Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2024, 02:52 AM   #1
xavier1
xavier1 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
Question TCL Tab 10 Gen 2 and Active T-Pen Stylus. Where may I get the replacement tips?

Hello,
I got a TCL Tab 10 Gen 2, because it allows me to paint using the Active T-Pen Stylus, it is not a conventional tablet, because it also allows me to use it for taking notes, handwriting, painting, etc., which is cool.
However, there is a surprise behind all this. It is impossible to find the replacement tips for the Active T-Pen and by default it only attach 1 replacement tip.
I tried to find these tips in Amazon and AliExpress but no luck whatsover.
I am wondering if anyone here can help me a bit with this, I need to know where may I purchase the replacement tips for the Active T-Pen or at least, what kind of tips are compatible?
I tried 2 mm thick tips and they do not fit inside the stylus, so I think they must be thinner tips, like 1mm or 1.2 mm, 1.3 mm or so.
Any of you have some information about this?

TCL Tab 10 Gen 2
https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/m...l-tab-10-gen-2

Active T-Pen Stylus
https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/m...e-t-pen-stylus
xavier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 03:21 PM   #2
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
sorry I don't have the answer, but I'm curious how the pen works as I'm owning NXTPAPER 11 now. Can you disable finger touch when you're using the pen? IMO, this is essential to be able to make hand notes on it.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
sorry I don't have the answer, but I'm curious how the pen works as I'm owning NXTPAPER 11 now. Can you disable finger touch when you're using the pen? IMO, this is essential to be able to make hand notes on it.
Depends on the application. Most pen aware applications either don't draw with touch or can disable it. It's not a problem.

The pen needs so little pressure that I can't imagine it needing a replacement tip from wear.

I have the Nxtpaper11 and the official T-Pen (it's USI 2.0 protocol).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:04 PM   #4
xavier1

So the only solution for us is to trash the whole stylus because there are no spare tips for it? Really?
Perhaps we could use trimmer line, it is sold in different thicknesses and perhaps we could adapt it as a tip. I did that with the Wacoms and it works.
I think these tips are about 1 mm o 1.2 mm? Any idea about how may I measure the thickness of these tips with precession?
Old 04-08-2024, 04:38 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I use a Penoval ActiveStylusPen USI 2.0, which sell tips separately.

However, the tips are very sturdy and it is not likely they will wear-out in a very long time on my Nxtpaper 11.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:00 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Wacom stylus fro drawing tables must be 20 years old on original tip. The one on Lenovo X201T is also on original tip (must be about 10?).

The pens for the Elipsa and Sage don't show any tip wear, so I feel I wasted money buying more Kobo tips.

Do note that the TCL T-Pen packaging has a small bag under the cardboard holding the pen that not only has the tip removal tool but a spare tip! Easily overlooked and chucked out!

I expect the tip to outlive the rechargeable cell. Those should be replaceable. The AAAA cell in the Kobo original pen and the two MS compatible pens (without BT function) is cheap and lasts about 6 months. But people have a hatred of batteries or rechargeable pens, which has enabled Wacom with their ancient host induction powered pen to stay in the market. I've used 4 Wacom based devices and I think it's inferior to Apple, MS/Kobo and TCL/USI 2.0. Most POS and Post Office use tethered Wacom stylus here for signing and those are dreadful.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #7
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Thanks for the tip. I've tried to search for USI 2.0 pen in local shops to no avail, but the peonval compatibility list gives a good hint what to search for https://www.penoval.com/en/products/usi20

Nonetheless, it's only out of curiosity since I don't have any good apps to use a pen.

Last edited by plusz; 04-08-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Apps that sensibly use a pen and worth having:
Nebo (also imports PDFs and Nebo files from Kobo). Paid only, worth it for writing and annotating. The handwriting can be converted to a text layer on PDF. PDF can be exported and real text annotation copied off (and separately viewed in Xodo. Also adds an image layer). I bought the pen for Nebo as I'd tried the Apple Pencil on Nebo on the iPad. The Kobo Sage/Elipsa version of Nebo is drastically cut down to suit eink with things like live preview removed. I'll never use the Sage or Elipsa for notes ever again. Not even if battery flat. I have power banks. The iPad has a cut down free version of Nebo. Android has only the paid full version.

Sketch Box Free (some more features on paid version)

Xodo (Free version, no way will I subscribe for ANY software, I'll pay loads if good).

Not so good compared to Nebo is MS One Note. My tame One Note user couldn't believe how much better for shapes and text that Nebo is.

Oddly the Gboard has very good offline handwriting conversion and works as well with a finger tip as a pen. Crazy default settings. Add PC Keyboard & Handwriting and un-select the QWERTY. Turn off all glide except moving finger on spacebar to move cursor. So the Jota text editor or any keyboard input app works great with finger handwriting conversion, without a pen, but not well on eink. The display latency is horrible. Gboard retro-installs on at least as as old as Android 7 instead of horrid ASOP. DO check its theme, glide and PRIVACY (turn off voice and glide and autocorrect and grammar, only have autosuggest).

Decent CAD software on Android isn't as good as stuff on Windows or Linux and is expensive. I don't recommend it.

Snapseed is a simple photo app. It has no setting to differentiate between pen and touch. Not very good, but free.

Not seen any decent sketch apps / photo editing.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-08-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:59 PM   #9
xavier1

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Please, let me see if I've understood everything.
Okay, I guess you mentioned that it is not necessary replacement tips because the included tip could last for 10 years (which will overpass the tablet's life), is that right? So with the included replacement tip it should suffice?

And... I've read you also recommended me this product:

Penoval ActiveStylusPen USI 2.0
https://www.penoval.com/en/products/usi20

Because it has replacement tips
https://www.penoval.com/en/products/usi702nibs

I am wondering if this pen (or stylus) has some lag when using it, or if the drawing experience is smooth? Is this pen universal, so I can use it with the TCL or other tablets?

What do you think about the idea of making tips with 1.2 mm trimmer line? Would they fit inside the original T-Pen?
Old 04-09-2024, 05:00 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1 View Post
I am wondering if this pen (or stylus) has some lag when using it, or if the drawing experience is smooth?
That more depends on the host system. There is lag with the eink reMarkable and none with a Lenovo X201T with Wacom. The lag is different on the Kobo Elipsa and Sage and the same pen has none on an MS Surface. I've used two 3rd party NTrig/MPP pens for Surface 3 or later (without the BT option) and the Kobo pen. The pen makes no difference, but what you use it on does.

The TCL T-Pen is perfect on the NxtPaper 11. Better than Wacom on laptop or Apple pencil on iPad. Likely any USI 2.0 pen is the same.

Quote:
Is this pen universal, so I can use it with the TCL or other tablets?
Only other tablets that use USI 2.0

There are some 3rd party pens that are multi-protocol. Most are not.
In terms of active pens (some, including all Wacom models, are remote powered), the following are incompatible. However some tablets may support more than one protocol:
  1. MS NTrig/MPP used on Surface 3 and later, also Kobo. Some versions have an extra Bluetooth button used by OneNote. Battery and rechargeable versions. Third party versions.
  2. Apple Pencil. Rechargeable only. Third party versions.
  3. Wacom (earlier models). Remote powered. Various button options. Older laptops and digitizer pads such as Bamboo.
  4. Wacom EMR. Though all Wacom pens are really EMR based. The reMarkable and Kindle Scribe. Third party versions exist.
  5. There may be a 3rd Wacom version. Not sure which Wacom is used on MS Surface 1 & 2.
  6. USI 2.0. The TCL T-Pen and others. Battery and rechargeable versions.
  7. I don't know which system the Samsung S-Pen uses.

There are also some obsolete styluses with BT and pressure sensing for tablets without a digitizer. Only specific apps use them. Capacitive touch existed since 1980s but was rarely used as resolution for Windows like GUIs, "graffiti", annotation, signatures etc was wanted, so high resolution resistive touch was used up to 2010. IR touch is even lower resolution and was used from 1980s on CRTS for interactive systems on shops and museums. It was used on earlier eInk because capacitive and resistive touch need transparent metallic layers in front of the panel which reduce brightness and contrast. A digitiser is a layer behind the display with the pen having a pressure sensor. The system can be the pen sensing location and transmitting it, or the digitiser sensing the pen.

Quote:
What do you think about the idea of making tips with 1.2 mm trimmer line? Would they fit inside the original T-Pen?
I'd not bother. The bought tips have a nice rounded point and only the lightest touch, like a liquid ink pen (nib or capillary or brush tip), is needed. A Pentel roller ball needs more pressure and a regular pencil or ballpoint needs much more pressure.

The tip has to fit well so it's held by connection to pressure sensor and yet moves smoothly without friction in the opening of the pen. Some pens use a different tip scheme.

The tips should last a long time unless abused.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:08 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Note that "palm rejection" and drawing or pixel "precision" are not decided by the pen model, but the hardware and software of the digitiser in the phone, tablet or other host device. The digitizer resolution should be at least twice the display resolution to avoid jiggling, but the tablet maker never tells what that is.

Pressure steps (512, 1024, 4096 etc) is irrelevant if the Pen is compatible and works properly.
Tilt and orientation are functions of the protocol used. Even if supported almost nothing uses it.

The only important thing is that it's a compatible system.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:03 PM   #12
plusz
Addict

As for the pen use and tips wear out I've never replaced the tip in any of the pens I own, but truth be told, I hardly ever use them.

Thanks for recommending the apps. Did you mean https://www.nebo.app/ ? Looks nice. I don't mind one-off purchase. Too bad they don't seem to be selling the android app outside Google store. I won't ever buy anything from G after they f* me up. Sure the apps in their store are cheap, I had quite a few. However when I moved they didn't let me change the location without revealing a credit card to them. No no no no! The nail to the coffin was when I decided to buy a Play Store gift card to my nephew. I bought it, sent to my nephew but then Google said it's invalid for use outside of USA. I complained to G, then filed a charge back to CC, no luck as the G TOC state things in the fine print on page X.Y... a big f*, so that was it, I deleted G account, losing all of my purchased play store apps without any regret.

Never mind the above story, I'm actually not much interested in hand writting. However I'd like to get better apps for PDF and ebooks handling. I really like the Book Reader app, but it doesn't have 2 pages view which would be useful in landscape orientation.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:39 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It took me about two weeks to get Google to apply the Gift card to my account. They basically lied and then refused to discuss why there were the issues. I stuck at it several times a day and eventually was able to use the gift card for nebo. I'd especially got the tablet and the gift card to run nebo.
See PlayStore https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=358881
and Nebo https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=359189

I'm hoping with the new EU DMA since March that eventually more companies will sell Android apps direct, or have free demo on Playstore but in app upgrade is a direct purchase.

Xodo annotates PDFs but the 2 page view starts on the Left, which is wrong! Pocketbook has 2 page view for epub or pdf and the first pdf page is correctly on the right (For Left to Right languages and books, I've not checked Hebrew, Arabic, some Asians etc). It means when proofing a PDF for print that Pocketbook has the margins (inner and outer as per paper bound) but Xodo has them reversed. Usually the inner "binding" margin is larger than paper edge margins for novels.

Xodo does no conversion of annotations to text. Nebo allows any mix of drawing, handwriting, and converted to text handwriting on an imported PDF, which can be exported.

So I use Xodo for old magazines and PDF generally, Pocketbook for epub and proofing PDFs, and Nebo for advanced PDF annotation, shapes/charts like OneNote/Visio, writing as text, drawings and organisation in heirarchy.

Jota is good for plain text either USB, BT, touch keyboard or Google Gboard handwriting to text (finger or pen).

Last edited by Quoth; 04-09-2024 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fix

Tags
active, gen 2, t-pen, tab 10, tcl