Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
AnneD
AnneD doesn't litterAnneD doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Library keeps disappearing?

Had this problem since a couple of updates back. I open up Calibre and my library is gone.

Preferences still show the right link. The books/folders etc are still there on my HD, but calibre shows nothing in the screen.

I've installed/uninstalled, rebuilt the DB by bulk and one by one, but this afternoon I open it back up to add more books and the library is bare again.

Can anyone offer any advice (hopefully something blonde that I'm doing)? I love what Calibre does for me and my Sony Reader, but I'm getting just a tad frustrated

Running on a Mac OSX 10.4.11 Intel
AnneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm, what size is your metadata.db file? It will be located in whatever directory you've chosen for your calibre library.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
AnneD

136kb currently. I've held off putting any more books in just in case it disappeared on me again.

One thing I did notice - the files from yesterday were # in their thousands, but today, when I added books from that directory they started at #1 again. So yesterday, did I enter things into the db that once the machine was rebooted no longer existed? So although the files were there the db they related to weren't? (can you tell I am not a db person?)
Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, when you adda book to calibre, the book is copied into the appropriate directory under the library directory and then an entry is made in the database for that book.

What does running

Code:
calibredb list
in a terminal give you?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You're not putting your calibre library into a folder where all your ebooks already are... then adding them to the library... then deleting the files are you?

You have to specify a NEW and EMPTY folder for the calibre library and then keep your grubby explorer out of it. Let calibre manage all the files and folders in your calibre directory.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
AnneD

No disappearing library today.

Running 'calibredb list' gives me the list I currently have in my folder. So that is good. (once I figured out what a terminal was )

Pilot Bob - always a fresh/clear folder.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, I'm going to need more information to be able to debug this. If/whenthis happens the next time, post the output of the calibredb list command as well as the contents of your library folder (acoording to Finder)
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
AnneD

I will, and thank you for responding so quickly.

I've fingers crossed that it won't though