Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
warenjc
warenjc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle not starting on start

I have Kindle E ink (four button w/navigation button in center.)

All books I download to my Kindle, start where they are supposed to start accept mine. They even "Go To" Beginning where they are supposed to. I use Kindlegen compiler. I load the content.opf file to Kindlegen from the OEBPS folder. But when I open my ebook on my kindle it always starts on the page PRIOR to the start page. Maddening. I believe everything is as it should be. What am I missing or what do I look for?

My start page is the first entry in the content.xhtml file. Prior xhtml files are the toc, reviews, title, and copyright xhtml files.

OPF/Guide:
<reference href="Text/content.xhtml" title="start" type="text" />

XHTML:
<body>
<h3 id="start"><a id="prologue"></a><span class="bold"><small>PROLOGUE</small></span></h3>

CSS:
h3 {
page-break-before: always;
}

Semantics OK at "text"

I am puzzled. I have extracted other books and the opf and xhtml coding are apparently set up the same way. The only difference I have found in one is the guide's title was "startup page".

HELP

Last edited by warenjc; 07-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.
warenjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Not a Sigil issue of course. Perhaps an option in Kindlegen?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moved to Kindle Formats.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by warenjc View Post
I have Kindle E ink (four button w/navigation button in center.)

All books I download to my Kindle, start where they are supposed to start accept mine. They even "Go To" Beginning where they are supposed to. I use Kindlegen compiler. I load the content.opf file to Kindlegen from the OEBPS folder. But when I open my ebook on my kindle it always starts on the page PRIOR to the start page. Maddening. I believe everything is as it should be. What am I missing or what do I look for?

My start page is the first entry in the content.xhtml file. Prior xhtml files are the toc, reviews, title, and copyright xhtml files.

OPF/Guide:
<reference href="Text/content.xhtml" title="start" type="text" />

XHTML:
<body>
<h3 id="start"><a id="prologue"></a><span class="bold"><small>PROLOGUE</small></span></h3>

CSS:
h3 {
page-break-before: always;
}

Semantics OK at "text"

I am puzzled. I have extracted other books and the opf and xhtml coding are apparently set up the same way. The only difference I have found in one is the guide's title was "startup page".

HELP
Has your ebook several .xhtml files or just one? If it has several, then, does this code...

Code:
<body>
...belong to content.xhtml file? Because according to your entry in the <guide> section "<reference href="Text/content.xhtml" title="start" type="text" />" your book will start at the BEGINNING of content.xhtml file AND NOT at id="start" (or id="prologue"). If you want that the book starts at id="start" then your entry in the guide section should be:

Code:
<reference href="Text/content.xhtml#start" title="beginning" type="text" />
(in "title" you can write anything; I wrote "beginning" but "start" also will work).

Regards
Rubén

Last edited by RbnJrg; 07-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I say this with all the love in the world (and for the sanity of everyone beating their heads against this particular wall): just forget about dictating where the ebook initially opens. If Amazon doesn't like the location you've chosen, they'll change it. Readers who don't care; don't care. And readers who DO care will always back up to see if they've missed anything relevant.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
warenjc

Thank you so much to everybody. I WILL take everything said and try it. I have been beating my head against the wall for a month now. Thank you guys.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
warenjc

Several xhtml files. Starts in content. Thank you!!!!! Been beating my head against the wall on this one. Obviously I'm just learning. I'm off to try your fix. Thanks again.