Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
rmettier
rmettier began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Disappointing battery life?

Hi everyone

I finally got my nook on Wednesday, and overall, I'm amazed at how awesome this little device is. However, I am having some strong differences in battery life, compared to what it should be.
I fully charged my nook over night from Thursday to Friday Morning (yesterday). Since then, I've read for about 2 1/2 hours, and for the rest it's been in standby mode (cityscape screensaver). It's been in flight mode all the time.
This morning (about 26 hours after I stopped charging), I got the message about power level being too low to operate.

So, if the battery life is about one day in standby, in flight mode, I dread how quickly it'll be dead if I use it properly.

Is anyone else having these problems?
rmettier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
mwhite67
mwhite67 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I find the battery life to be much worse than the 10 day B&N were claiming, but mine will last somewhere around 2 or 3 days with somewhere around 4 hours actual use and the rest standby.
mwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With any book reader, it typically takes a few charge/discharge cycles to correctly calibrate the battery gauge. I'm sure you'll find that you'll get a better life on the next charge cycle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
According to my calculations, with airplane mode on and minimal use of the touchscreen, the nook loses about 6% of battery charge an hour while reading, and somewhere between 0.2% and 0.3% per hour while sleeping. It prompts for recharge somewhere between 14 and 18% charge left. I have read similar things from other people on the B&N help board.

If you're getting radically higher numbers (in terms of charge lost/hour), I'd call B&N.

Based on these numbers, you can figure out how much time you'll get out of it on hours of Reading and hours of Sleep.

I usually have to charge it every other day, but I've been reading it a lot. I usually get 13 hours of reading out of it before needing a recharge.

13 hours * 6% = 78% (reading time) plus (6/0.3) 20 hours sleep (6%) = battery at 16%, time to recharge...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
rmettier
rmettier began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With any book reader, it typically takes a few charge/discharge cycles to correctly calibrate the battery gauge. I'm sure you'll find that you'll get a better life on the next charge cycle.
Seems like you're very much right. I'm currently trying to discharge it completely. Touchscreen at full brightness and playing music at 1% battery. It's been at 1% for over half an hour so far

This week, I ran the nook for more than two hours a day and haven't charged it yet.
rmettier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

I've only had my Nook for a few days and I've only charged it once. It's been three days so far and the battery is at maybe 40%? I've probably had it on for about 6-7 hours and I always leave it on standby, I only turned it off once this morning.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've had mine since 2/14. I charged it fully the night I got it. Today is the first day I'm hooking it up to the computer for a recharge. Seems about on par with my 700. It didn't prompt me to recharge, the battery gauge was just a little too low for my comfort
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
ajamudc
ajamudc began at the beginning.

I've been wondering if it uses more battery power if you use the touchscreen swipe to change the page vs. the buttons. I've had my nook for about a week, generally use the touchscreen swipe to change pages and my battery life has been really short. I have been getting about 2 days or so between charges. Since this afternoon, I have been using the buttons to turn instead and my battery level has barely moved. Is it possible that just the swipe could run the battery that much? Has anyone else had this experience?
ajamudc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
No, it does not matter, if you use the touchscreen to swipe pages or the side buttons. I tried it with 100 page swipes in a row. Both used the same amount of battery.

I have no problem with battery life at all. I think it last pretty long, as long as you just read on your Nook and don't play around with the touchscreen all the time. Which is of course very tempting in the beginning

My setting is flightmode off and wifi on all the time and it last a long time this way Cannot complain about that.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Xymantix
Xymantix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
I'm kind of on the fence with this one. On one hand, the battery lasts a fairly long time and if I read heavily then I have to charge it every few days. However, I also have a Sony PRS-300 and the battery life on that is several times better than my nook. I've read 7 books in a row on the Sony, but can only read 2-3 on the nook.

I don't have wifi turned on and it's in airplane mode, so I've done everything I can think of to prolong the battery life of the nook. Most disturbing is that the Sony appears to draw 0 power when it's off, but the nook continues to draw power and drain the battery even when I'm not using it. I can leave it on my nightstand for 3 days and the battery will be way down.

The reason that I say I'm on the fence is that on one hand the battery life is perfectly reasonable. Being able to read a couple of books without charging it seems reasonable to me. As does charging it every 5 days or so. However, I was used to the extraordinary battery life of the Sony, and to top it all off B&N claimed 10 days of use with the nook. I'd bet that my nook's battery would be totally drained in 10 days - and that's without me reading anything on it and having the wifi and 3G turned off! That's the part that's killing me.
Xymantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymantix View Post
I'm kind of on the fence with this one. On one hand, the battery lasts a fairly long time and if I read heavily then I have to charge it every few days. However, I also have a Sony PRS-300 and the battery life on that is several times better than my nook. I've read 7 books in a row on the Sony, but can only read 2-3 on the nook.
On the other hand, my Sony PRS-600 will drain its battery in 7-8 days. Different devices do have different power consumption characteristics. That's just a fact of life, and is one of the things one has to investigate before buying a device, if it's something that's important to you.

The PRS-300 certainly does discharge when it's in "standby" mode. It will flatten its battery in about two and a half to three weeks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Per B&N support, there is another software rev coming out in March that will improve battery life, among other things.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
cob666
cob666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Per B&N support, there is another software rev coming out in March that will improve battery life, among other things.
This is good to hear. My previous reader was a Sony 505 and I could read for almost 2 weeks without having to charge it. The Nook requires charging almost every other day (I've had it for just over a week).

Shutting down the wireless (airplane mode) seems to help a bit but I can't quantify it.

I'm really looking forward to the next firmware. B&N has the potential for a GREAT product if they listen to the user base and add smart features instead of stupid gimmicky ones.
cob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

I'm very happy with the battery life. In the last four days I've used my Nook about 2-3 hours everyday and I only had to charge it last night (fourth night). For me, this is all I need. I don't need an eReader to last a week, I mean..it's not hard to plug it in at night or when I'm not at home.

Plus, I always keep my Nook in standby mode. I never turn it off.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
I'm having issues with battery life too. Yesterday i left Nook at home with 81% charge or so, came home and it was 6%. Fortunately Nook charges quite quickly. It was on airplane mode, and i've just softrooted.
Before that I had noticed it lasted only a couple of days with wifi on. So I tested airplane mode, for reading only. It lasted about 4 days or so, only 500 page turns. My sony 300 that I got in Jan, i havent used very much, and my son is reading on it now. And we havent had to charge it fully at home yet! But its down to one bar power I think.
This morning I went out with Nook 98% charged. Only reading and now it's about 73%. I do use the touch screen bec I sometimes switch between books. I was wondering if the softroot affected battery life and caused it to drain in a day.. Bec that was the only thing I'd done that was diff.. But still observing..
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote