Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Kindle adds series

I noticed on the most recent update that Amazon added series to the Kindle app (iOS version). This is something that Apple added about a year and a half ago. They do it the same way that Apple does, which is show what books are in the series and which ones you don't have. It's pretty nice, IMPO.

However, since they don't want to pay the Apple fee, they don't give you the option of buying. You have to go to your browser for that. Series info hasn't made it to my kindle device yet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I noticed on the most recent update that Amazon added series to the Kindle app (iOS version). This is something that Apple added about a year and a half ago. They do it the same way that Apple does, which is show what books are in the series and which ones you don't have. It's pretty nice, IMPO.

However, since they don't want to pay the Apple fee, they don't give you the option of buying. You have to go to your browser for that. Series info hasn't made it to my kindle device yet.
My 2 Kindles that are at 5.13.4 both have the series option. It's also been available in the Android app for a while.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One of the downsides of moderators moving messages into narrowly focused forums from the forum where it was originally posted is that it removes the possibility of a more expanded discussion. My post was intended to be more the start of a wider discussion of book management, book stores and the ability of easily buy books in a series (thus the mention of how Apple does it) than a Kindle specific discussion. I was just getting ready to post comparing how the Kindle handles series with how Kobo handles series. Not all posters are monogamous with regards to ebook readers. I would appreciate it if the post was moved back where it belongs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Members are reminded that discussing moderation in-thread is a violation of the guidelines. If there’s an issue, a post should be reported or a moderator contacted privately.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is really no big deal to use a browser to purchase books, and for the most part, I prefer that experience to the in-app (or on device) purchase (and use a browser probably 95% of the time). I can have multiple tabs open and defer an immediate purchasing decision indefinitely, for example. And I can deliver it to the app/device of my choosing.

Conversely, it is impossible to purchase books from Apple using a browser. That’s not the case for other ecosystems.

I am curious how the Series experience differs across ecosystems.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is really no big deal to use a browser to purchase books, and for the most part, I prefer that experience to the in-app (or on device) purchase (and use a browser probably 95% of the time). I can have multiple tabs open and defer an immediate purchasing decision indefinitely, for example. And I can deliver it to the app/device of my choosing.

Conversely, it is impossible to purchase books from Apple using a browser. That’s not the case for other ecosystems.

I am curious how the Series experience differs across ecosystems.
The series experience on Kobo is much nicer then that of the Kindle. You can even use the series feature on Kobo with side loaded eBooks using Calibre. You cannot do so with side loaded eBooks on a Kindle. Amazon has locked up the database nice and tight. Also, Kobo has collections that can be managed from Calibre as well as multiple ways to sort.

All of this can be done without the need to jailbreak or patch. It's all available with the stock firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I agree with Jon. Kobo does it much better. While I do love my Oasis and book management on an ereader isn't particularly important to me (Calibre is for that), I'm somewhat disappointed in recent Amazon policy to have new features work only with their own content. I understand why they do it this way, but it's still disappointing. I sideload all my books, even Amazon purchases.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:32 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I agree with Jon. Kobo does it much better. While I do love my Oasis and book management on an ereader isn't particularly important to me (Calibre is for that), I'm somewhat disappointed in recent Amazon policy to have new features work only with their own content. I understand why they do it this way, but it's still disappointing. I sideload all my books, even Amazon purchases.
Nicer if you side load, and don’t mind taking the time and effort to manage all of that content and associated tool chain (presumably including maintaining de-DRM tools). I value my reading time and for me it would be taking time away from the main activity, and would gain me almost nothing.

The Amazon ‘policy’ is long standing, probably since Kindle 3 (at least). Side loaded content is ‘second class’ (but: send-to-kindle is even more convenient than side loading and you don’t need any cables, free cloud storage and syncing, and you aren’t denied any essential reading features). This is not going to change, obviously. It was never promised, so it should be expected, not disappointing. By all means, get a Kobo device.

The Kobo mobile apps are kind of terrible and have not significantly improved over the years (have you ever tried to use them?). And unlike Kindle platform, there’s no way to read 3rd party books with them, as far as I can tell. So if you are like me, who actually enjoys reading on a phone or tablet, Kobo is a non starter, however flexible their eReaders are.

We’re lucky to have choices.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nicer if you side load, and don’t mind taking the time and effort to manage all of that content and associated tool chain (presumably including maintaining de-DRM tools). I value my reading time and for me it would be taking time away from the main activity, and would gain me almost nothing.

The Amazon ‘policy’ is long standing, probably since Kindle 3 (at least). Side loaded content is ‘second class’ (but: send-to-kindle is even more convenient than side loading and you don’t need any cables, free cloud storage and syncing, and you aren’t denied any essential reading features). This is not going to change, obviously. It was never promised, so it should be expected, not disappointing. By all means, get a Kobo device.

The Kobo mobile apps are kind of terrible and have not significantly improved over the years (have you ever tried to use them?). And unlike Kindle platform, there’s no way to read 3rd party books with them, as far as I can tell. So if you are like me, who actually enjoys reading on a phone or tablet, Kobo is a non starter, however flexible their eReaders are.

We’re lucky to have choices.
I don't mind managing my library myself, in fact I enjoy it. As my library is pretty big (as in tens of thousands) and library management on the Amazon side is very primitive (no features or sorting options besides collections and now series, which are not enough for me), Calibre is a must-have. And I only read on eink, so don't care if the reading apps are good or bad.

I do still use my Kindle. I still like it. But yes, if Amazon continues with the only-our-content-and nothing-else policy, I might not buy any more Kindles in the future. Which is a pity, because hardware-wise Kindles are very nice.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:06 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

I do still use my Kindle. I still like it. But yes, if Amazon continues with the only-our-content-and nothing-else policy, I might not buy any more Kindles in the future. Which is a pity, because hardware-wise Kindles are very nice.
I think ‘only-our-content-and-nothing-else’ is an unfair characterization of what Amazon has done with the Kindle. It is more like ‘our content first’. After all, for 99% of Kindle owners, that is all they will ever read on a Kindle.

Amazon supports side loading, in fact supports it for their own content, also maintains send-to-kindle service, and (thanks to calibre and its plugins), even some of the more advanced reading features are available for side-loaded content as well, that would not ordinarily be. They even keep the stupid Your Clippings file around, presumably lest the .01% of users who use it for something complain should they ever take it away. The iOS and Android apps will open .mobi or .pdf files from cloud or local storage (okay, on iOS via send-to-kindle service). There hasn’t been any regression in this functionality over the years, and many features that have benefitted both Amazon and 3rd party content.

And should we give up hope that someone will figure out how to get a Kindle to add Series behavior to side-loaded content?

Last edited by tomsem; 02-12-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:16 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

And should we give up hope that someone will figure out how to get a Kindle to add Series behavior to side-loaded content?
Basically, yes. The same way as no one has figured out how to manage Kindle collections via Calibre. The database for both series and collection management is locked down tight by Amazon.

Yes, there are still plenty of features enabled for sideloaded content. But the recent trend is to introduce new features NOT working with sideloaded content. And that bothers me.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I don't know where you got that info. The Kobo Android app wouldn't be my first choice for reading epubs but it is perfectly possible to read 3rd-party epubs in the Kobo app as long as the epub file exists on the Android device.

Other app features available to both Kobo Store purchases and 3rd-party books are: group by Author, Collections, book synopsis display.

However, the group by Series feature does seem to be limited to purchases from the Kobo Store.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are some thing you can't do by syncing that you can do by side loading. I've seen some eBooks with incorrect metadata such as the title is wrong or the author is last, first. And then there is the generic cover. These are things you can fix by side loading very easily and pretty quickly. Also, if once you start reading and find formatting that bothers you, that too can be fixed and you have no DRM so say you bought from Amazon you one has a Kindle and the other a Kobo, you could share.

Quote:
The Amazon policy is purchased content gets the new features and side loaded content gets shafted. Amazon has locked down access to the database to do anything with. So this new series feature won't work with side loaded eBooks.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #14
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I love the series, it is great to show me what books are available and to insure that I read the books in order
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I love the series, it is great to show me what books are available and to insure that I read the books in order
But are you reading them in order? You just get one order. What if you are shown date published order but want to read in chronological order or the author has a preferred reading order and you want that? You can't change the series. You are stuck with what you get. Thank you Amazon for keeping the Kindle so locked up that side loaded eBooks are 3rd rate citizens.