Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your favorite eBook reading software?
Plucker 6 7.14%
eReader 20 23.81%
iSilo 9 10.71%
Other 54 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Oh, I know that part, I was wondering if the e-booksellers had any more insight into how EPUB looks in the near future is all.
Once DE is available for Linux, then it'll be a bigger deal. Till then, we just have to wait.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #32
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina Cardway View Post
However, I've got it on good authority that the Sony reader will begin reading Mobipocket format books natively in a few short weeks.
Say whaaa? Is this confirmed somewhere?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #33
ofsahin
ofsahin began at the beginning.

Device: HP IPAQ 6915
i would say

hi all
i would say orneta reader for ppc
because it can show you pdf files without any problem.

bye bye
ofsahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #34
mowog
mowog began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
To date I have only read eBooks in eReader Pro, although I might start reading those I make from Project Gutenberg into iSilo format.

I recently installed PalmFiction, but I've not had much time to try it out.

I have J-OS installed on my Palm TX for full Japanese support. One drawback of this program is that certain character combinations get converted into kanji, especially combinations involving apostrophes. Very annoying, that.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
A vote for Plucker and PalmFiction

Plucker, here, on a Tapwave Zodiac 2, though I also have eReader and MobiPocket for the odd content in those formats. I also have PalmFiction and WeaselReader installed.

Plucker is wonderful if you have content in HTML format, as it supports hyperlinks, embedded images, text attributes, and (on Palm OS5 devices) fonts. There is a lot of HTML formatted content out there. I have a good bit of Project Gutenberg, the entire Baen Free Library SF/Fantasy catalog, and a good bit of Gnu/Linux documentation. All told, a bit over 2,800 books occupying 1.4GB of a 2GB SD card. And Plucker is free and open source.

For non-HTML, I like PalmFiction Also free and open source (and written in a PalmOS version of Pascal, no less.) PalmFiction handles Palm "doc" files, zText files (plain ASCII files compressed with a Palm version of Zlib, for gzip compatible compression), plain ASCII files on an expansion card, and RTF files on a card (which it renders as plain text). The home page is in Russian, and there aren't really any docs for it, but there is an English version of the reader, and getting it configured is not hard.

I don't like proprietary formats and DRM. I want to download content once, and read it on whatever device I happen to have. I don't want to have to maintain multiple readers to handle all of the possible content I might wish to read, and have to remember which content is in which format read by which reader. I hope that some day ebook publishers will agree on a common format. Competing to make their format the default is nonsense. They should be competing on the quality of their lists.

Meanwhile, I sidestep the issue with Plucker. I can't read DRMed content that way, but no matter. There is more in HTML format suitable for conversion to Plucker than I have time to read, not to mention a stack of unread "dead tree" editions large enough to cause injury if it fell on me, so I'm not exactly missing out.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #36
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I like uBook, it reads a lot of formats natively, and supports using subdirectories in my library. I'd love it if it read .lit too so I didn't have to convert those.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #37
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
I vote for:
1) PalmFiction - IMHO, the best reader for (non html) books on Palm.
2) ALReader - IMHO, the best reader for PocketPC.
Lots of functions for both, including good dictionary support and opening of many formats directly from flash card, and they are free.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #38
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I tend to use the free Reader yBook(http://www.spacejock.com/yBook.html) on the PC.
While I've tried out uBook, yBook does most of everything I need, so it remain my reader of choice for Html, txt, rtf, etc.

On my Pocket PC I use an old app called Lister (http://www.crisp.demon.co.uk/pocketpc.html) . I've been using it for years for HTML and Txt files, and being quiet lightweight I can leave it running without it hurting the performance of an old device.

For protected files, I do use MS Reader & Mobipocket, But I tend to prefer to ConvertLIT or DeDrm them and use the unsecured Html files.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #39
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
My favorite is Mobipocket.

For 2 reasons, I like being able to use the full screen for reading and I like being able to put my ebooks under various authors in the reading lists. My ebook library is very organised just wish it would sync with pc version so the reading list would be in alphabetical order.

I did prefer the background of ereader, I like that parchment look, but full screen won out over the background. I wish Mobipocket had better background choices.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #40
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I prefer eReader because its DRM is the least restrictive. Microsoft won't let me register my latest ppcs and Mobipocket has a number limit on devices. Devices don't last that long - if they don't break, there's always a new and better model coming along soon.
I also like the way I can change the background with eReader.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 AM   #41
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another vote for EReader - the DRM is so simple it's almost fun, customisable, the source PML is easy to manage etc etc Also like Mobireader and even MSReader now and again.
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:21 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I prefer eReader because its DRM is the least restrictive. Microsoft won't let me register my latest ppcs and Mobipocket has a number limit on devices. Devices don't last that long - if they don't break, there's always a new and better model coming along soon.
I also like the way I can change the background with eReader.

Laine
Mobi DRM is pretty "painless". The limit is 4 devices at any one time, not 4 devices "ever", so as long as you keep your device list up-to-date, it's fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote