Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Will Your PC Handle Windows Longhorn?

That's a tough question to answer right now, but there are signs that you'll want a pretty beefy computer when you make the upgrade. Microsoft Watch gives us a few tibits of information...
  • It's currently scheduled for end of 2006 (but don't be surprised if the date slips.)
  • Last year some sources indicated unofficially that the average PC with Longhorn was recommended to have:
    -- Dual core 4-6 GHz CPU
    -- At least 2gig RAM
    -- A graphics processor 3x as fast as those currently available
    and more!
  • At WinHEC this year, a Microsoft group product manager said "most existing mainstream 32- and 64-bit CPUs from mainstream manufacturers should run Longhorn." (But that may not mean it would be a pleasant experience!)
  • Set in stone are requirements for at least 512Meg RAM and "support for the new Longhorn Display Driver Model (LDDM) in order to handle the operating system's new graphical features."
  • A Microsoft developer "did advise mobile PC makers to consider supporting 802.XX wireless; General Packet Radio Service (GPRS); Bluetooth; the various Tablet PC input technologies (including speech and touch, in addition to digital ink); ClearType, the hybrid flash/disk technology; and Longhorn's forthcoming Secure Startup capability, among other features."
So bottom line, I'd say you better plan on running Longhorn on a computer you don't own right now. But that's okay because your current PC will probably be pretty out-of-date by the Longhorn is available anyway!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It is nice to know that Microsoft isn't even trying to cover its "unsacred" alliances with Intel & Co. Dual core 4-6GHz? Give me a break. What is Longhorn going to offer that you cannot do with Windows XP and that requires me to buy a new computer that is at least 10 times as fast as my current one?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
For some comparison, have a look at the released-today (which I probably will get my copy of in the evening ) Tiger.

G3, G4, or G5 with 256 of RAM (512 is probably better), built-in firewire (why, I dunno...), built in or external display (of course....), and 2 gigs of space.

http://www.apple.com/ca/macosx/upgra...uirements.html
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote