Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-01-2015, 03:25 AM   #76
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
This month's Samsung Book Deals are out! For more info on how this all works, check out Amazon's info page. Here's this month's selections:

The Drowning Guard: A Novel of the Ottoman Empire by Linda Lafferty (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Historical Fiction, Romance, Historical Romance]
Quote:
2014 winner Colorado Book Award - Historical Fiction

Each morning in the hour before dawn, a silent boat launches on the Bosphorous, moving swiftly into the deepest part of the waters halfway between Europe and Asia, where a man will die…

The Drowning Guard is the tale of the Ottoman princess, Esma Sultan—one of the most powerful women in Ottoman history and unlike any other woman in the Islamic world. In a gender reversal of Scheherazade in 1001 Arabian Nights, Esma seduces a different Christian lover each night, only to have him drowned in the morning. The Sultaness's true passion burns only for the Christian-born soldier charged with carrying out the brutal nightly death sentence: her drowning guard, Ivan Postivich.

The Drowning Guard explores the riddle of Esma—who is at once a murderer and a champion and liberator of women—and the man who loves her in spite of her horrifying crimes. This textured historical novel, set in the opulence and squalor of Istanbul in 1826, is woven with the complexity and consequences of love.

Bad Blood by Casey Kelleher (Regular Price: $4.99) [Genres: Thriller, Crime]
Quote:
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

In the underbelly of Soho’s organised crime ring, everyone knows that retired boxer Harry Woods is not one to mess with. And that goes double for his family.

Harry has it all: the big house, the flashy cars, and an abundance of wealth. As much as money talks in his world, Harry knows deep down the only thing that really counts is family. Haunted by the sudden death of his wife, he’ll do anything to protect his children, but truth is a heavy burden and hidden secrets can unravel even the strongest of bonds...

Without loyalty, family are bound together only by blood. Bad blood.

Once Bitten by Stephen Leather (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Paranormal (Vampires), Horror, Fantasy]
Quote:
There’s a full moon over Los Angeles, and for police psychologist Jamie Beaverbook that can only mean one thing: the crazies will be out in force. But when he is called into the station for a consult in the middle of the night, even the jaded Beaverbrook can’t believe his ears. The innocent-looking girl in the interview room doesn’t look a day over fifteen, yet the cops say Terry Ferriman was discovered in an alley off of Sunset Boulevard, her mouth smeared with blood as she crouched over the body of a man whose throat was torn out. A basic psych evaluation convinces Beaverbrook of Terry’s sanity and yet he can’t ignore the evidence that seems to point in one extraordinary direction. He tells himself he doesn’t believe in vampires, but after some digging, the good doctor begins to realize that the shadows of L.A. conceal a world where girls like Terry never age and where blood is more valuable than gold. Sharp, witty, and deliciously sinister, Once Bitten is a satisfying paranormal thriller from bestselling British author Stephen Leather.

Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell Book 1) by Anne Stuart (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Historical Romance, Romance, Historical Fiction]
Quote:
Anguished by death. Driven by revenge.

Bryony Russell and her two sisters are left destitute by the disgrace and unexpected death of their father, a wealthy shipping magnate. He left a cryptic note, and Bryony is determined to find the real villain and clear her father’s name. In disguise as a servant, Bryony infiltrates the home of her father’s business partner to find proof of his guilt…or innocence. It’s not just clues that Bryony finds, but temptation too…

Adrian Bruton, Earl of Kilmartyn, immediately suspects there is something not quite right about his new housekeeper. The brooding, irresistible rake plays along because he has his own guilty secrets, and his venal, scheming wife holds the key to them, trapping him in a hate-filled marriage. But against his will he’s fascinated by Bryony, seeing past the scars on her face to show her the beauty she never knew she had. Bryony must uncover the truth and attempt to preserve her father’s legacy, before things go too far and she falls in love with a man who might very well be her worst enemy.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #77
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Hrm... I will have to ponder this set.

For about five days.

Before I reject them all.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #78
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
None of these titles felt compelling for me. I finally went with The Drowning Guard: A Novel of the Ottoman Empire.

BTW, thanks Manabi for posting the list!

Last edited by geekaren; 08-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 AM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Last day to claim your free book for August.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #80
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
They're out! Here are the September 2015 Samsung Book Deals (aka Kindle for Samsung) freebie selections, in the order in which Amazon presented them. I researched them a bit, to identify each book's series (if any) and genre(s).

Click on Samsung Book Deals to learn how this program works. You may also want to read the earlier, related MR thread: Kindle for Samsung launched in 90 countries

The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker Series Book 1) by C.S. Quinn
  • Normally: $4.99
  • Genre(s): historical fiction, mystery, thriller, crime fiction, horror

Quote:
Overview

The year is 1665. Black Death ravages London. A killer stalks the streets in a plague doctor’s hood and mask...

When a girl is gruesomely murdered, thief taker Charlie Tuesday reluctantly agrees to take on the case. But the horrific remains tell him this is no isolated death. The killer’s mad appetites are part of a master plan that could destroy London – and reveal the dark secrets of Charlie’s own past.

Now the thief taker must find this murderous mastermind before the plague obliterates the evidence street by street. This terrifying pursuit will take Charlie deep into the black underbelly of old London, where alchemy, witchcraft and blood-spells collide.

In a city drowned in darkness, death could be the most powerful magic of all.
Where the Wind Blows (A Prairie Hearts Novel Book 1) by Caroline Fyffe
  • Normally: $3.99
  • Genre(s): historical romance - western and frontier

Quote:
Overview

Where the Wind Blows, book one of USA Today bestselling author Caroline Fyffe’s award-winning, western historical romance Prairie Hearts series

In the free and untamed Wild West, love might blossom in the most unexpected place.…

When the man from the orphanage mistakes Chase Logan for Jessie Strong’s husband, the least Chase can do is help Jessie adopt the child she so desperately wants, the little girl who will be Jessie’s only family in the Wyoming wilderness. Three days are all she asks. Three days pretending to love a woman who is unlike any he has ever known.…

Jessie knows it’s chivalry, plain and simple, that spurs Chase Logan to come to her rescue the day little Sarah arrives at her door. A man like him isn’t made for settling down; he is as wild as the land he roams. She should know better than to let down her guard, to allow herself to long for a family and a life with someone she hardly knows. And yet she dares to hope that maybe, just maybe, Chase Logan is the man destined to make all of her dreams come true.

What Might Have Been by Matt Dunn
  • Genre(s): contemporary romance

Quote:
Overview

A year ago, Evan and Sarah shared one incredible night. Then Evan's music—the thing that brought them together—suddenly tore them apart.

Since then, Evan's not been able to forget about her. And try as she might, Sarah can't seem to get over him either.

With time running out, Evan's got one last chance to convince her that the two of them were meant to be. But is one night enough for Sarah to make a decision about the rest of her life— even if it was the best night of her life? And if she doesn't believe in love at first sight, how can Evan persuade her that what they had will last?

From the bestselling author of A Day at the Office, What Might Have Been is Matt Dunn's new romantic comedy about two people in love. Though one of them needs a little convincing...

Disenchanted (Land of Dis) by Robert Kroese
  • Genre(s): fantasy, magic, humor, adventure

Quote:
Overview

King Boric the Implacable knows death comes to all great warriors. He just didn’t expect it to be so damn fickle.

Felled by an assassin’s blade, he should be spending eternity carousing in the Hall of Avandoor. Instead, his spirit is bound to his decaying body by the enchanted sword of Brakslaagt. And unless he can hunt down the mysterious Lord Brand, who gave him the weapon so long ago, he is cursed to wander the earth forever as an undead wraith.

So begins Boric’s extraordinary journey across the Six Kingdoms of Dis as a walking corpse who wants nothing more than to be disenchanted and left in peace. His is not an easy quest: along the way he is burned, riddled with arrows, and nearly blown to bits. But when he finally comes face-to-face with Lord Brand, Boric will discover that nothing - in life, in death, or in between - is exactly what it seems.

Last edited by Froide; 12-01-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #81
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dang... I somehow can't get the discount now... just spent $3 on a book that I wanted to get for free.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #82
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Dang... I somehow can't get the discount now... just spent $3 on a book that I wanted to get for free.
Maybe the Samsung thing expires a certain time period after you bought your device/finally installed the app to it? It was still free for me this month.

I went with Disenchanted as it sounds pretty funny.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #83
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Maybe the Samsung thing expires a certain time period after you bought your device/finally installed the app to it? It was still free for me this month.

The deal's available all month. This issue is: one must have the Kindle for Samsung app (not the regular Kindle for Android app) in order to get the deal.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #84
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Yeah; for some reason I didn't have Kindle for Samsung on my phone anymore... either I "upgraded" or deleted the app.

I got Amazon to refund me and then selected Dis from the newly reinstalled app.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #85
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post

I've quite enjoyed Kroese's "Mercury" series, even though it's not really my normal thing. Without being a spoiler (since it's in the blurb) - "Mercury" is a series where a reporter who reports on fake "End Times" cults runs into an angel who actually knows about the real "End Times"...the premise is pretty amusing, and I think the books live up to the premise.

So, Disenchanted is probably worth taking a chance on, especially since I already own Thief Taker, which is the other one that looks sort of interesting.

Last edited by sufue; 09-05-2015 at 06:59 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:07 AM   #86
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Last day to pick up whichever one you want, if you haven't already.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:22 AM   #87
Manabi
Wizard

This month's Samsung Book Deals are out! For more info on how this all works, check out Amazon's info page. Here's this month's selections:

Emma's Secret: A Novel by Steena Holmes (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Fiction, Mystery, Contemporary]
Quote:
For two years, Megan, Peter, and their two older daughters, Alexis and Hannah, dream of nothing but being reunited with the family’s youngest child, Emma, who was kidnapped just before her third birthday. When Emma is miraculously found living with an elderly couple just miles from the family’s home, they are hopeful that her return will heal the wounds her disappearance created.

But Emma is vastly different from the sunny toddler they remember. She barely remembers her parents or her older sisters. She is quiet and withdrawn, and, worst of all, longs for the very people who kidnapped her.

Megan is consumed with bitterness, while Peter works later and later nights in the company of his gorgeous business partner. And in the middle of everything, Megan’s best friend has become suddenly distant and secretive.

Then a chance encounter in town leads to a secret that changes everything again for Emma. And Peter must decide between the happiness of his youngest daughter and the trust of his family.

Note: GoodReads says this is book two in the Finding Emma series.

Area 51 (Area 51 Series Book 1) by Bob Mayer (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Science Fiction, Thriller]
Quote:
Book 1 in the Area 51 series

Since before the dawning of modern man, an alien mothership and nine abandoned flying saucers have been hidden away in Area 51, a top-secret military base in the Nevada desert. There, scientists have studied the crafts, hoping to unlock the secrets of the alien technology and, perhaps, the origins of life on Earth. But now a deranged general wants to activate the mothership’s interstellar drive—and the consequences could prove catastrophic for humankind.

Dr. Hans Von Seeckt—an elderly scientist, ex-Nazi, and original member of the Area 51 research team—joins up with the president’s science adviser, Dr. Lisa Duncan, and Special Forces officer Mike Turcotte to put a stop to the planned test flight and tell the public the truth about Area 51. Meanwhile, a brilliant archaeologist, Professor Nabinger, discovers a message on runes found in ancient Egypt that could change everything we think we know about human evolution and the role that alien visitation may have played in it.

Home by Morning (A Powell Springs Novel) by Alexis Harrington (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Romance, Historical Romance]
Quote:
October 1918: En route from New York to Seattle, Jessica Layton stops for a visit in her hometown of Powell Springs, Oregon, and comes face-to-face with Cole Braddock, her first and only love from years ago. Now Jessica is a highly accomplished clinical physician preparing for an exciting new job in Washington, and Cole is a successful horse breeder who is courting her sister Amy. Both are convinced they have moved beyond their youthful passion and the heartbreak it produced; nonetheless, they are grateful that Jessica’s brief visit will leave little opportunity to rehash old wounds. But before Dr. Layton can leave town, Powell Springs is hit hard by the influenza epidemic ravaging the country. With no other doctors available, Jessica must remain in Oregon and tend to her friends and former neighbors. Her work brings her in constant contact with Cole, and with each passing day he finds it harder to convince himself that mild-tempered Amy can fill his heart as Jessica once did. Set against the gritty backdrop of World War I and the epidemic of 1918, Home by Morning is a raw, compelling story of betrayal, heartbreak, and redemption.

The Gauntlet Assassin by L.J. Sellers (Regular Price: $3.99) [Genres: Thriller, Mystery]
Quote:
Just over a decade into our future, America is a stricken country where jobs are scarce, health care is a luxury for the wealthy, and hope rides on the annual Gauntlet games—a punishing physical and mental competition where the victor brings not only pride but an economic windfall back to his or her home state.

In the 2023 games, former police detective turned paramedic Lara Evans represents Oregon. But the contest’s notorious obstacles and cutthroat rivalry may be the least of her challenges. After saving a government bureaucrat’s life—and literally dodging a bullet—she finds herself in the crosshairs of a relentless hit man. And when another Gauntlet contestant is murdered, a stroke of bad luck puts Lara on the wrong end of damning evidence.

Still, the games must go on. And with the country, the law, and a killer watching her every move, Lara must use all her strength and savvy to beat the odds, claim the prize, and win back her life in the most dangerous game of all.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #88
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Thanks for the warning on Emma's Secret. It sounded quite good, but it's actually book 3 since there's a 1.5 in between. If I'm going to take a chance on a series with a freebie it needs to be book 1. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #89
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Thanks for the warning on Emma's Secret. It sounded quite good, but it's actually book 3 since there's a 1.5 in between. If I'm going to take a chance on a series with a freebie it needs to be book 1. :-)
I figured it would be a problem for some people. And I've honestly never seen them do book two in a series as a freebie before, so it's pretty weird.

I got Area 51. It sounds pretty silly, with just about every trope imaginable, but it sounds like it might be fun too. Just as long as I don't try to take it seriously.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #90
Dngrsone
Almost legible

It looks like slim pickin's again this month... With Emma's Secret out of the picture, it's a matter of choice between a romance, a trope-fest, and an apparent Hunger Games knockoff...

If you get to it this month, do let us know how Area 51 goes, Manabi!