Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Alphabase
Alphabase is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo aura hd, Kobo Aura One
Sync fails on kobo aura 1

Hi all,

My kobo aura one has suddenly been unable to complete a sync successfully. Never had this issue before or with my old aura HD.

The sync starts and then after trying for a bit, eventually pops up an error window saying "Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we could not finish your update..."

The funny thing is, my pocket updates do sync as do the suggested readings from the kobo store. Not sure exactly what it is failing on.

Lastly, I've made no changes to my internet connection or router etc... I can use the browser on the kobo aura one to surf just fine. All of my other devices operate as normal.

This behaviour started a week ago and has been consistent. I was half expecting to see a thread here discussing it as I had hoped it was something on kobo' side that others were experiencing.

Any ideas?
Alphabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just noticed the same thing happening on my Glo: the sync seems to complete okay, as far as I can tell everything is working as normal, but about half a minute after it displays the "sync complete" message an error box pops up.

My Glo has been running the same firmware version 3.19.5761 for almost a year now, so it must be a change at the server end.

Edit: I generally keep wi-fi turned off and only turn it on once or twice per week to sync, so the problem might have started sometime in the last week. I've never seen this error message before. Turning the device off and on doesn't affect it.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-01-2016 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Add some extra info.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Alphabase: Have you restarted the device in that time? I tend to see problems like that when the device has been running for a while without restarting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Same problem here with my Aura One, and as above, it just started within the last week or so. Have been trying to sync because, if memory serves, we're due for another firmware update pretty soon.
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Alphabase

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Alphabase: Have you restarted the device in that time? I tend to see problems like that when the device has been running for a while without restarting.
Thanks - but yes I did try that to no avail...
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Alphabase

So it does seem that there is a possibility that there is something going on KOBO-wise if others are now seeing this behaviour?

One other surprise - just this morning as I was trying this process again I noticed that the Ottawa public library - which up until this point in time was NOT working and NOT supported with Overdrive on the Kobo Aura 1 - started to work and I was able to take a book out.

That is awesome news! I'm just wondering if this change has something to do with the new error? If anyone else is having this issue ... are you in Ottawa or were you using a library that was not working... but now is?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

No Ottawa connection here, I'm afraid. Has to be something amiss with the server. I did notice when searching for other instances of this that the same problem has been reported in the past with other Kobo models. Not sure what to make of this.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
valhen
valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.

Device: kobo aura one, sony prs-t2
I've just started getting this error as well. I too keep my wifi off and sync once a week or so (my last sync before today was actually 11/22), mostly to get books from Overdrive.

My sync goes on forever with a lot of partial home screen flashing and eventually times out with a network error. I noticed that the sync seems to almost complete: it downloaded 4/5 new books, but I'm missing one of them. I checked Kobo's bookstore and the book indeed exists so there should be no error on the pass-through from Overdrive/Rakuten.

I also powered the device on/off with no change in behavior.

Sigh...
valhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhen View Post
I've just started getting this error as well. I too keep my wifi off and sync once a week or so (my last sync before today was actually 11/22), mostly to get books from Overdrive.

My sync goes on forever with a lot of partial home screen flashing and eventually times out with a network error. I noticed that the sync seems to almost complete: it downloaded 4/5 new books, but I'm missing one of them. I checked Kobo's bookstore and the book indeed exists so there should be no error on the pass-through from Overdrive/Rakuten.

I also powered the device on/off with no change in behavior.
When you powered off and on, did you lose anything? I have seen what you are describing when the database has been corrupt. If it is, then you normally lose recent changes after a restart. Things like older books appear on the home screen or the reading status reverting. And in this case, the three books downloaded disappearing.

You can check the database with my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre or any SQLite management tool.

Something else to try is to download the missing books manually. If they are listed in the library list, then you can download them one at a time and hopefully that will allow the sync to complete properly.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
Alphabase

And... just like that I can sync again without issue. I can only assume they changed something on the kobo servers after a week.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #11
gilster
Connoisseur

Interesting! I just tried again and the sync again fails. So the mystery continues. I seem to be able to download books from the Kobo store, but apparently am locked out of everything else.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilster View Post
Interesting! I just tried again and the sync again fails. So the mystery continues. I seem to be able to download books from the Kobo store, but apparently am locked out of everything else.
What else are you expecting to sync? The prime purpose is to get the books. It also syncs collections, bookmarks and the reading status. Then there are the recommendations and related books. The last thing is the Pocket articles. So, what are you missing?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
valhen
valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.valhen is less competitive than you.

Device: kobo aura one, sony prs-t2
Quote:
When you powered off and on, did you lose anything? I have seen what you are describing when the database has been corrupt. If it is, then you normally lose recent changes after a restart. Things like older books appear on the home screen or the reading status reverting. And in this case, the three books downloaded disappearing.
No, nothing lost. The last book didn't sync (and the sync didn't complete) before reboot. Nor after reboot. Nothing changed that I could see.

Quote:
You can check the database with my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre or any SQLite management tool.
I'll be honest that I don't have calibre installed since I never side-load books. I've got DB Browser, however. What am I looking for?

Quote:
Something else to try is to download the missing books manually. If they are listed in the library list, then you can download them one at a time and hopefully that will allow the sync to complete properly.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the "library list". But I tried this a different way. I returned the book that wouldn't sync via the library's overdrive site. Then I searched Kobo for the book, found it, and manually borrowed it from Overdrive. No problems with the checkout, and the book immediately downloaded to my One.

But the sync still won't complete. It reports a network error and (sometimes) disconnects me from my network.
valhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhen View Post
I'll be honest that I don't have calibre installed since I never side-load books. I've got DB Browser, however. What am I looking for?
You need to run "PRAGMA integrity_check" against the database. You either need to enter it as a SQL command to run, or find a menu option that runs it for you
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the "library list". But I tried this a different way. I returned the book that wouldn't sync via the library's overdrive site. Then I searched Kobo for the book, found it, and manually borrowed it from Overdrive. No problems with the checkout, and the book immediately downloaded to my One.
I meant the list of books on the device. Anything you buy or borrow should appear in the list. If they have not been downloaded, the status on the right will say "Download". Tapping the book will download it. It should be the same for library books, but I have no way to test.

Good that you have found a way to get the book, but I'm surprised it doesn't need the sync to download it. But, the book downloading is fairly early in the sync, so it's probably happening before the error.
Quote:
But the sync still won't complete. It reports a network error and (sometimes) disconnects me from my network.
I see enough network errors not to be surprised by them, but restarting the device nearly always solves them. The other times I have seen this is when there is congestion on the network. In this case, it's probably the Kobo server not responding in time. And the device might reset the connection which would result in being disconnected from the network. If this is the problem, then the only suggestion is to keep trying. Or, if possible, try another network connection. If it is actually a network problem, that might help.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Kinda nice to see that others are also having this problem. I tried updating with the Kobo Desktop app as well and the exact same issue occurs.

I spoke to a staff member on Kobo's instant chat. They thought obviously there must be some problem with my internet connection. Yup. Of course it can't be a problem with the reader, lol.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote