Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
GT4NE1
GT4NE1 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex
iRex DR800 PDF Testing

Hello all,

New here. Just wanted to thank everyone for the great info this site provides. I used the information here to purchase a Sony Digital Reader PRS-600 after testing it a little at Target. Unfortunately, I didn't like how it performed with non-DRM PDFs (which I was unable to test before purchasing it), so I am currently selling it.

I'm now considering a proper document reading device such as the iRex DR800. I will only be using it for non-DRM technical PDFs such as software manuals and open source software "e-books".

I was hoping someone with an iRex DR800 could test out some PDFs for me to make sure they display well. I'm mainly concerned that they are readable without any kind of text resizing as I don't like how that messes up the formatting.

I'm mainly interested in PDFs like the below:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/suppor...ver/340104.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...0O9IfOvnFIKXMg

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-book.pdf

I watched the very informative iRex DR800 video review provided, but it was kind of hard to tell how readable PDFs were in native size. I'm trying not the make the same mistake I did with the Sony Digital Reader before I buy the iRex.

I guess I'm just looking for someone's general opinion on how readable the text is without resizing it. I have perfect vision thanks to Lasik, but my eyes do tend to get tired at the end of the long day which is when I will probably be using the device.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

-GT
GT4NE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
You can image what it looks like from its screen size.
Half page looks pretty good. You may use program like TechPDF, or half-chop PDF files before uploading them to dr800.
If you do not like half-page, bigger screen (like Kindle DX) is what you need.
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Franky
Nameless Being

yoh GT4NE1, saw it, downloaded it, checked it. i think that went pretty good. i could read it without any problems. no zoom needed. also writing on it is cool. making notes and so.
my conclusion is that the DR800 is capable to get the job done.

there is 1 tiny disadvantage... if you'd like to write or draw something on a picture or in text, you only can do that when it's in the original state. so no zoom. that could be sometimes a bit tricky.

besides that; i think it's ok.

Last edited by Franky; 05-06-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
GT4NE1
GT4NE1 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
yoh GT4NE1, saw it, downloaded it, checked it. i think that went pretty good. i could read it without any problems. no zoom needed. also writing on it is cool. making notes and so.
my conclusion is that the DR800 is capable to get the job done.

there is 1 tiny disadvantage... if you'd like to write or draw something on a picture or in text, you only can do that when it's in the original state. so no zoom. that could be sometimes a bit tricky.

besides that; i think it's ok.
Thanks Franky! Now just to decided whether or not to wait for an Android tablet that would have more powerful PDF software and cost about the same or less.
GT4NE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Franky
Nameless Being

now, if you really wanna have a PDF-reader device what give you more pleasure, just look at the Entourage eDGe. hé, that's really a piece of technics.
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
kshadlen
kshadlen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
now, if you really wanna have a PDF-reader device what give you more pleasure, just look at the Entourage eDGe. hé, that's really a piece of technics.
Evidently that weighs 3 pounds (~1.4kg), quite heavy to carry around, no?
kshadlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Franky
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshadlen View Post
Evidently that weighs 3 pounds (~1.4kg), quite heavy to carry around, no?
you gottah point, but he... if you wanna have something, you need to sacrifice.. but you're right, it's a bit heavy for walking around.

we just came back from a 2 week trip with the Irex. fantastic device. glad to had it with us...