Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Viliv MIDs as ebook readers

I thought I ought to mention this option for ebook readers ...

I just bought a Viliv S5 mobile internet device. And yes, it makes a good ebook reader.

The Viliv S5 is a small tablet PC -- 5" screen, netbook-like specs (Atom 270 cpu clocked at 1.33GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb hard disk, Windows XP, Wifi/bluetooth/USB), and weighs about 500 grams. Battery life is 6 hours in regular use, up to 8 hours with no wifi and the screen dimmed. The screen resolution is an eye-bleedingly sharp 1024x600 pixels. Build quality is very solid indeed, and it sells for around $599 right now (I bought a grey market import via eBay; Dynamism.com also sells them).

In the hand, it feels like a thicker (inch thick) version of the Nokia web tablets. The big difference is that it's a much beefier hardware spec, higher resolution screen, and a "real" operating system. (I don't like Windows, but while I've got a bootable Ubuntu partition, getting networking and touchscreen drivers up is taking some time. Ah well.)

FBReader and Calibre both run on the S5, and FBReader in 90-degree counterclockwise rotation works well. (It also runs Mobipocket Desktop 6.2.) I gather that eReader also runs happily. I've got Firefox on it as a web browser, and iTunes for music.

If you're used to using a big PDA such as an iPaq as an ebook reader, think of the Viliv S5 as being similar (albeit slightly chunkier) but running a full desktop OS and with a higher resolution screen. If your main thing is reading ebooks -- it costs about as much as an Iliad, and the battery life is slightly worse, but it's a far more flexible device as long as you're okay with an LED backlit colour screen.

And Viliv are launching a 7" model, the X70, very soon. (Don't confuse this with the S7, which is a laptop with a swiveling/tablet touchscreen.)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've been looking at such devices as long as I knew they existed (which is about a month )

The only thing stopping me from buying one is the price. $599 is way too pricy for my taste, the rest I rather like...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
The price is indeed a little steep -- on the other hand, it's comparable to other MIDs such as the Nokia web tablets (at introduction price), or a netbook, which is basically what these gadgets are. They're the second generation of the ill-fated Origami/UMPC concept, which lost out to the Netbook on both price and usability; they're back now, with better usability and at half the original (steep) cost.

If you just want an ebook reader, this device isn't for you. On the other hand, if you want a PC that fits in your pocket (unlike a 9" or 10" netbook) and doubles as a decent movie/music player, it's another matter.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post
The price is indeed a little steep -- on the other hand, it's comparable to other MIDs such as the Nokia web tablets (at introduction price), or a netbook, which is basically what these gadgets are. They're the second generation of the ill-fated Origami/UMPC concept, which lost out to the Netbook on both price and usability; they're back now, with better usability and at half the original (steep) cost.

If you just want an ebook reader, this device isn't for you. On the other hand, if you want a PC that fits in your pocket (unlike a 9" or 10" netbook) and doubles as a decent movie/music player, it's another matter.
Oh, I love the idea of those devices! But, if I were to buy one, the most important feature it must have (if it's an LCD screen!) is a transflective screen. As I can't find anywhere it has one, I presume it hasn't...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
brycej
brycej began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Viliv X70

I just placed an order for the Viliv X70. I currently have a Sony PRS-505 which I love, but I wanted a small portable computer that could be used for reading as well as watching movies and a little Internet surfing. I think this device will fit the bill.
brycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Placed an order here, too. I doubt I'll use it much for ebooks, but it should be great for reading comics.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej View Post
I just placed an order for the Viliv X70. I currently have a Sony PRS-505 which I love, but I wanted a small portable computer that could be used for reading as well as watching movies and a little Internet surfing. I think this device will fit the bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Placed an order here, too. I doubt I'll use it much for ebooks, but it should be great for reading comics.
Y'all please keep us updated! I've been looking at similar devices for a while. I liked the Smart Q7 for the price, but there have been a lot of issues with it, and it seems to be poorly built. I'm drooling over this Viliv X70, but it is pricey. Will look forward to your reviews!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
*Bump*

Any news/reviews on the X70 or the S7?. I'm seriously considering buying the S7 mainly for ereading with the occasionally sofa/bed browsing, any recommendations?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
James Kendrick on JKOnTheRun has done some nice reviews of the Viliv S5 and S7.

He always comments on eBook reading as He uses the eReader and now the Kindle Apps, so is quiet thorough on how well it works.

Back to the original question, I'll love to get one of these, not so much for Reading books, as for having a pocket sized portable PC as a companion device.

While I like my N800, I'm quiet aware of how much of a pain it can be at times to get something working especially if you don't have a Linux or Unix Background.

Having windows means that while you may run into issues, finding a solution is comparatively easy.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
*Bump*

Any news/reviews on the X70 or the S7?. I'm seriously considering buying the S7 mainly for ereading with the occasionally sofa/bed browsing, any recommendations?
I have the Viliv X70 and it is a great device for sofa/bed browsing or playing videos, but is a bit too heavy for holding in your hands for multiple hours (approx 700gms, with the cover).

Also, the unit gets quite warm after a while ... even with the cover on. I have heard (but never tried) that the back of the unit can't be touched with bare hands unless you have the cover after about an hour of use.

Battery life is pretty good, and it uses Windows XP Home ... so you have lots of choices for e-reader apps.

I use the X70 for browsing or playing videos, but when I am reading at bed, the best device I have found so far is the JoinTech JE100. Perfect weight, built in backlight, that can be turned down a lot and Mobipocket works great. I wish there was a good epub reader for WinCE though !

I am not good at reviews (or writing for that matter ) but if you have any questions on the X70, I will try my best to answer in detail !
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Valio
Valio began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story
hi, rana, what was the price for your X70 ?
Valio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
I got it at Dynamism at the pre-order promotion and got the Ex model. I believe the price at that point was $729 or so. It may have come down now.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Simon - VILIV
Simon - VILIV began at the beginning.

Device: ViliV X70EX
Exclamation CAUTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valio View Post
hi, rana, what was the price for your X70 ?
Please be aware that the warranty is only applicable in the country of purchase!

Think4IT have been granted UK / Pan European distribution rights.

I will be happy to help any one with any questions relating to the ViliV product range - sthomas@think4.com

Many thanks,

Simon.
Simon - VILIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon - VILIV View Post

Please be aware that the warranty is only applicable in the country of purchase!

Think4IT have been granted UK / Pan European distribution rights.

I will be happy to help any one with any questions relating to the ViliV product range - sthomas@think4.com

Many thanks,

Simon.
Any website? Google didn't show anything.
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I also had my eye on the X70 but it is just too thick for me, still looking.
Also had my eye on the Archos 9, no SDHC card reader, still looking.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote