Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #76
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Well, so far this year, I'm keeping up on my goal to read/listen to a short story every day. 13/13 days. I've mostly been focusing on the audiobooks so I can clear that library a little (it's hard to scroll through 700 audiobooks on a tablet to pick something you haven't read yet).

The books are also going well. I'm currently listening to Stalking the Vampire by Mike Resnick. Pretty funny - think Dresden Files meets detective noir, although Felina, his 'sidekick' provides much of the humor. This is the second book in the Fables of Tonight series. While there are a few sexual references, I would certainly recommend it to a 15/16 year old reader. Another plus is that this series was completed at 3 books. There is a book of short stories called Stalking the Zombie, which I bought and converted to epub cuz I can't read paper books.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-14-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #77
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Well, so far this year, I'm keeping up on my goal to read/listen to a short story every day. [snip]
I am not reading one a day, but I am reading one a week. Today was the estimable Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery."
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #78
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
FINALLY got around to recording my books so far this year. I really need to do better at getting these down more promptly. So far, I've already spent my entire budget for the month (but that's really because of a technical book needed for work, so maybe shouldn't count?), and I've managed to read 8 books so far. Not bad, given how busy I've been so far. And while it shows I've bought a lot of books so far this month, most of those were either freebies of things I wanted (Baen Short Stories, for example) or Library books.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
. So far, I've already spent my entire budget for the month (but that's really because of a technical book needed for work, so maybe shouldn't count?)
Shouldn't count!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #80
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree, but I am including it in my annual totals. Just not going to be hard nosed about it for this month's budget.
Advert
Old 01-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #81
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
My first book is still being read. It's Watership Down by Richard Adams, who passed away on Christmas Eve. I'm 56% of the way through it, but I'm not in a race. I am really enjoying the story.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #82
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
My first book is still being read. It's Watership Down by Richard Adams, who passed away on Christmas Eve. I'm 56% of the way through it, but I'm not in a race. I am really enjoying the story.
So long as you're enjoying reading it, there's no need to rush it. The Reading Challenge is most definitely a personal challenge, not any kind of competition.

I'm doing quite well so far - I've only bought three ebooks this month, and my TBR is actually down by six!

[EDIT: RECOUNT! Down by 16! Ten other books I had down as unread I've actually read!]

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-26-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #83
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm very much enjoying my Nonfiction reading challenge for January. In addition to The two Ernie Pyle WW2 books I've read, I also read Her Again, becoming Meryl Streep. The early years of the Actresses life. From Home Coming Queen at her high school in New Jersey to her first Oscar for Krammer Verses Karmmer. Also her witty insights into her college years at Vassar an all girls school when she entered to admitting male students for the first time her junior year, she then went to Dartmouth her senior year as one of it's first female students. Also her years at Yale Trauma School, as she called it.Lol.

I'm going to continue the Non fiction challenge into February as well as other books read. Now I just need to enter them into the challenge thread.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #84
CRussel
(he/him/his)

So, for January, it looks like I'm going to end up somewhere right around my stretch goal of 14 books a month read or listened to. Which is pretty good, actually, considering I have been barely home all month and working hard. Plus one of those books is positively humongous. But that I had to read for work, since I was teaching out of it.

On my secondary target of recording books promptly and completely - I'd give myself a "Gentleman's C" at best. I need to keep staying on top of it. WAY too easy to lose track and not record books read and purchases made until I get to where I've forgotten them.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #85
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been going through my books, adding in the date I finished reading them (since the data is on MobileRead for 2010 onwards, I thought it would be good to have it in calibre as well.)

I've found several instances of books I've noted that I've read on MobileRead, but failed to mark as read in calibre. No doubt there's some the other way around too, but finding those would be much more difficult.

Record keeping is tough, when you're getting through a book every other day or more.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #86
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
It looks like I have blown past my target for the first month of the year with 10 completed audiobooks. I am going to see if this pace will be maintained (probably won't).

Here is a link to my list.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #87
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I'm also way ahead of my plan for one book a month. Other hobbies are suffering a bit due to the extra focus on reading, so we'll see how things settle over the next few months.

I've also read one book that's on my "Things I've started but never completed" list, and am in the middle of another one, so that's a good bonus.

-HM
Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #88
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

One month in, eleven months to go. I hope you're all enjoying reading, and your challenge.

I've been tracking my reading since 2010, and I'm delighted that I've done so. Being able to check back to see how much I liked books from a contemporary record is great.

This month, it's enabled me to decide that I don't really want the next books in a couple of series I was reading. So instead of buying a bundle, I'll just buy the one book I really want, saving money!

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-31-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #89
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I managed 3 books this month. If that keeps up, depending on the length of the books, it would put me at at least 35 books which is pretty good. Although I'd rather 50 but haven't managed that the last couple years. *sigh*
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #90
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I am marginally ahead on all fronts, which is as much as I can expect at the end of one month. It does show I have to keep focused or I'll fall behind on my sub-challenges, which involve longer books.

I wanted to keep an eye on my ratings and I'm slightly above a three-star average. Good enough; I'd like to do better. I abandoned two books, which don't count toward my totals but that also means they don't drag down my ratings. Phew!
Closed Thread