Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #31
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
or is it going to be 8 or 32GB?
I posted a screenshot above. Check it out again if you haven't paid attention again: it clearly states two possible eMMC options and both are 32 GB. This, among other things, is the basis for the assumption of support for audiobooks.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:08 AM   #32
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
Hopefully it'll have 32 GB everywhere. Right now the Forma 32 GB is only available in select few countries (for example only the 8 GB Forma is available here in Sweden, and Kobo doesn't ship here directly). The Aura One LE I have I imported from Japan.
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The model number is meaningless. https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-tablet lists all of the Kobo device in reverse order of release. I don't see any sort of pattern in the model numbers.
The Libra and Forma are both listed as N782. Which one is wrong?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Libra and Forma are both listed as N782. Which one is wrong?
@Semwize has already pointed out the Libra H2O is N873.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #35
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
If it's a Forma upgrade, I think I'll get one. I need to get a new reader anyways.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #36
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
As I've noted before (and @Nate The Great, that unreliable source GoodEReader actually stole some of their predictions from my findings), I have good reason to believe:

- This one will have audiobook support (there's been traces of this on GitHub, in the firmware, and vaguely on the Kobo website).
- This one might not be an i.MX board.
- This one will have either additional buttons or additional configuration options for the existing buttons.

And, some guesses based on previous patterns:

- This will be a Forma successor or a new lineup (see my codename chart).

And a guess based on really weak information:

- It may have RGB LEDS.

Last edited by geek1011; 02-09-2021 at 09:45 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #37
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It happened with the Aura ONE and then the Forma. ... I was surprised at much I liked those devices and didn't want to give them up.
So, which do you favor the KA1 or Forma?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #38
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
As I've noted before (and @Nate The Great, that unreliable source GoodEReader actually stole some of their predictions from my findings), I have good reason to believe:

- This one will have audiobook support (there's been traces of this on GitHub, in the firmware, and vaguely on the Kobo website).
- This one might not be an i.MX board.
- This one will have either additional buttons or additional configuration options for the existing buttons.

And, some guesses based on previous patterns:

- This will be a Forma successor or a new lineup (see my codename chart).

And a guess based on really weak information:

- It may have RGB LEDS.
Oh, you're the original source on the audiobook rumor? Well that's different, then.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
What does the source have to do with it? Suggest your version, seeing that the device comes initially with 32 GB and there is bluetooth
Many WiFi chips have an FM radio and Bluetooth included. Apple no longer enables the FM radio as it needs the earphone cable as an aerial. My 10" tablet has FM radio for this reason, though stupidly it still needs the wired phones as an aerial even though a good enough VHF aerial will fit inside the case.

Though it would be strange if they didn't add audio support at least for non-DRM. DRM playback needs a licence, royalties. One reason I oppose DRM.
BT keyboard support would also be nice.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Audio support is a negative for me. Like others, I can’t imagine wanting to listen to an audiobook on something as bulky and fragile as an ereader. I also don’t need 32gb.

I’m reasonably happy with my Aura One, but it’s wonky (the endless sync issue, it won’t interact with OverDrive, it won’t sideload kepubs). I also prefer its oblong shape to the blockier shape of the Forma. In any case, the Forma was a nonstarter given its price when I had a device that was good enough. However, I’m wondering if the Forma 1 might be sufficiently clearance priced to make it a reasonable purchase if this is indeed a Forma 2.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #41
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Didn't think right away. The card is eMMC - new device will either really be the successor to the Forma or a completely new device. Not a Clara HD successor
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #42
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I just got my 1st ereader, so I'm not gonna buy anything in the foreseeable future. Also: My next device will, probably, be color screen. Hopefully, by the time I'm in the market for a new device there'll be plenty of 2nd or 3rd generation devices to choose from.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #43
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I broke down and bought a backup Forma a few months ago. I'd been worried they might disappear and I couldn't imagine life without one.

Both of my Formas have sludgy power switches (I only use a sleeve, not a cover). They both usually require multiple presses leading to the occasional reset. Other than that I have absolutely no complaints (I suppose the lighting isn't absolutely perfect but i don't notice it, unlike with several of my other ereaders). I've written rhapsodies about the Formas in other posts so I won't repeat them all here but, for me at least, it's the most perfectly ergonomic electronic device I've ever seen -- size, weight, shape, balance, texture, orientation options, lighting and text customization..... I wouldn't have believed how comfortable it is to hold and read on before I got one. I still occasionally get giddy when I pick it up and feel how light it is.

I don't need another ereader and I don't care about audio (I still think it would be nice to see my book covers in color but I'm not holding my breath), but if the new one has the same general characteristics as the current Forma I'll be right at the head of the pre-order line.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
So, which do you favor the KA1 or Forma?
The Forma. I was very surprised at how much I liked the buttons.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #45
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I don't need another ereader. I don't need bluetooth in it. I don't need to listen to audio books.

But boy do I want those.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote