Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #46
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I don't think I mentioned Rolex anywhere. Anyway, I only have the generalities, not the particulars and even if I did I wouldn't pass it on.
I'm not sure who, but someone (maybe it was Apache) mentiond Rolex and Movado earlier. I'm not fond of Movado's styling but I wouldn't mind a high quality Rolex knockoff.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The good thing about Rolexes is that the "replicas" are so ubiquitous that even the real ones are always taken to be fakes. Of course, it takes real money to make high quality fakes, so I don't see the point in spending that kind of money on something you don't even get a warranty on (after all, you might still be cheated and the watch contains a number of substandard parts) and can't have repaired at any regular store? And when you travel in some parts you will have to be just as careful as if you were wearing the real thing. A rather strange obsession with brands, I would say.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #48
WritePR
Gadget Girl/Avid Reader
WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nook Color, Kindle Touch
Disappointing that this thread started out as a discussion about a ebook piracy story in the news but was completely and rudely hijacked by people who insist on using it to discuss counterfeit watches. Can the mods get things to stay on topic?
WritePR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #49
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WritePR View Post
Disappointing that this thread started out as a discussion about a ebook piracy story in the news but was completely and rudely hijacked by people who insist on using it to discuss counterfeit watches. Can the mods get things to stay on topic?
You really find this disappointing? Then you must live a life full of disappointment - sad.

This is not a debate with rigid rules, it is a thread in a social group who have an interest in the written word. It is called a thread because, just like a real thread, it can meander in any direction. There is nothing (other than personal compulsion) to keep you reading a thread that disappoints you. Why not do something else with your time, something that is possibly less disappointing to you?
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #50
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
If it does concern you, you can certainly steer the thread topic back on course yourself.

It is the nature of forum threads to veer off course, just like live person to person conversations do.

sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #51
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Disappointing...
Did you anticipate that this particular thread would contribute insights into piracy which the plethora of other threads have left out?

Anyway, if you find forum thread derailments traumatic then I would seriously consider whether internet fora are somewhere you should really spend your time in the first place.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #52
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So the moral of the story is: next time upload an actual retail ebook intead of a scanned version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Isn't that what someone does if they scan and OCR a book and upload it?
It is a 'fake' copy of the eBook, it may well be of lower quality, and damage the value of the trademark, same argument as for fake watches and handbags.
(Different matter for uploading an exact copy of a commercial eBook.)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #53
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a little confused. You complained in the feedback forum that there was a thread specifically debating of piracy thus making it clear that in your opinion, book piracy should not be discussed (kind of like a taboo) and this thread which started discussing a piracy case gets actually steered away from book piracy so shouldn't you be happy that it got steered away ?

Quote:
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #54
WritePR
Gadget Girl/Avid Reader
WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nook Color, Kindle Touch
Wow. I have never seen a ruder forum in my life. Why do so many of you have such a smug and superior attitude and think nothing of attacking? Utterly ridiculous. I won't be posting again. It's obvious this forum is quite hostile to new users.
WritePR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #55
Quexos
Member Retired

I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm really confused. You made it clear you don't want ebook piracy to be discussed but now you are upset that the topic has been veered away.
Please make up your mind, should we or should we not discuss ebook piracy in your opinion ?

As for the other critics of you, I both agree and disagree with them. True that in a spoken conversation, veering away is common but in this forum, I've seen time and again mods asking to stay on topic.

Quote:
Wow. I have never seen a ruder forum in my life. Why do so many of you have such a smug and superior attitude and think nothing of attacking? Utterly ridiculous. I won't be posting again. It's obvious this forum is quite hostile to new users.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #56
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Interesting. I can think of maybe a single forum more polite than this one, but that's it.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #57
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I think you have it backwards. From what I've seen, people on this forum tend to be intelligent and like to debate, yes, but this is one of the politest forums of this size that discuss important issues that I've seen, and in general the people on here have given the nicest welcomes to newcomers that I've seen.

Your recent posts though seem full of anger.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #58
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
They are not <property> rights. They are a limited term, expiring, government granted, monopolies.
Why do you think this means they are not property rights? All property is a government granted monopoly. And a lot of property is something you have for a limited term.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #59
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Where can I get one of these '"good" fakes, which cost several hundred dollars' that is indistinguishable from a $7,000 Rolex except by an expert?
via Paolo Sarpi, 20154 Milan, Italy

About the actual topic:

If the defendant had done the same thing in paper & ink, creating a new "for dummies" book out of Wileys control, I think everybody would have agreed on the fact it's counterfeit.

So, if the ebook in the torrent was made from scratch (retyping or using a scanner) by Mr. Carpenter, I have no doubt in calling it "fake".
But if the uploaded file was the actual Wiley ebook, I really can't see what's counterfeited in it....

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #60
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Your recent posts though seem full of anger.
"Physician, heal thyself" springs to mind...

To suggest that MR is full of rude and agressive people is risible.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote