Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-29-2019, 06:17 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
this may be my last idea but if you have not done it already...
whenever an app misbehaves I will go to settings -> apps and force stop, clear cache, and retry
if no joy I will add clear data, so force stop, clear cache, clear data, then retry ( clear data will mean you have to reconfigure all the app settings so if the app has its own backup preferences, maybe do that first - but here were are testing if its the app preferences that are somehow messed up, so maybe not)

it should not be necessary to also power cycle the device but add that to the mix for the ultimate clean

after that its going to be a case of work with developer, use debug mode, send logs etc when instructed

I think you said that you have no 2nd device to test with, but you could optionally open up internet access to your calibre library, share the access credentials with app developer & let them try to reproduce your issue in the app on their own devices
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The wireless device is a "push" connection. You use calibre on the computer to send books to the device, etc. The content server connection is a "pull" connection, where you use the device to get books from calibre.

The FAQ What are the differences between Content Server, Cloud, and Wireless Device connections? goes into a bit more detail.
it was not a great suggestion of mine then, but if your tablet has space you could "push" a big chunk of the library, the chunk where you think the problem zone is, and see if it all transfers ok
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur
HippieWiccan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE
UPDATE: New issue...I added 1 book this morning...it falls before the problem point alphabetically. Now it is stopping 1 book before where it was stopping. So now IDK if this is a book issue, a library issue, or a quantity issue! I have a muck larger library that I do not have this issue with! It just seems to be this one library.

At this point IDK how to get the books into a fresh library w/o transferring whatever this problem is! The last thing I want to do is start from scratch with over 6,000 books!

I did make a temp tag yesterday and add a bunch of books to it to add to the tablet. They transferred fine the download all option.
HippieWiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
this may be my last idea...
I will try all of this next! Thanks!

No joy! I cleared the data and everything and nothing worked! I guess I can try uninstalling the app...IDK

Last edited by HippieWiccan; 07-29-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #20
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

Ok...I did go to the content server on my laptop (http://10.0.0.171:8080/) and it scrolled well past the point CC is stopping. IDK if this means anything or if it's even the same server but it's something.
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard

So I think you are saying that specific library will always stop at the book in position x. A fixed number, whatever that book happens to be.
Is that the case and can you confirming by taking single entries in and out.
And is the book at position X+1 the real culprit?
What is X.
Don't worry about library size. I have seen claims of much bigger libraries than yours working ok.

Re the app. Stop and clear data reverts it to being just like a fresh install but sure, you can Remove it , reboot device , add it back. Every theory you can cross off the suspects
Lists helps narrow things down.

If laptop and cc are both using the same IP address for content server then yes they are seeing the same data. Which points the finger back at cc. Strange. Check that tablet is not running low on ram , or storage

But it stops , always? , At book X in one library , yet can scroll to ≥x in a different library

Last edited by stumped; 07-29-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #22
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
So I think you are saying that specific library will always stop at the book in position x. A fixed number, whatever that book happens to be.
Yes! Whatever I add or subtract it stops in the same point. I thought is was just in the one tag, but the main library sorted by title stops at the same X point.

In title view it stops at book #990
In tag mode it stops at book #120 (this is book #973 in title view)

Last edited by HippieWiccan; 07-29-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #23
stumped
Wizard

how do those numbers compare to the settings Chaley mentions in post #4

( hoping he returns with some ideas as mine are all used up )
Old 07-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #24
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

Ok...so I made the suggested changes and now I get this in the app! I set it back to default in calibre and still getting this error!

I uninstalled the app and am reinstalling it now. I deleted all books off the device. I am going to try a clean start and see what happens.

EDIT: I reinstalled the app and it will connect to calibre now. I did connect to the content server with the tablet's mobile browser and it scrolls well past the point CC stops. So this has to be a CC error, right? IDK...I am so confused!

EDIT 2: I am in the process of moving all of the books tagged under the tag where I originally found the error. I am moving them to their own library to see if this fixes the main library. I will let you know if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-29-10-42-03.png
Views:	132
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	172660  

Last edited by HippieWiccan; 07-29-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieWiccan View Post
Ok...so I made the suggested changes and now I get this in the app! I set it back to default in calibre and still getting this error!

I uninstalled the app and am reinstalling it now. I deleted all books off the device. I am going to try a clean start and see what happens.
I confess to being confused about what you are doing. The above error can happen only during a wireless device connection, not a content server connection. Which one are you doing?
Quote:
EDIT: I reinstalled the app and it will connect to calibre now. I did connect to the content server with the tablet's mobile browser and it scrolls well past the point CC stops. So this has to be a CC error, right? IDK...I am so confused!
Connect using which connection type? And no, that doesn't demonstrate that it is a CC error. CC used the "OPDS" service of the content server, which is totally different from the mobile service.

Lets start at the beginning.
  • Are you connecting using the content server? The rest assumes "yes".
  • You say it stops on book #990 in "title view".
    1. What does "stop" mean? Is it acting like there are no more books, or is it doing something else?
    2. What exactly is "title view"? Is it tapping on "By Title"?
    3. How do you know it is book #990? CC doesn't display a count. Did you actually count them, or are you using desktop calibre to determine the number?
  • What happens if you change the calibre settings to as shown below? Be sure to write down the original values so you can put them back.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	172663
    Be sure to Stop and then Restart the server.
  • What happens if you use "By Newest". Do you see more books, fewer books, or the same number as in "By Title"? "Newest" is sorting by calibre's "Date" column.
  • Set the "Maximum number of ungrouped items" to 10, restart the server, connect CC, then tap "By Tags". Do you see more books after tapping through the first letters?
  • Are you sure you are using the library you think you are using? Connect using the content server, tap the 3-dots menu, then "Change calibre library". Ensure that they library being used is the one you think it should be using.
Finally, although I no longer work on the code I might be able to provide some clarity if you send me a debug log. In CC go to Settings / Other and tap "Send a debug log ...". Change the email address to cc-stuff-t [at] charleshaley [dot] org (make the obvious substitutions). If you don't change the email address then the log will go to Sam.

Enough for now ...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #26
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

I accidentally hit Wireless Device and it threw the error.

Are you connecting using the content server? YES

You say it stops on book #990 in "title view".
What does "stop" mean? Is it acting like there are no more books, or is it doing something else? It is acting like there are no more books.

What exactly is "title view"? Is it tapping on "By Title"? YES

How do you know it is book #990? CC doesn't display a count. Did you actually count them, or are you using desktop calibre to determine the number? Desktop to determine the #

Does the same thing happen if you tap "By Newest"? NO it does not

What happens if you change the calibre settings to as shown below? Be sure to write down the original values so you can put them back. Changing the settings had no effect.

I will send you the debug log in just a minute!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!!!
Old 07-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #27
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, this is strange. It appears that for somewhere around the 990th book, calibre is sending information that CC thinks is illegal. The log doesn't have enough information to tell me what information is causing the problem or which program (CC or calibre) is broken. If you look at the books around that point, is there anything unusual about the metadata? A wonky date? Odd characters in the title or authors names? A bizarre series name or identifier? Do any metadata fields contain single or double quotes?

One thing to try: in calibre sort by title, then move the 960th through the 1000th book to a temporary library. Does the problem go away? If so, then move the books back bit by bit until the problem returns, at which point you will know which book is problematic. Sam could undoubtedly use the metadata from the book to figure out why calibre and CC disagree.

Another thing we can try if you are willing. If you email me the metadata.db file from the offending library then I can try to repeat the problem with calibre in debug mode. I don't know if I can repeat it. Also, if you send me the db I will know what is in your library, which is could easily be a privacy concern on your part. If you are willing, zip it then email it to the same address. Or put it in the cloud somewhere and email me the link.

For completeness:
  • Have you totally shut down and restarted calibre? I mean completely shut it down, not leaving the server running in the task bar.
  • Is the content server using a search expression or a virtual library for that library?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #28
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

I didn't see anything wonky. I am moving the books 960-1000 right now. If this doesn't lick it I will send you the db file. Thanks again!

Have you totally shut down and restarted calibre? I mean completely shut it down, not leaving the server running in the task bar. YES

Is the content server using a search expression or a virtual library for that library? Not that I know of

EDIT: Moving the books did not help! It stopped right at the break where the files were removed. I will be emailing the db as soon as I return the books to the library.

Last edited by HippieWiccan; 07-29-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The problem is the comments in book 1003, "... in the Park". The HTML for the comment is malformed. Open the book, change Comments to the HTML View, then delete the 2 <http:> found on the last two lines. I did that and it works.

I don't have time at the moment to work out which end is broken, calibre or CC. Perhaps neither.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #30
HippieWiccan
Connoisseur

That fixed it! THANK YOU so much!!!