Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Could bundles give leg-up to new writers?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/...ooks&cat=books

An interesting idea which has worked (apparently) for games and music. But how to persuade them to let us join in?

Last edited by MartinC; 10-28-2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Error in URL
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Doesn't feel like a match to me and I bought every single Humble Bundle of PC video games.

I think most of us pick the books we choose to read more selectively than typical bundles can offer. I recognize there may be a cost savings here but I already have too many e-books I need to read, without being thrown a bunch of may-be-chaff for my tastes. I think the best thing a new author can do is offer a free or $0.99 first taste.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I think there is better profit motive if you have a few books out and give one for bundle. On other hand my understading also is that bundles really haven't hurt the sales too much...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
For some reason I'm much more leery of buying an unknown book than of buying an unknown game. I've purchased every humble bundle to date except this one. I'm still trying to work out the reasons, but there is definitely a psychological barrier to this business model for books.

EDIT: I've thought about it a bit. A large part of my motivation for buying is that, out of a collection of four or five games, there is at least one "hit" that responds to my tastes: a critically-acclaimed, high-quality title in a genre I appreciate. That one, by itself, justifies the purchase of the bundle... the others are often gravy.

I'm not a big fan of contemporary sci fi, so the presence of a big name like Cory Doctorow didn't appeal to me, but if the collection had been more literary—say, with a Zadie Smith or Michael Chabon title as a headliner—I'd have jumped all over it.

So maybe there isn't anything intrinsic to books, after all. It's just a question of targeting the right niche. As it happens, sci fi is very popular with a large part of the same demographic that buys and enjoys indie video games. That makes it a good business decision by Humble, though not one that appealed to me.

Last edited by holymadness; 10-30-2012 at 05:33 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I like the idea of a bundle with half well-known published authors coupled with new authors in the same genre. I think it would be a great way to get exposure for new authors.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
For some reason I'm much more leery of buying an unknown book than of buying an unknown game. I've purchased every humble bundle to date except this one. I'm still trying to work out the reasons, but there is definitely a psychological barrier to this business model for books.

EDIT: I've thought about it a bit. A large part of my motivation for buying is that, out of a collection of four or five games, there is at least one "hit" that responds to my tastes: a critically-acclaimed, high-quality title in a genre I appreciate. That one, by itself, justifies the purchase of the bundle... the others are often gravy.

I'm not a big fan of contemporary sci fi, so the presence of a big name like Cory Doctorow didn't appeal to me, but if the collection had been more literary—say, with a Zadie Smith or Michael Chabon title as a headliner—I'd have jumped all over it.

So maybe there isn't anything intrinsic to books, after all. It's just a question of targeting the right niche. As it happens, sci fi is very popular with a large part of the same demographic that buys and enjoys indie video games. That makes it a good business decision by Humble, though not one that appealed to me.
Each humble bundle is themed so you can probably expect other genres
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
If that's the case, I will be on board. Especially if the unknown authors receive the imprimatur of the better-known ones.

But since participating in a venture like this requires forward thinking, and a willingness to sell one's work at far lower prices than usual, it will require a certain kind of author to get on board. Or a lot of convincing.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote