 2019 epub
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Sep 29 04:45 folleto-library

3. "calibre-server /root/folleto-library/" returns

There is no calibre library at: /root/folleto-library/

4. " calibre-server --enable-local-write" returns

You must specify at least one calibre library

5. "calibre-server --with-library "/root/folleto-library" --port=8080" returns

Usage: calibre-server [options] [path to library folder...]

Start the calibre Content server. The calibre Content server exposes your
calibre libraries over the internet. You can specify the path to the library
folders as arguments to calibre-server. If you do not specify any paths, all the
libraries that the main calibre program knows about will be used.

Whenever you pass arguments to calibre-server that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. For example: "/some path/with spaces"

calibre-server: error: no such option: --with-library

6. The installed version is :

calibre-server (calibre 3.4)

I'm not sure how much these information would be helpful, but any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you
sirajahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Iridium
Iridium began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I'm unable to give you a specific reply because I've never tried to set up calibre server, but I found what seems like a great guide with all the steps (including starting the server and SSL certificates) online, I hope it can give you some inspiration, if you haven't already read it:
https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-18-04
Iridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that one challenge you'll have is that the syntax for calibre-server has changed between 3.4 and the current version, so the calibre documentation will not apply.

When I have more time I'll see if kovid has older versions of the documentation online.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your version of calibre is very old the server was completely re-written for calibre 4. I suggest either updating the distro or if you dont want to do that, use the calibre binary install from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Then you should be able to use up to date documentation for setting up the server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
you'll need to know the path to at least one of your libraries, what are the contents of the /root/folleto-library/ directory? I have my libraries located like this:

/path/calibre-library/cookbooks
/path/calibre-library/fiction
/path/calibre-library/non-fiction
/path/calibre-library/technical

So, on my old 3.39.1 (hooray for out-of-date repos ) install, the bare-bones command (if I wanted to only serve up the Technical library) looks something like this:

Code:
calibre-server /path/calibre-library/technical --enable-local-write --enable-auth
If you have multiple libraries, it'll be something like:
Code:
calibre-server /path/to/library1 /path/to/library2 /path/to/library3 --enable-local-write --enable-auth
The "--enable-auth" is used if you have user accounts and passwords created in the calibre server that are used to authenticate before people can see the library and contents.

Good luck.

Last edited by CubGeek; 09-30-2021 at 10:22 AM.
CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre 3.4, calibre-server, start, ubuntu