Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Maybe if Google made it easier to pay for content from the Play Store, more people would be buying stuff. Both Apple and Amazon allow you to purchase apps, etc. using gift cards (although I think Amazon still requires that you have a credit card associated with your account). The freemium model works better when kids are able to buy gift cards on their own (e.g. from Walgreens, Target, Walmart, etc) and not need to ask permission to use mom and dad's credit cards.

With Google, you can only pay via credit card (supposedly, with carrier billing, too but that didn't work for my prepaid Android). While plastic may be prevalent in the US, it's not so much in other countries. What I especially find annoying about the Google Play Store is purchasing content generates all these little $0.99~1.99 charges which always trigger a call from my bank's fraud prevention department.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
How many Android tablets have out-of-the-box access to music stores, video stores, or ebookstores? iPxxx and FIRE do.
The Nook and the Fire are 75% of the Android market in the US. The iPad doesn't have out of the box access to an ebookstore. The 7" Samsung tablet comes preinstalled with Samsung's music and video "hubs."

I don't see much difference between the tablets in this respect.
Quote:

Both platforms are primarily storefronts looking to sell content and consumers buy them to do exactly that.
[/quote]
This may be true of the Fire, which appears to be sold at a low cost with the idea of making additional profit on sales. It is demonstrably not true of the iPad, where content exists to promote sales of the hardware, with iTunes itself making little money.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why do I need these "top quality apps"? I only use apps for information and entertainment.
Agreed. In the six+ months I've had my Tran, I think I've spent less than $3 on apps. I bought a couple of games for 10 cents each during a sale and never really played them...

More than happy with that is out there for free. Especially for my purposes.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote