Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would Amazon shift to KFX when they would not even drop Mobi?
Some benefits to Amazon of having more new e-book releases be KFX-only are increased lock in to their platform and more consistency in how those books render across apps and devices, reducing support problems.

Quote:
What's going to happen to al of those older Kindles out there that will never support KFX?
Books currently available in the older Kindle formats will continue to be offered as they are now for many years to come. Owners of older devices can either read older books, sideload books they convert themselves, or upgrade to a newer model Kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Some benefits to Amazon of having more new e-book releases be KFX-only are increased lock in to their platform and more consistency in how those books render across apps and devices, reducing support problems.
Amazon is trying to make the lock-in all that much stronger.

But this means less sales. If we cannot get a KF8 copy, then the eBook is not going to be purchased by those that remove the DRM. The ePub version will be purchased or the eBook won't be purchased if there is no ePub version.

Quote:
Books currently available in the older Kindle formats will continue to be offered as they are now for many years to come. Owners of older devices can either read older books, sideload books they convert themselves, or upgrade to a newer model Kindle.
Amazon should have dumped Mobi years ago. Then the only support issue they would have had would have been with KF8. Then with KFX, there would be even less active devices that don't or can't support KFX.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2021, 02:41 AM   #18
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Amazon is trying to make the lock-in all that much stronger.

But this means less sales. If we cannot get a KF8 copy, then the eBook is not going to be purchased by those that remove the DRM. The ePub version will be purchased or the eBook won't be purchased if there is no ePub version.

Amazon should have dumped Mobi years ago. Then the only support issue they would have had would have been with KF8. Then with KFX, there would be even less active devices that don't or can't support KFX.
Yes, but most people just buy the book and read it on their Kindle or phone or tablet. They know nothing about DRM and they don't care. Forum members are nowhere near similar to the average ebook user. So I don't think these Amazon behaviors will make them sell less ebooks.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Yes, but most people just buy the book and read it on their Kindle or phone or tablet. They know nothing about DRM and they don't care. Forum members are nowhere near similar to the average ebook user. So I don't think these Amazon behaviors will make them sell less ebooks.
What about those who use a DX/DXG, K3/KK, K4, KNT, PW1, PW2 and older Kindles will not read any of these KFX only eBooks. I thought Amazon was all about keeping Mobi & KF8 for older Kindles? I know I'd be pissed if I have a Kindle that does not support KFX and I found an eBook only available at Amazon that I cannot read because Amazon is shifting to KFX.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon knows which kindle or app a person has. They use the epub2 or docx or other source to build all the formats needed.

There will only be KFX deliveries for models + FW level and app versions that support it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon knows which kindle or app a person has. They use the epub2 or docx or other source to build all the formats needed.

There will only be KFX deliveries for models + FW level and app versions that support it.
Sorry, but that's wrong. I tried downloading a Kindle eBook from Unlimited with Kindle 1.17 and the error message says that I needed the latest Kindle. It seems that eBooks that do not have any other version other then the eBook are being delivered in KFX only.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, but that's wrong. I tried downloading a Kindle eBook from Unlimited with Kindle 1.17 and the error message says that I needed the latest Kindle.
But that's an app. They can absolutely insist on you updating an App. So I never select an app as a target.

I should have left out "App" in my post.

The SAME book will download via PC for USB transfer in a different format for a suitable physical Kindle, unless it's the sort of book that doesn't work on ANY real eink Kindle (stupidly sold as Kindle ebooks, but they need and App or the Fire which is really Android + App).
Old 04-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But that's an app. They can absolutely insist on you updating an App. So I never select an app as a target.

I should have left out "App" in my post.

The SAME book will download via PC for USB transfer in a different format for a suitable physical Kindle, unless it's the sort of book that doesn't work on ANY real eink Kindle (stupidly sold as Kindle ebooks, but they need and App or the Fire which is really Android + App).
I've access to a K4. I just have to hope it can be charged as it's been sitting drained for some time. If it can be charged, I'll be able to test if we can still download KF8 for these that don't allow KF8 USB downloads.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I've access to a K4. I just have to hope it can be charged as it's been sitting drained for some time. If it can be charged, I'll be able to test if we can still download KF8 for these that don't allow KF8 USB downloads.
It won't work for these new books.

Here is an example of a book published for the Indian market with the new restrictions that is also available to read for free to those with Kindle Unlimited: Chaturanga by Anand Neelakantan

That is a book in English with no apparent content that would make it incompatible with older Kindle formats. The restriction to KFX-only appears to be a decision made by the publisher, Westland, which is an Amazon imprint.

Amazon's Content & Devices page shows that the book can only be delivered to my registered apps and devices that support KFX with the latest DRM. It cannot be sent to a Kindle 3 Keyboard or Kindle 2 device. Trying to download it from the Kindle 3 pops up an error dialog: "Unavailable for Download. The item is not compatible with this device."
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Here is an example of a book published for the Indian market with the new restrictions that is also available to read for free to those with Kindle Unlimited: Chaturanga by Anand Neelakantan

That is a book in English with no apparent content that would make it incompatible with older Kindle formats. The restriction to KFX-only appears to be a decision made by the publisher, Westland, which is an Amazon imprint.

Amazon's Content & Devices page shows that the book can only be delivered to my registered apps and devices that support KFX with the latest DRM. It cannot be sent to a Kindle 3 Keyboard or Kindle 2 device. Trying to download it from the Kindle 3 pops up an error dialog: "Unavailable for Download. The item is not compatible with this device."
If this Kindle actually boots up, I'll give it a go and see what happens. I don't know if the battery is shot or not. The orange light is on, but it's taking a rather long time to start up. It's been over an hour since it was put on charge. This is one reason I dislike Kindles. If they had the ability to be turned off, this one would have been turned off and it would be working now.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:

Very nasty.

Time DRM was made illegal!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was able to get the Kindle Touch to work. I was able to download a sample to it that I was unable to download with a web browser.

I've not yet tried with the Kindle Unlimited eBook.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
And Enhanced Typesetting comes from epub2 uploads. KF8 could easily do the KFX so called Enhanced Typesetting. KFX is really about DRM and Amazon are wrongfully adding DRM when then deliver KFX and the Publisher has asked for no DRM.

DRM is an illusion that makes most money for people creating and selling DRM. Apple abandoned it on mp3 music.
For clarity, I want to add that we absolutely also get ET from MOBI uploads. Granted, MOBI is DOA come 6/28, but it's not limited to ePUB2.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
For clarity, I want to add that we absolutely also get ET from MOBI uploads. Granted, MOBI is DOA come 6/28, but it's not limited to ePUB2.
The point is that I think it's a marketing decision to highlight Enhanced Typesetting on the pages and not upgrade any non-KFX firmware to render it. It's a RENDERING feature, not one tied to the download format being KFX, which adds DRM even when publisher has requested FREE of DRM.

They'd be better adding epub to downloads and to their readers. Their monopoly building is nauseating and that's what KFX is about.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
The point is that I think it's a marketing decision to highlight Enhanced Typesetting on the pages and not upgrade any non-KFX firmware to render it. It's a RENDERING feature, not one tied to the download format being KFX, which adds DRM even when publisher has requested FREE of DRM.

They'd be better adding epub to downloads and to their readers. Their monopoly building is nauseating and that's what KFX is about.
Well, I can't kvetch about their marketing--it would be hypocritical, given I earn my daily bread therefrom--but yes, adding ePUB would be nice.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote