Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
For good fantasy with engaging characters, George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series is extremely good, and probably right up your street if you like Robin Hobb. The first volume is "A Game of Thrones", and there are three more written with a final one on the way. I'm just re-reading the first three before reading the fourth for the first time and finding them completely absorbing. (They're also much easier on the arm muscles on an e-book reader!)

In SF you might well enjoy Iain M. Banks (not to be confused with Iain Banks -- the same author when he's not writing science fiction) and Ken MacLeod. I'd also recommend C.J. Cherryh, though her SF isn't actually any more cheery than the Morgaine books :-) I'd also second the recommendation for Neal Stephenson's "Anathem".
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Hmm I just happened to look into the suggested Carol Berg's "Rai-Kirah" series and I'm intrigued; more by the reviews than the vague plot summary on Amazon.

I think I'll give this a shot!
Carol Berg's Rai-Kirah series is very enjoyable. But if you're not sure about it read Song of the Beast first. It's a standalone novel and gives a good impression of her skills.....

Oh, and Carol Berg is very approachable herself. I mailed her twice (the last time to ask if here older series will be released as e-books (answer: It's in the publishers hands )) and both times she answered me the day after. I find that a big plus for a writer (but of course it says nothing about her skills).

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 12-17-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: afterthought
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
and there are three more written with a final one on the way.
HO HO HO (says santa. ) The one on the way is certainly NOT the last one in the series....... At least one more will come out, maybe even two. I' not shure if GRRM himself knows right now

Ah, a cut/paste out of the wiki : ' Originally planned as a trilogy, the series now consists of four published volumes with three more projected.'

ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I suppose it was only a matter of time before George R. R. Martin popped up.

The Song of Ice and Fire series is very well written, with deep characters and believable motivations... but... I just can't for the life of me get through it all. I own the first 2 books in hard cover and I've attempted to read them twice now. Both times I've made it about half way into the 2nd book before I just can't do it anymore. I definitely enjoyed the first book and the things it hinted at, but that 2nd book just grinds me into apathy about it all. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I just need to push through to get onto the rest of the material except I don't feel I should have to push through anything when reading for pleasure!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
HO HO HO (says santa. ) The one on the way is certainly NOT the last one in the series....... At least one more will come out, maybe even two. I' not shure if GRRM himself knows right now

Ah, a cut/paste out of the wiki : ' Originally planned as a trilogy, the series now consists of four published volumes with three more projected.'

Well, he better hadn't die before he's finished! Come to think of it, *I* better hadn't die before he's finished either.

It's funny how it never happens the other way round. "Originally planned as a trilogy, the series now consists of one slim volume, which wraps up the story nicely and ties up all the loose ends, leaving no room for a sequel."
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
If you like A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge then I'd recommend Neil Stephenson's Anathem, because it has that epic space opera type feel. However, it is hard to get into, but if you liked A Fire Upon the Deep because of the technology aspect then I'd recommend The Diamond Age and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. These books are much easier reads (personally, I liked them both a lot more than Anathem).

Another one I keep telling people to read is Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress. It was originally released as a novella, and the novella won the Hugo Award and Nebula Award. I've only read the novel and its sequels, but they are excellent. Great characters in a future world based on nanotechnology. She is an outstanding author.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I suppose it was only a matter of time before George R. R. Martin popped up.

The Song of Ice and Fire series is very well written, with deep characters and believable motivations... but... I just can't for the life of me get through it all. I own the first 2 books in hard cover and I've attempted to read them twice now. Both times I've made it about half way into the 2nd book before I just can't do it anymore. I definitely enjoyed the first book and the things it hinted at, but that 2nd book just grinds me into apathy about it all. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I just need to push through to get onto the rest of the material except I don't feel I should have to push through anything when reading for pleasure!
You know what kills me? The first chapter of the first book was one of the most (*uggh, I'm stuck trying to find the right word, but suffice to say it was awesome and exciting*), but then it just goes on and on and on. The storyline is incredible, but damn it is just so much.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #23
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
I think really what I need is some deeply engaging material, something that I can get involved with and grabs me emotionally.
Have you tried Connie Willis's The Doomsday Book? (But if you haven't, and decide to read it, be sure to have a hankie handy...)
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #24
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Recommending C.J Cherryh to someone who likes Alastair Reynolds?

Especially Downbelow Station? Eh. It is like recommending chess to someone who likes bungee jumping. C. J. Cherryh is stale, slow paced and outright BORING.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #25
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Recommending C.J Cherryh to someone who likes Alastair Reynolds?

Especially Downbelow Station? Eh. It is like recommending chess to someone who likes bungee jumping. C. J. Cherryh is stale, slow paced and outright BORING.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #26
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I think you'd love something like Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #27
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
The one Author I would recommend to any Sci Fi reader is Orson Scott Card. Some of his work is available on Sony Bookstore and also BoB.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've read a few of the Ender books and liked them well enough.

Just to clarify - I'm now about 1/2 way through the first Rai-kirah book by Carol Berg. I'm definitely enjoying it. Kind of an odd thing because some of the bigger plot points and general set up of the world feel a bit... /shrug, but I enjoy the characters, the interactions and the growth of the characters so the rest of it doesn't bother me.

There are a few of these books in this series so I'll have to read through all these and then I'll revisit this thread because I see a few other recommendations that caught my interest.

Thanks everyone!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I've read a few of the Ender books and liked them well enough.

Just to clarify - I'm now about 1/2 way through the first Rai-kirah book by Carol Berg. I'm definitely enjoying it. Kind of an odd thing because some of the bigger plot points and general set up of the world feel a bit... /shrug, but I enjoy the characters, the interactions and the growth of the characters so the rest of it doesn't bother me.

There are a few of these books in this series so I'll have to read through all these and then I'll revisit this thread because I see a few other recommendations that caught my interest.

Thanks everyone!
It gets better. I'm glad you are enjoying it so far though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #30
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Thank you, Thank you for posting details of the Doomsday Book!!! I read it years ago and wanted to go back for a second look but couldn't for the life of me remember the title or the author!
Does anyone know where it's available as an ebook though? I've tried the most obvious sites but can't find any of Willis's books in any digital format....

dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote