Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #91
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I didn't even notice any apps on the new Samsung. You'd have to go looking for them and they do nothing without internet connection. The GUI is better layout and size of text. You can put short cuts on the home bar. I don't think it has Apple TV. But no streaming app or other app appears by default on the menu.

Maybe it varies by country? Your Samsung description is like every Android and Fire TV I've seen in Ireland.
I've added an attachment showing my home screen. The row on the bottom is a list of installed apps that I have chosen to display. The row above is a sample of programs available on the selected app.

This is the upstairs, slightly older TV. It lets me remove anything from the home row I chose. The newer TV downstairs looks the same, but has Apple TV and Vudu on the home row and I cannot remove them or move them.

Oh, and enjoy the Bob Ross vibes. The Bob Ross Channel is my favorite 'wallpaper TV'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220701_005056696.MP.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	194670  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #92
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've added an attachment showing my home screen. The row on the bottom is a list of installed apps that I have chosen to display. The row above is a sample of programs available on the selected app.
Obviously it varies by model or country. We have none of that!

I can't try to take a photo because a VIP is watching tennis.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #93
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I can't try to take a photo because a VIP is watching tennis.
That was why I couldn't take one of the downstairs TV with the unremovable apps
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:08 AM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not seeing much of a price difference (if any). Not when it comes to bargain shopping anyway. Comparing list prices, smart tvs may cost fractionally more. But I've found many a smart tv (with all the non-smart features I was looking for) on sale for less than a comparable (size, resolution, screen-technology) "dumb" tv. *shrug*

If had to pay more for a smart tv, I'd avoid them for many of the exact same reasons you mention, though.
I 'caved' and got a 50" Fire TV: $259. It's less than what I paid for our 42" LG Plasma TV (720p) maybe 8 years ago, after it had already been discontinued. The only 50" dumb panels I could find were $399 or so and I doubt the quality is any better than Amazon's: they probably don't mind breaking even on Fire TV as they have every reason to believe they will make money selling content and streaming subscriptions. Same is not true of dumb TV makers.

At this point I'm just planning to plug in our Apple TV 4K, BluRay, and vintage Wii and not connect the Fire TV itself to the internet. It supports HDMI-CEC on one of the ports so if Apple TV is connected to that we should just be able to use its remote for everything but the rare case where we Wii or watch a disc. We currently just use a HomePod pair (the big ones) for sound, with the TV speakers disabled. We also have an old 5.1 system that we can turn on if need be but I'd like to do away with it and get rid of the bulky cabinet our current TV sits on, and hang this new one with a wall bracket and something smaller to put the BluRay and Wii inside of and set the HomePods on. Our living room is not that big.

We used Fire TV box when it first came out and for several years, but I switched to Apple TV about 4 years ago and it works much better with all my other iThings.

Looking forward to finally having a 4K panel for the 4K content.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-16-2022 at 03:21 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:46 AM   #95
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I 'caved' and got a 50" Fire TV: $259. ...
Taking this out of context, that is one big streaming device:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N32NCPM

You would think Amazon could plan a little better with product naming.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #96
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
The smartest TV ever: Any TV you like + any cheap/old computer that is powerful enough to stream YouTube/Netflix/your preferred streaming services + wireless mouse & keyboard.

Always easy to use. No annoying apps with badly designed interfaces and unpredictable updates. No having to painstakingly type out searches letter by letter with some sort of controller.

I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem, and I use a Mac mini for this purpose, but I would never want to replace it with an Apple TV.
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamug View Post
The smartest TV ever: Any TV you like + any cheap/old computer that is powerful enough to stream YouTube/Netflix/your preferred streaming services + wireless mouse & keyboard.

Always easy to use. No annoying apps with badly designed interfaces and unpredictable updates. No having to painstakingly type out searches letter by letter with some sort of controller.

I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem, and I use a Mac mini for this purpose, but I would never want to replace it with an Apple TV.
A cheap/old computer won't be good enough. You may need a computer capable of streaming 4k/HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG, HDR10+). If it cannot do this, the computer is not good enough. Thing is, the Amazon Firestick 4k or 4k MAX can do all of this. It uses less electricity and can stream most of what you'd want to stream.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:12 PM   #98
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A cheap/old computer won't be good enough. You may need a computer capable of streaming 4k/HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG, HDR10+). If it cannot do this, the computer is not good enough. Thing is, the Amazon Firestick 4k or 4k MAX can do all of this. It uses less electricity and can stream most of what you'd want to stream.
Yes, you are right that different people have different priorities, and I guess the real priority to me is ease of input. I'm used to watching YouTube on my TV (where you'd need to type or click every ten minutes or so) and I know I wouldn't even bother with it if I had to do it on the app on the TV itself. I change what I watch and from what source pretty often and linear TV isn't a thing in my world either. Doing all this from a computer desktop while still getting the big screen/couch experience can't be beat now that I'm used to it.

My eyes are not good enough for me to really feel a huge difference between 4K (which I would get from my TV's native apps) and non-4K, and I don't know what half of those acronyms mean, so my view is from a very different perspective.
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #99
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Amazon Firestick 4k or 4k MAX can do all of this. It uses less electricity and can stream most of what you'd want to stream.
Does it have to be registered to work?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:05 AM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Does it have to be registered to work?
Yes, you do need an Amazon account to register the Firestick to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #101
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Not sure. My Kindle Keyboard refuses to boot but I hadn’t touched it for a solid 8 years before I unearthed it recently.

My PW3 that I got to replace it still works fantastic. It gets very low use however due to me just not caring for the software that Amazon made for it.

My H2O is a year old now and my Clara HD is just a few days old. Hoping I get a solid 5-10 years out of both, they’re basically perfect imo.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote