Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #31
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Actually, dpierron, cbarnett, regardless of my wishes, the code to decrypt LIT files is unavailable. Even in the open source domain. Basically, there are three different types out there. The first is very similar in protection to the second and both can be decrypted with the open source program convert lit, which I am unassociated with.
The third format, those you buy from the online bookstores and which require an activated reader, can be decrypted with the same program. But. I pretty much imagine you senseless people never tried doing so on anything -but- windows, did you?
Decrypting these kind of files needs to be done on the same computer as your activated reader...because it refers to some DLL's from microsoft. CovertLit uses those itself to decrypt them. These DLL's are also unsurprisingly enough not available on other platforms...

(Speculation, just thought up
Though maybe the pocketpc has them too...it has a reader after all...Hrm...
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #32
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
, yes, it is an M$ platform, after all, and can decrypt DRM'd M$reader books, so it might be possible after. I haven't ever looked at the code for convertlit, so I wasn't sure about what it actually did to decrypt, either. If you could use it though, I doubt there'd be any issues if you're not making any money out of it...
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #33
Jaapjan
Avid reader

I am not using any sort of code from ConvertLIT. I only see what it does and how and rebuild that. I have rebuild quite a bit of it in fact. I only need decompression. For that, I am first reading a book describing various techniques. After all, it is a fun project for me.

Compression is a very interesting topic. Many methods.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #34
Unregistered
Nameless Being

lit decryption

I believe the last release of convertlit actually contained decryption code. However, you need the private part of the public/private key for the user, which is extracted by a closed-source app.
The encryption is standard RSA. If Microsoft had been more open (yeah... riiight), any publisher could have produced encrypted LIT titles without compromising security.
Instead, LIT files are sent using an ActiveX component which provides the public key encrypted with some other system that only Microsoft software (Digital Asset Server) can decrypt -- but you can use the activex control to harvest the activated email address, which is "protected" by a ROT13 equivalent substitution, assuming you - get people to visit your web site, with IE, and Reader installed and allowing safe-for-scripting ActiveX controls.

At one point, I was thinking that it'd be neat to offer an alternative to microsoft's server-side component for the ebook sites that didn't want to give overdrive a large cut.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #35
StuBear
StuBear began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus SL-C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
Actually, dpierron, cbarnett, regardless of my wishes, the code to decrypt LIT files is unavailable. Even in the open source domain. Basically, there are three different types out there. The first is very similar in protection to the second and both can be decrypted with the open source program convert lit, which I am unassociated with.
The third format, those you buy from the online bookstores and which require an activated reader, can be decrypted with the same program. But. I pretty much imagine you senseless people never tried doing so on anything -but- windows, did you?
Yes, I convert all my lit files on linux - both X86 and arm (sharp zaurus) using converlit 1.8

Quote:
Decrypting these kind of files needs to be done on the same computer as your activated reader...because it refers to some DLL's from microsoft. CovertLit uses those itself to decrypt them. These DLL's are also unsurprisingly enough not available on other platforms...

(Speculation, just thought up
Though maybe the pocketpc has them too...it has a reader after all...Hrm...
Sorry, but you are wrong.

Aint got any dlls on my zaurus and it happily converts DRM5 to DRM1 format or unpacking DRM5 to OEBPS format. All I need is the keys.txt file made from the windows version on the machine that MS reader is activated on.

Stu
StuBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #36
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Excellent. I am pleased to hear it. At any rate, I haven't in particular worked on DRM5 at the moment. I just returned from a vacation but I'll have a look when I am back into the regular flow of things. Just drove several hundered miles so....not now.