Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #2491
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not following. You say you own the song. Did you purchase it through Amazon Music, or have you uploaded a personal recording of it to Amazon music? Or are you saying you have to specifically say Amazon music to get her to play it without complaining?

I say: Alexa, Play "song title" by "song artist"

She says: Hmm....I can't find that song in your music library but it's available on Amazon limited. Would you like a free trial to Amazon Unlimited?

I say: No
She says: Okay here's a sample then.
I say: Cancel

It doesn't matter if I bought the song through Amazon or uploaded it from my own collection.

I have to go into the Alexa app to find the song in my library and tap play every time.

This particular song was bought through Amazon.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #2492
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Me: "Alexa play Decyfer Down radio"
Alexa: "Should I add a station Put The Mike Down to your iHeart radio account?"
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #2493
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I say: Alexa, Play "song title" by "song artist"

She says: Hmm....I can't find that song in your music library but it's available on Amazon limited. Would you like a free trial to Amazon Unlimited?

I say: No
She says: Okay here's a sample then.
I say: Cancel

It doesn't matter if I bought the song through Amazon or uploaded it from my own collection.

I have to go into the Alexa app to find the song in my library and tap play every time.

This particular song was bought through Amazon.

Sent from my XT1528
This matches my experience when I try to play a particular song.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #2494
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm assuming that Amazon music is set as your default Music Library service in the Music & Media settings of the Alexa app? If Spotify is set as your default music library service, then you'd have to add "on Amazon Music" to your request. I've also found that "the"s matter a lot when matching the title (especially when it's the very first word in the title and I skip it by mistake). I actually have pretty good luck with her getting individual songs right the very first time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #2495
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Try using "Alexa - Play 'song title' by 'author' from my music"

This just worked or me, with a song that I know is NOT in amazon music, but was uploaded by me to my library. (FWIW, the song was Daytona by Chris Rea. None of his songs are on Amazon Music.)
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #2496
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually don't even have to include the artist to get songs I've purchased or uploaded to play. Since Amazon Music is set as my default music library service in Alexa, all I have to say is "Alexa, play Dun Ringill" and away we go. My Spotify account is linked, but I have to add "on/from Spotify" to the request since it's not the default.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #2497
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
This matches my experience when I try to play a particular song.
Frustrating isn't it? If seems if Amazon Music Unlimited has the song she can't find it.

I don't have Spotify.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #2498
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Try using "Alexa - Play 'song title' by 'author' from my music"

This just worked or me, with a song that I know is NOT in amazon music, but was uploaded by me to my library. (FWIW, the song was Daytona by Chris Rea. None of his songs are on Amazon Music.)
She says she can't find it but it's available on Amazon Music Unlimited. Do I want to hear more Info?

Sent from my XT1528
Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #2499
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Have you checked on the setting I mentioned in the Alexa app to make sure a default music service has been set? I can assure you that I have no problem with her finding individual songs in my Amazon Music library, regardless if they're available on Amazon unlimited or not. It's certainly possible. But I don't know why your experience would be so different doing the same thing. *shrug*
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #2500
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"No, Mr. Smart, I find that very difficult to believe."

Unless your books are read by Eeyore, 2.5x seems unintelligible, much less enjoyable. Might as well ruffle through the pages a la Johnny 5 and call it reading.

No. I do. It depends on the book. I tried to read one on 3X but it was too fast. I also listen to podcasts on 2.5X, variable speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #2501
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no personally uploaded music and no music service other than Amazon. When I ask for a specific song, it's one I've purchased from Amazon.

Sometimes I think I must be mistaken; maybe it's not something I purchased from Amazon. But I'll check my Amazon music library, and, sure enough, it's right there.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #2502
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I just purchased an Album from Amazon Music yesterday. It's available with Music Unlimited (which I don't have). I can request any individual song from that album and have it play. I have many songs/albums in that same boat.

Having no other music services does not mean a default music service has been selected in the Alexa app settings. It may well be that "Amazon Music" is selected as the default music library service, but I don't quite get the reluctance to verify that defaults have indeed been set. Where's the harm? I promise I'll shut up about it if one of you would but check.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #2503
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just purchased an Album from Amazon Music yesterday. It's available with Music Unlimited (which I don't have). I can request any individual song from that album and have it play. I have many songs/albums in that same boat.

Having no other music services does not mean a default music service has been selected in the Alexa app settings. It may well be that "Amazon Music" is selected as the default music library service, but I don't quite get the reluctance to verify that defaults have indeed been set. Where's the harm? I promise I'll shut up about it if one of you would but check.
No reluctance; the default is Amazon Music, and I did double-check.

I generally have had no trouble getting Alexa to play an album from my collection. Songs, however, are another matter.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #2504
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No reluctance; the default is Amazon Music, and I did double-check.

I generally have had no trouble getting Alexa to play an album from my collection. Songs, however, are another matter.
Thanks for the report.

How much are you saying when you try to play a specific song? I've found that less is almost always best in these matters. Unless you own two songs with the exact same title by different artists, there's no real reason to include the name of the artist. In fact doing so, can only increase the chances of Alexa interpreting something wrong.

"Alexa, play Carry On Wayward Son."
"Alexa, shuffle Point of Know Return."

As opposed to:
"Alexa, play Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas" or
"Alexa, shuffle the album Point of Know Return by Kansas."

And of course, inadvertently adding/excluding articles, pronouns and such from song-titles will foul up the works, too. I've had a bit of a rude awakening as to what I think the titles of songs are, and how those titles are actually printed on the albums ("Life's a Long Song" as opposed to "Life Is a Long Song").

Apologies if my taste in music offends anyone.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #2505
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Have you checked on the setting I mentioned in the Alexa app to make sure a default music service has been set? I can assure you that I have no problem with her finding individual songs in my Amazon Music library, regardless if they're available on Amazon unlimited or not. It's certainly possible. But I don't know why your experience would be so different doing the same thing. *shrug*
Yes there is no other option but Amazon Music to choose from.

I think for me I was an early adopter. I also pay $25 a year for Amazon Cloud Player and I once had Prime. I no longer have Prime but I still have Amazon Cloud Player which weirdly still has Prime Songs in my library that will not play. Now here's the crazy,one song that is Prime that I bought will not play at all in app or echo. It still sees the song as Prime music. Now I also have to deal with it not finding a song that is also on Amazon Music Unlimited.

And DD, I have thousands of songs uploaded so I have to add the artist unless it's an unique title.

I can't say play Jingle Bells because I have like 20+ different variations uploaded.

Sent from my XT1528