Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
DRM-free EPUB from Kobo doesn't save in ADE library

I just used a free offer (KOBO 2012 Book Club) to obtain a book. I don't know whether this fact is significant, but it says on the kobobooks.com site that it is DRM-free EPUB. I want to put the EPUB in my ADE library. When I click on the button "DOWNLOAD EPUB", ADE is opened as I would expect and the book shows up in ADE's Reading View. When I switch to the Library View, however, it's not there. Going back to the Reading View, it gives me a book that I was previously reading there.

I had purchased books from Kobobooks.com using this same method before and I don't recall having any problem. They were, however, "Adobe DRM EPUB" format.

Am I missing something? Is there some other steps I can go through to get it into ADE library? I am able to download it through the Kobo Desktop using the "Sync" option, but I really want a portable backup like I do for all the other books I've purchased.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
ADE will only automatically add books to itself that you have downloaded via the ACSM route (ie ADE opening the ACSM file and downloading the ePub).

What you can do is a Library -> Add item to library (or Ctrl+O) and add the book.

Remember though that ADE will NOT copy the book to it's standard location, it will leave it where ever you had downloaded the DRM free ePub to.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Thanks for the information about ADE, Peter. That gives me a better understanding. However, I don't know where the book downloaded to when I chose the "Download EPUB" button. I've searched my computer for the title (Microbe) but there is no hit except for the annot and png files in the ADE library. When I did the sync with Kobo Desktop, I guess it went wherever Kobo Desktop stores it's books. Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It should end up in your default download folder.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not sure where it would go if you told it to open with ADE. Re-Download it from the Kobo site and tell it where you want it to save (if you don't get a where to save option when clicking the download button, right click and save as instead).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Woodstonian
Connoisseur

OK. Got it now. I used the right-click to save-as (per AnemicOak) into the ADE library with the book name. Then I was able to add it to the library in ADE as Peter suggested.

Thanks everyone for you help!! What a great forum!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah... when I downloaded Microbe it came down as a ZIP file smashwords-epub-e0f451d9-a8a8-4c1e-a5ba-e6cf531132b.zip
Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Ah... when I downloaded Microbe it came down as a ZIP file smashwords-epub-e0f451d9-a8a8-4c1e-a5ba-e6cf531132b.zip
If you change the .zip extension to .epub it will work as expected.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I know... I was just pointing out that the file name did not include Micron and that unless you were paying attention you might have a hard time finding it searching your PC.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Woodstonian
Connoisseur

Peter ... yes I found that out too when I did the directed "save as".