Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
iOS 13 Software Update is now available

The iOS 13 Software Update is now available for download and installation. I'm currently downloading it to my iPhone XR as of 12:10 CDT. I'll let you know how fast it goes.

Download and Preparation
  • Began Download: 12:10 CDT approximately
  • Download Finished: 12:27 CDT

Verification and Installation
  • Began Installation: 12:27 CDT
  • Installation Finished: 12:35 CDT

Update Completed

Not bad, only about 25 minutes to do the update. That might increase as more people figure out the update is available and start downloading it.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple is now planning to release iOS 13.1 and iPadOS on September 24, according to MacRumors.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I don't like how they make you fish for app updates now. No Updates item at bottom of screen. Now you have to press on your photo at top, then scroll down the window that displays. It never makes sense to add steps to a function.

Dark mode looks good so far. But I haven't had time to test much, plus it isn't night time so that is when it should have the most benefits to me. I always hated a bright background on a screen when trying to view the iPhone at night or in any dark location.

They are in your face with Apple Pay. No surprise there. I had to tell it to buzz off twice: once during the finish of installation, and then again when I went into Settings the first time. No big deal, but annoying none the less.

Now to find where they moved and hid stuff...they always do that...

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Dark Mode

In some apps it looks okay, like in the Today View. But in some apps like Notes the text is too white and the background too dark and this causes the mini-blinds effect with my eyes. Hopefully they will adjust that.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I don't like how they make you fish for app updates now. No Updates item at bottom of screen. Now you have to press on your photo at top, then scroll down the window that displays. It never makes sense to add steps to a function.

Dark mode looks good so far. But I haven't had time to test much, plus it isn't night time so that is when it should have the most benefits to me. I always hated a bright background on a screen when trying to view the iPhone at night or in any dark location.

They are in your face with Apple Pay. No surprise there. I had to tell it to buzz off twice: once during the finish of installation, and then again when I went into Settings the first time. No big deal, but annoying none the less.

Now to find where they moved and hid stuff...they always do that...
It is same number of taps to update apps: one tap on the account icon (instead of Updates icon) and one on Update All (as before). What is better about it is that you can uninstall apps that would otherwise update on the list of apps to update. I like the new location, I can monitor subscriptions and apps in one place.

Of course it moved to make room for Arcade.

I use Dark Mode all of the time, and would not want it switching all the time depending on time of day. I wish Safari would darkify web pages (like Firefox will) but over time responsive web pages should detect when Dark Mode is enabled and auto switch to a dark theme. News app, same thing: starts out dark while browsing articles, but then nothing is different in the article itself. I guess this is where Night Shift comes in.

I see Amazon has not fixed Amazon Music app. It has been unusable on all of the betas and still crashes on launch or shortly thereafter. And there was an update just this morning.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-19-2019 at 04:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is same number of taps to update apps: one tap on the account icon (instead of Updates icon) and one on Update All (as before). What is better about it is that you can uninstall apps that would otherwise update on the list of apps to update. I like the new location, I can monitor subscriptions and apps in one place.

Of course it moved to make room for Arcade.

I use Dark Mode all of the time, and would not want it switching all the time depending on time of day. I wish Safari would darkify web pages (like Firefox will) but over time responsive web pages should detect when Dark Mode is enabled and auto switch to a dark theme. News app, same thing: starts out dark while browsing articles, but then nothing is different in the article itself. I guess this is where Night Shift comes in.

I see Amazon has not fixed Amazon Music app. It has been unusable on all of the betas and still crashes on launch or shortly thereafter. And there was an update just this morning.
Making room for Arcade is understandable, but I would prefer it was still Updates as I will never use the Arcade. I never got into gaming, even though I was a young guy during the heyday of Atari and others in the early 1980s. It was never my cup of tea, but I totally understand others being into it. It would be nice if we could have a few choices as to which items appear in the Apps app, but I’m not holding my breath for that.

Is Dark Mode supposed to auto change based on time of day? I didn’t notice that as an option. I ran it for a while but like Light Mode better during the daytime so I have it turned off at the moment. It is easily/quickly toggled by tapping the screen brightness icon, so that is good.

Setting the screen brightness is still wonky though as it still places a partially opaque layer across the screen so you have to guess which level setting will work best. Not sure why they won’t just superimpose the screen brightness slider over the actual app screen, but Apple has some screwy design ideas for sure.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Encountering a strange Email app thing. Twice now I’ve been given the sound notification for an incoming email. Both times the Today Screen banner shows the email and its contents. However, when I open the Email app the email is not showing up in my inbox. Both times I had to manually download the email using multiple downward strokes before it arrived in my inbox. Kind of strange. Both emails were from senders in my VIP list.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Is Dark Mode supposed to auto change based on time of day?
Yes, there’s an Automatic toggle (default is off), which when on, ties it to time of day/night.

Quote:
Setting the screen brightness is still wonky though as it still places a partially opaque layer across the screen so you have to guess which level setting will work best. Not sure why they won’t just superimpose the screen brightness slider over the actual app screen, but Apple has some screwy design ideas for sure.
Yes, I think that’s a good idea, maybe at least if you long-press the brightness control (which also lets you toggle dark mode, night shift and True Tone) then it could get rid of the blur so you can ‘preview’ with some of the running app UI directly (and make the slider there much smaller!).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-19-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
mspalacios
mspalacios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, iPhone Xs Max, iPad Mini 4
This update killed the ability to sideload books onto Kobo Books! The share sheet no longer has the option to Copy to Kobo Books application (Kindle and Apple Books still is there). Contacted their support and they confirm their app needs updating to accommodate the new share scheme. They recommended iTunes or waiting
mspalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

It is not unusual for a new iOS version to cause some issues with some existing 3rd party apps. It is up to the owners of the 3rd party apps to update them to work with the newest iOS update. Some of those apps will get updated quickly while some might never get updated. I’m surprised Kobo didn’t have an update ready for today’s iOS 13 release. I’ve already had several apps update since the release.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'm going to wait until the 13.1 update is released before updating my 7+. I see no reason to run two updates in a weeks time.

Not sure when I'll update my iPad Pro.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Memoji are still grossly too young looking for anyone over 40. I’m 61 and although I can set skin tone, eye color, hair color, hair style, facial hair style, etc. to be fairly close, my memoji still looks like a twenty-something with grey hair. They should really add skin adjustments that realistically show older adults like they truly are, wrinkles and all. So I still don’t have a memoji that accurately represents a Baby Boomer. Totally useless for anyone over 40. I guess Apple is embarrassed by old farts with memojis, even though their leader is nearly as old as me!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Update is still not showing up on my mini...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Update is still not showing up on my mini...
13.1 is not out yet, 13 is just for the iPhones.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
13.1 is not out yet, 13 is just for the iPhones.
Oh right, forgot about that. I’m just really impatient for Dark Mode to show up (and the rest of it...).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.