Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #31
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTaRe View Post
I'm of the same opinion. Liquavista only stated that they rewrote the algorithms to make their screen much more efficient. They still would require power to produce a screen image as the screen is based on LCD tech.

To my knowledge the only color displays that use power only when the screen change is Mirasol and the Bridgestone QR-LPD screen. Mirasol displays color by changing the distance between the film and reflective layer the light bounces off and QR-LPD uses liquid powder that charges to the screen. Both require no energy to continue to display the page.

So far I haven't seen anything from Liquavista stating their displays work that way.
Well Mirasol requires a bias voltage run across it to maintain a hold state, but it's very small.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #32
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, isn't the question... Does this slow down your reading speed?

I assume with a palm you are turning the page 2 or maybe 3 times per and eInk page on a 6inch reader. Also, I know my Kindle (slow eink) turns the page faster then I did when I read a pbook.

Also, my Camry is slower than a Porsche 911 yet we can both drive down the highway side by side at 75 MPH.

BOb
Comparing with paper? Paper is much faster and more responsive. By far. It only lacks keyword searching.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

BOb
For me its not the speed, its the distraction factor.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #34
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Everything I have read, including the description you just posted, says that this is false. Liquavista still needs power to maintain the image.
I goofed up, thanks for pointing this out guys. Post updated.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #35
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think I'm like many people here. I don't care so much about the technology behind my reader's display as much as the characteristics of the display. I also don't want the same display for all situations.

When it's time for me to replace my 505 I'll look at what's available and decide then. I may go with E-Ink, or with some other technology - it depends on the device. I know low power and a stable display are more important to me than either color or instantaneous refresh.

Right now, an E-Ink device comes closest to meeting my needs even if it isn't perfect.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #36
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Even if eInk/EPD does disappear from the realm of ebook readers I think the technology overall still has a bright future ahead of it. Specifically in applications where speed is not critical and the bistable nature clearly benefits... like signs or shelf labels.

Also we've yet to see flexible versions of these recent alternatives. It seems like it would be especially difficult with Liquavista.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #37
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
And I don't quite get this multi-purpose vs. single-purpose antagonism some people are pushing on MR.
It's largely a reaction to the clueless geek sites that constantly whine about how convergence is the second coming and single-use devices are all doomed. Several single-use devices that each perform their function well are better than one multi-use device that does everything in a mediocre fashion.

Quote:
I sometimes find myself paging back through a book to refresh my memory of a particular passage. I know the place simply in terms of the narrative flow (so a keyword search is useless, and chapters are only vaguely helpful) and page back and forth until I find the spot I want to reread. These are the times when I really would like devices to be more responsive. Of course, the speed of eInk is only part of that, since a significant element of the sluggishness of a 505, for example, is down to the very low-powered processor.

As I've pointed out many times already, none of these new display technologies offer any improvement in terms of resolution. They're all newsprint-quality, which is adequate for text, but laughable if you actually want to rival print for displaying images.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #38
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
It's largely a reaction to the clueless geek sites that constantly whine about how convergence is the second coming and single-use devices are all doomed. Several single-use devices that each perform their function well are better than one multi-use device that does everything in a mediocre fashion.
Be kind to em, Charleski. They're technophiles, and have a low save vs shiny. Like me, you evidently believe in tech-as-a-tool, and I'd agree you're quite right that properly designed single-function devices are often better...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Be kind to em, Charleski. They're technophiles, and have a low save vs shiny. Like me, you evidently believe in tech-as-a-tool, and I'd agree you're quite right that properly designed single-function devices are often better...
Of course, tech is a tool. Even though you can enjoy using it, and there is nothing wrong with making tech products a little more attractive. Disclaimer: I am not an Apple fan, far from it. I love no-compromise convergence. When I buy a phone it must be able to do virtually everything. And a phone can be a no compromise MP3 player, a no compromise e-mail device, and is still useful for occasional browsing, video, TV, and reading. But what good is convergence like a netbook for browsing and reading when it seriously compromises the reading function? On my phone that function is a stop gap, for those times when I have nothing else with me. I will buy a tablet for reading when it is at least every bit as good as my e-ink reader is now for what the e-ink does. Or I may buy it when it is very good for reading those kinds of materials that the e-ink reader is lousy at AND it is good enough to replace my laptop, when the time comes.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liquavista