Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Print and TV media coverage

Has anyone seen any coverage in their local area about the release of KOBO?

Here in Windsor, there was nada. Neither the CBC nor CTV has covered it as far as I know. Impressive eh! If it was an American product or release they would have headlined it non!
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
GabrielR
GabrielR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
It was in all the major newspapers in Vancouver, considering how buggy it is, maybe its a good thing it wasn't covered...
GabrielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
LOL. Same here, I don't recall seeing many ads on buses and billboards.

Toronto may have had some coverage on CityTV (not sure though) or Pulse24. There's been some word of mouth marketing buzz here though, and Indigo did some good promotions with instore kiosks on the product launch date.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
When I went into the store to pick mine, there was only a bunch of flags about it.
One at the entrance, two over the counters and one in the middle of the big store.
That was it!!!

The eBook readers themselves were tucked away from the people and to get one you had to ask the cashier, she has to call the manager (!) and then you get yours!

I mean.. shouldn't they try harder?
Shouldn't they be put right at the entrance ON the shelves?

Weird
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
When I went into the store to pick mine, there was only a bunch of flags about it.
One at the entrance, two over the counters and one in the middle of the big store.
That was it!!!

The eBook readers themselves were tucked away from the people and to get one you had to ask the cashier, she has to call the manager (!) and then you get yours!

I mean.. shouldn't they try harder?
Shouldn't they be put right at the entrance ON the shelves?

Weird
Yeah. I was quite surprised when I went into the local Chapters here in Waterloo: There was virtually no sign that the Kobo Reader had been released and was available in the store. They had one box open and on display behind the customer service desk.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
I agree. With all the online hype, one would have expected the stores to be promoting them. It was almost as though they were embarassed to put them on the shelves. Its entirely possible though that they were saving them for people who were 'in the know' rather than letting the uneducated masses pick them up like just another magazine. Who knows? Maybe it was brilliant marketing on their part since it appears that most stores are already sold out..or am I giving store managers too much credit?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Well the store here in Kamloops didn't even had the one to play with on show. I had to specifically ask them if they had one to play with.
This was on Friday and luckily they had one.. but still..
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
On the Saturday release date, the Richmond Hill location had a kiosk with four devices to play with in the front of the store near the Magazine section. Had staff on hand to answer questions, also banners in the store.

The position of the Kiosk was in the ideal spot (ie. positioned in the store walkthrough setup -> ie. the high traffic area and the designed walk path that was in that particular location) (Paco Underhill's Why We Buy discusses this -> Get your Kobo version here: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Why-W...0AQ/page1.html )

I wonder if Indigo Corporate let regional divisions choose marketing strategies or if there was a central strategy that was distributed to all regions.

Peace.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
hgreen
hgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The store at Bay/Bloor had a kiosk as well, with six readers to try out. There was also a staff person to answer questions/call the manager to get readers delivered to the till.

Maybe the company is worried about supply, and is rolling the product out slowly? Perhaps once accessories and the black version are available in stores, they'll kick up the promotions.
hgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
The store at Bay/Bloor had a kiosk as well, with six readers to try out. There was also a staff person to answer questions/call the manager to get readers delivered to the till.
And managed to sell me one of the boxes from those display units the first time around
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #11
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Perhaps they're saving their money for the USA market.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
NotchJ
NotchJ began at the beginning.

Global Calgary did a full report on it on all of their Friday evening and Saturday news reports. That's how I found out about it and thanks to that, ended up buying one.
NotchJ is offline   Reply With Quote