Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Done. We increased the upload limit to 10MB for the following file extensions: ZIP, RAR, GZ
Excellent! Many thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #47
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I think the idea of hosting converted books is a great idea, especially given the time people put into making them look the best they can, while retaining the proper formatting. Since bandwidth/space isn't an issue and Alex is willing to create a seperate forum, it's a non-issue.

Alternatively, someone can always request the creation of a alt.binaries.e-book.sony newgroup that will attract a much wider audience and no one will be liable for the inevitable copyright infringement issue (as responsible and everyone is, you know it will happen now and again).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #48
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Edit: Sorry for double-post, networking issues abound!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #49
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I was thinking two or three volunteers, regular MobileRead visitors, to assist us in moderating copyright material, should any get uploaded. By keeping an eye on the uploads I don't think we'll run into any issues.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want a volunteer, I'm more than happy to keep an eye on the uploads to this forum. I'm here every day!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #51
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Can you make the uploaded books to appear under a well defined URL path?
That way I could add mobileread to DigitalReading Search's list of ebook sites.
I don't want to add the entire site because that may bring up results that are not direct links to books...

thanks
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #52
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HarryT: Thank you!!! I will add moderating rights asap.

sic: I cannot see a way of doing this right now, but I will think about it!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #53
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I have this idea for a simple and easy website that focuses on non-copywriten material.

It would be a wiki for eReaders that has ebooks on common knowledge. Kinda like a wikipedia for ebook readers.

Problem is BBeB is TOO PROPRIETARY. If it were a more open format something like
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #54
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I raise only one issue, under what copyright convention are the books to be judged?

If I read correctly, the MR site is centered in the EU and would fall outside of the revised USA laws. I have been wrong before.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I would take the purely practical view, personally, that if a book appears in any of the major PD collections (eg PG Australia) then, on a practical level, nobody is going to be fussed about people posting it even if, technically speaking, it violates "local" copyright laws.

Eg, the book you posted - T.E.Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" - is not in the public domain in the US, but is in the EU, which has a "life + 70" copyright term - Lawrence died in 1935, so it entered the public domain in 2005 here.

I seriously doubt that the US copyright authorities are going to be bothered about it, given that anyone can go along to PG Australia and download it.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-02-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #56
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I raise only one issue, under what copyright convention are the books to be judged?

If I read correctly, the MR site is centered in the EU and would fall outside of the revised USA laws. I have been wrong before.
Actually we are located in the US, to provide better ping times to our members (who are still predominantly US). I think common sense is probably the best and and most effective solution. If you have any doubts that an upload might infringe major copyrights, don't upload. Or, if you are unsure, send a quick message to MR staff, or to one of the appointed moderators (Harry + <positions still to be filled>).

I understand we should provide some written guidelines and it's on top of our agenda.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #57
silkpag
Enthusiast
silkpag began at the beginning.

Umm, www.blackmask.com is back... though the site says munseys.com.

They seem to have Sony Reader.
silkpag is offline   Reply With Quote