Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #1
BadLuckMax
BadLuckMax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 4
adding margin-top for each page on kindle ebook

Hello everyone here.

I carelessly broken my kindle paperwhite 3 and now the top part of my screen (approximate 20% of the entire screen) doesn't work.

I wonder that is there a way by using CSS to make each page of a MOBI ebook display a lillte bit downwards ? so that I can continue using my KPW3.

Thanks first here!
BadLuckMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You say you have broken the screen on a PW3. Given that you list a PW4 as your device, I suggest forgoing the PW3 and using the PW4.

If the PW4 is a typo, buy another Kindle as trying to use it is not going to work all that well. You can give Amazon a call to find out if they may do anything for you like a discount on a new Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Once the screen substrate is broken the damage sometimes spreads and so your device may become less functional over time. I agree with JSWolf that replacing it is going to be your best option.

That said you may be able to get some use out of it by altering your content, but I don't know of any way to set a top screen margin. (That is not what margin-top in HTML does.) You should be able to get it to work by converting each book to PDF format with screen-sized pages having a large top margin, but functionality will be reduced. For example, you will not be able to adjust the font size.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #4
BadLuckMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You say you have broken the screen on a PW3. Given that you list a PW4 as your device, I suggest forgoing the PW3 and using the PW4.

If the PW4 is a typo, buy another Kindle as trying to use it is not going to work all that well. You can give Amazon a call to find out if they may do anything for you like a discount on a new Kindle.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I'll take it.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
BadLuckMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Once the screen substrate is broken the damage sometimes spreads and so your device may become less functional over time. I agree with JSWolf that replacing it is going to be your best option.

That said you may be able to get some use out of it by altering your content, but I don't know of any way to set a top screen margin. (That is not what margin-top in HTML does.) You should be able to get it to work by converting each book to PDF format with screen-sized pages having a large top margin, but functionality will be reduced. For example, you will not be able to adjust the font size.
I don't know that "the damage sometimes spreads and so the device may become less functional over time".

If I knew this before, I would give it up without any hesitation.

Thank you very much.
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Gosh, you can get a Fire tablet for as little as $49, last time I looked. IMHO it's the better reader if you can live with the shorter battery life.

Plus you can answer your email between chapters! This is 2021! We can double-task!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote