Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
nikkienelson
nikkienelson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Coverage, Canada

This seems to me like a really simple, really stupid question to be asking, but I've been hunting for days now with no real clear answers. So I appologise if i sound like an uneducated bum!

I'm looking to order a Kindle 3, I'm in Canada, I'm in a high coverage area according to the map, Since I'm in Edm AB. A Friend of mine has the K2, and she had mentioned that she had to get the one with global wireless in order to connect to the internet without the USB cord. She has no clue about the k3 though, So I'm wondering...

In Canada, if i purchase the Kindle 3 Wifi will i be able to connect wireless to my home network? Or will i need to purchase the 3g+wifi because it has the global wireless coverage option?

It's important to note that i could care less about the 3g coverage, i don't care if i can download books at the park. I just want to know if i can do it while sitting on my couch, well within my home wireless network. So the only part I'm curious about is whether the fact that one boasts the "global wireless in 100 countries" whilst the other does not, will adversely affect this.
nikkienelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you only plan to use WiFi, get the WiFi model. What "coverage area" you are in is irrelevant for WiFi; that's referring only to 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
139$ kindle = sit on couch and download
189$ kindle = sit in a park and download

the wifi version allows connecting anywhere there is wifi like starbucks, mcdonalds, libraries, friend houses etc so it's not an issue

the 3g version allows downloading while in a car, bus, park anywhere (like you mentioned, this feature is kind of pointless unless you buy books everyday)

have fun!
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
nikkienelson
nikkienelson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you... That was my original thought, but after speaking to my friend, i wanted to make sure before i ordered
nikkienelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have the Kindle 2 which is 3G only; and I bought the Kindle 3 with wifi only. Once you have loaded several books, there is no burning need for 3G in my case. If on a bus, train or plane, I have lots of reading material. Wifi works great and is fast; and I have great wifi at home and virtually every hotel I travel to.

I saved the $50 between 3G and wifi only. But if you opt for the 3G it does work in Canada very well (I've tried St. John's, Montreal and Toronto so far; as well as remote parts of Mexico).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
the 3g version allows downloading while in a car, bus, park anywhere (like you mentioned, this feature is kind of pointless unless you buy books everyday)
But 3G can be used for an awful lot more than simply buying books. For example, I've used Wiki access with my K2 extensively on my holidays to find out about places I'm visiting. I find 3G to be extremely useful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
MrT-Man
MrT-Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 3
Does anyone know if the Kindle 3 will allow unrestricted web browsing over 3G in Canada, or is it really just limited to Wikipedia, as Amazon says?
MrT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Mr.Toad
Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
Does anyone know if the Kindle 3 will allow unrestricted web browsing over 3G in Canada, or is it really just limited to Wikipedia, as Amazon says?
The DXG does, so I imagine the Kindle 3 will.

I recently took a DXG on a European tour and found I could do web browsing almost anywhere (Belarus was the exception - couldn't even get a signal there).
Mr.Toad is offline   Reply With Quote