Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Open source alternatives to classic Nook Simple Touch, such as Onyx?

My Nook Simple Touch's battery finally died, after a few years of heavy use. I rooted it, using EBookDroid for reading PDFs and DjVu and the lame built-in B&N reader for EPUBs. Replacement batteries are about as much as buying a used Nook.

Are there any good alternatives to the Nook Simple Touch?

I am looking for one that:
  1. has a smaller screen (such as 6")
  2. supports an SD card (or at least has 32GB+ of internal storage)
  3. is black and white (e-ink technology), perhaps even without a backlight
  4. works well with Calibre
  5. is open source
  6. preferably supports the latest EPUB 3+ standards, and thus can render math with MathML
  7. preferably doesn't need rooting
  8. possibly supports DjVu out-of-the-box

Onyx readers are nice, such as the Onyx BOOX Classic; however, that one is discontinued. Where could I buy a similar one that meets most of my above requirement in the U.S.?

Last edited by Geremia; 01-08-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Your only options I know of are the Onyx or the Boyue (marketed under several names). You cannot but them off the shelf, but I believe you can order them from 3rd party sellers on Amazon.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Your only options I know of are the Onyx or the Boyue (marketed under several names). You cannot but them off the shelf, but I believe you can order them from 3rd party sellers on Amazon.
Thanks to the informative MobileRead wiki, I decided on a Onyx Boox C67ML, purchased with Bitcoin via Purse.io, shipping from Amazon. I hope that was a good choice.
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Try installing a deep-sleep battery-saver app on your Nook ST. The battery might be okay. And you should always let it go to sleep by itself (don't press home to make it sleep).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub 3, mathml, onyx, open source